Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:12 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.g.harpool View Post
I am so sick and tired of these types of generalizations.

And that is really nothing more than one gargantuan generalization. How many times have we heard it in various forms? South Florida is a dump where reggaeton-blaring Hispanics will rob your grandmother and run you off of I-95, while North Florida is Shangri-La with honey flowing in rivers, nothing but impeccably polite people who will roll a red carpet out in front of you wherever you walk, and money literally falling from trees because everything is so cheap. Enough with this nonsense. As a person who (mostly) grew up in North Florida, but chose to live in South Florida for cultural and economic/career reasons, I reject it - in fact, I emphatically reject it.

This is really a preferences thing, though. I would never be as brash as to say that North Florida is "unlivable", but it does not at all suit my preferences. I have enough common sense to recognize that the same things that so strongly pushed me away from North Florida and so strongly attracted me to South Florida would have the polar opposite effects on a different group of people. For me, immigration means diversity and being able to live next to a veritable representation of the world. I do not enjoy living next to a bunch of short-sighted bigots who cannot extrapolate reality outside of their little homogeneous, 10,000-resident fiefdom. Some people enjoy that type of life, and they have their choice of communities in North Florida, particularly in the Panhandle. It does not imply that North Florida is more "livable" than South Florida; the meaning of that word depends very much on the person you ask. I do not find North Florida livable by my standards. Just ask me why, and I can give you a book.

Again, I have heard the "politeness and hospitality" argument applied to North Floridians (and also by these rather loud "half-backers" who view Georgia and Tennessee as some sort of Promised Land) a billion times, primarily by people who have never lived in North Florida. First, I find it so incredible that people are so impressed by the superficial; they go to some North Florida town like Perry for a day or two, hear a customer service person say "Y'all have a nice day now!" and think "Well oh my, this is paradise" - and that is often the limit of their knowledge of the region. And secondly, tt's all relative. South Floridians are no ruder than people in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, or any other large, densely populated urban agglomeration. A brief reading of history in this country, meanwhile, reminds people that small-town people in the South are "hospitable" only up to a certain extent (namely, to white, heterosexual, Protestant Christians.) I mind my own business, and other than some inane drivers, I really haven't had any problems with "rude" South Floridians.

As far as the economy, Northern Florida isn't known as the "welfare belt" of the state for nothing. How many Fortune 1000 companies are based in Tallahassee, Pensacola, and Jacksonville as compared to the bottom 3 counties? Why do all of the major consulting, law, and engineering firms have their largest offices in the state in South Florida, if they even have offices at all in northern Florida cities? Cost of living may be higher here, but the salaries in South Florida are the highest in the state outside of Naples.

It's clear that South Florida-bashing is a favorite pasttime of many people on this board, many of whom would be well-advised to move, as others have suggested time and time again. But as a person who has lived in the "rural paradise" of North Florida for many years, I fell that somebody needs to provide a bit of a reality-check and some balance to the discussion.
Very well said! South Florida is no worse than any other urban area in the US. Have you ever been to the West Side of Chicago? Go there and then critisize So.Fla. It all comes down to preference/tolerance. I like eating at ethnic restaurants and appreciate cultural diversity. I do not appreciate closed-minded attitudes- I just don't get it but hey- to each their own. Excuse meas I go andblare my reggeton music
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,442 times
*shrug* I like reggeton

Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
reggeton... worst music.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:38 AM

109 posts, read 439,951 times
I do not think it is so much South Florida bashing as it is preference or lifestyle. I have said many times on this forum as a young man the nightlife, excitement, beaches etc. were a real draw card. This is no longer my thing. As far as people looking to Northern Florida as a paradise on earth, it is not. South Florida is what it is because there is no changing it, like it or leave it. As for Northern Florida they have a chance at change as we have all become a little smarter regarding land use. Rememember, I was a County Board Memember and was on the zoning board as well as made my living in the Real Estate field so am aware of the pitfalls of lack of land regulation. I always say land use should be regulated but not restricted. Northern Florida does not have the sugar beaches or the Newy York money pipe line but it has the ability to mold that portion of the state into an area that allows people to live in a great climate, natural beauty and with the proper incentives and regulations they can attract business. Take any area, why does it thrive and have a better tax base, schools, etc. Planning!! There is no more coastline to develop and the Southern Florida lifestyle is cast in cement so again neither side needs to bash, I am considered a"Redneck" but we rather be called country boys not because we fit some rebel flag, pick up driving, gun waving nuts but we enjoy a laid back lifestyle. If someone else likes it "Hot and Spicey", have at it. This probably neither added nor detracted from the original post but hey, like the young man said, "freedom of the net". Ain't it great. PS. When I lived in southern Florida, I drove a Mercedes, I know drive a full size 4x4 truck and my other vehicle is a Yukon with an 11" lift kit. I am 62 and expect I will always drive a Truck, now am I put in a certain class??

Old 11-21-2010, 03:43 PM

210 posts, read 665,074 times
"Northwest Florida folks talk with a twang and invite you in with Dixie hospitality. Oaks and pines, not palms and orange trees, grace roadsides brightened with magnolias, camellias, and azalea blossoms. Restaurants serve fried catfish and hush puppies. This may be Northern Florida, but it's still the Deep South, sure as neighboring Alabama--and much surer than Florida's southern reaches, where influences from the Yankee states hold sway (Walton, and Kennedy 277)." Walton, Chelle Koster, and Sara Kennedy. Fun with the Family Florida. Rev. ed. 1. Guilford, Connecticut : Morris Book Publishing, 2008. 277. Print.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Vineyards View Post
I do not think it is so much South Florida bashing as it is preference or lifestyle.
Agreed.
I like the oaks and pines.
Quote:
Northern Florida does not have the sugar beaches
Wait a minute.
Have you been to northwest Florida?
I don't have the time now, but have posted photos here before of nw FL's gorgeous beaches.
Anyway, I agree that it is a matter of preference and lifestyle.
I have not been to church in the five years I've lived here (20 months on the northwest side) and have not yet been ostracized and have plenty of friends.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 PM

210 posts, read 665,074 times
Northwest Florida Beaches are like Dixie Crystals between your toes.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,106 times
Tallrick always sounds like one of those bitter old grandpa's who doesn't know anything about being cool anymore. Who the hell wants to live in boring ass North Florida? South Florida is "too crowded" because thats where most people want to live.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:35 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
[quote=clean_polo;18682015]Tallrick always sounds like one of those bitter old grandpa's who doesn't know anything about being cool anymore. Who the hell wants to live in boring ass North Florida? South Florida is "too crowded" because thats where most people want to live.[/quote]

Lol, yeah... S FL is a real gem.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
I am amazed that this subject is still being commented on. In the 3+ years since I wrote this I moved to the country and am having more fun than I ever did in southeast Florida. There are some good riding areas, plenty of room for all my stuff, no more Team Metro and the neighbors actually want to talk to you. I still hear gunshots but it's usually rats or snakes getting shot at instead of people. I have finally been able to do research on my algae fuels without hassles. Key Largo was better than Miami, but when I gave up boating things got boring. It is amazing how many of my Miami friends come to visit here, despite being in the middle of nowhere.

Living expenses have dropped drastically since I produce my own electric power and all my vegetables. It is not boring here at all, and as long as I have fuel for my cars/trucks I can still drive to the south Florida city of my choice. I need to go back to my house in Key Largo to finish transforming it from the 50's to the 2010's. The last load of my stuff will be heading out in a 20 foot container and I will decide whether to rent my old home or sell it. In a way I miss my old home, as it was my first and dad and I built it. So I will be in the Miami area a lot more for a month or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida