Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:32 PM

11 posts, read 30,169 times

Advertisements

My husband 4 kids and myself have been trying to move from INDIANA to FLORIDA for a year. After my husband got a job down there, we finally sold our house and thought everything was going on track! We get down here on Labor day Weekend VERY EXCITED!
But nothing went as planned. We moved to Land O Lakes, Florida ('bout 15 miles north of tampa) in Pasco County. We didn't like it at all. Tampa is very busy and way too large for us. Land o Lakes is a smaller town, but still growing and you have to drive far for everything...and you aren't even in the country. The Pasco schools are rated "A" but we dont' like them at all! They do a continuous education program that can be very frustrating if your child is ahead of curriculum. Not only that. I heard that FL Schools are ranked in the lower 15% in the country. Don't think we didn't research this. We researched everything. On this website and on others, and EDUCATION STARTS AT HOME, so that wasn't our only dislike. To make a long story much shorter....
My husband got a another job in Sarasota and we are looking for an area to live. We have more time to go down and investigate, but thought you guys could give me some insight on some areas. In Indiana, we lived in a community of 3500 people and had the small town appeal. We did have to drive to get to any civilization, but we really didn't mind that because we loved our town. My parents live in Marco Island and I wanted to be close to them, also we hated the weather there and didn't like the lost opportunities that my kids would have there compared to here. IS THERE ANYTHING LIKE IT SOUTH OF HERE? I am looking to rent to own for about 1500 month. Bradenton? How about Parish? What about south of Sarasota... North Port or Venice (a little affordable so it seems) or any town you know of in between! PLEASE HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 01:38 AM

64 posts, read 233,577 times
Manatee county is less expensive than Sarasota county. I suppose your choice of locations has something to do with the location of your husbands job in Sarasota.

Lakewood Ranch and the surrounding area is very nice. All new schools, and I think that have good ratings. I live east of Lakewood Ranch about 5 miles. ut a telephone exchange of Myaka City. East Manatee county is a nice place to live. There are numerous small communities, most of which are new.

If I can be of more assistance let me know.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:38 AM

272 posts, read 1,531,675 times
Florida schools are ranked #29 out of 50 in the nation. Pasco County schools are ranked #35 out of 67 in the state. Indiana is ranked #24 in the nation so Florida is not significantly worse than the state you left, they probably just implement things differently here and maybe not as efficiently as your previous school district.

Sarasota is pricey. You might be able to find something small to rent for 1500 but not to buy. The Venice - North Port area is definitely less expensive and they are smaller towns but your husband may be looking at a 1 hour commute from there depending on where his job is. North Port or Port Charlotte would be closer than Venice. Also, as the previous poster mentioned, some places in Manatee County would be good to look at too. There are some parts of the greater Bradenton area that aren't so great so you definitely want to go check it out in person before you make the leap. Have you thought about the eastern side of Hillsborough County or even Polk County?

Regarding the school districts down there, here are the county rankings for those areas. As I said before, there are 67 school districts in the state:

Hillsborough - 26
Polk - 49
Manatee - 42
Sarasota - 8
Charlotte - 9

There are usually good and bad schools in any district regardless of their rank so it is still important to consider the actual school as well as the overall neighborhood you live in. While I agree that it is important that parents be involved in their children's education, I do not think that the schools should be completely absolved of any responsibility in their education so the quality of schools does matter.

It sounds like you would probably like living on the panhandle of Florida but it is pretty far from Marco Island.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:55 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post
Florida schools are ranked #29 out of 50 in the nation. Pasco County schools are ranked #35 out of 67 in the state. Indiana is ranked #24 in the nation so Florida is not significantly worse than the state you left, they probably just implement things differently here and maybe not as efficiently as your previous school district.

Sarasota is pricey. You might be able to find something small to rent for 1500 but not to buy. The Venice - North Port area is definitely less expensive and they are smaller towns but your husband may be looking at a 1 hour commute from there depending on where his job is. North Port or Port Charlotte would be closer than Venice. Also, as the previous poster mentioned, some places in Manatee County would be good to look at too. There are some parts of the greater Bradenton area that aren't so great so you definitely want to go check it out in person before you make the leap. Have you thought about the eastern side of Hillsborough County or even Polk County?

Regarding the school districts down there, here are the county rankings for those areas. As I said before, there are 67 school districts in the state:

Hillsborough - 26
Polk - 49
Manatee - 42
Sarasota - 8
Charlotte - 9

There are usually good and bad schools in any district regardless of their rank so it is still important to consider the actual school as well as the overall neighborhood you live in. While I agree that it is important that parents be involved in their children's education, I do not think that the schools should be completely absolved of any responsibility in their education so the quality of schools does matter.

It sounds like you would probably like living on the panhandle of Florida but it is pretty far from Marco Island.
deckardc has given you some excellent advice and suggestions here, and I pretty much agree with all of it. If your husband was staying in Tampa, I would have suggested you look east to Polk County, where I live (Lakeland) you would love this community. However, going to Sarasota will be tougher. Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice and all those towns south are MOSTLY geared toward retirees and tourists. Economy is bad now in North Port and Charlotte, Venice is a pretty nice little town (but very old population overall). Sarasota is extremely expensive, not that family oriented. Bradenton has a lot of very sketchy parts, NW Bradenton is nice and less crime, but there again, mostly older population. Your best bet in Bradenton is probably Lakewood Ranch, presuming you like those planned developments.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:58 AM

132 posts, read 472,293 times
Yeah, I think you are jumping from the frying pan into the fire....sorry....Parish..wow you think you have to drive far now....go to Parish!! my brother lived there....Good luck, whatever you decide. We are looking to move to MA from here, so if you decide on Plant City...can make you a sweet deal on a house!! its okay here....you have to drive a bit to get to the maul (yes, thats how I spell it), but definitely more country!!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:00 AM

gypsychic,

You need to get out of Lakeland every now and then. Sarasota/Bradenton is a lot different than you describe in your posts.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohlendorf View Post
gypsychic,

You need to get out of Lakeland every now and then. Sarasota/Bradenton is a lot different than you describe in your posts.
Sorry, but I lived there for 17 years. I know exactly what it is. Plus my in-laws stay there every year. For me, it is exactly as I describe in my posts. But hey, different strokes and all. I am a Florida native. Lived in Tampa 30 years, Sarasota/Bradenton 17 years, Dade City 12 years, and now Lakeland. Totally familiar with all of it, thank you. And if it wasn't for Lakeland, I too would have left Florida long ago. End of story.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 AM

49 posts, read 188,398 times
I am a long time resident of Bradenton. I noticed that people directed you to Lakewood Ranch but there also are some great places in NW and W Bradenton. Spend some time looking at all areas. Many folks harbor ill feelings for certain locations and compare the communities to 50yrs ago. Things have changed every where. Just keep you options open and visit all areas.

NW/W Bradenton offers my family many benefits. My children have a great after school program at GT Bray Park. My daughter plays softball close by off 75 st and Cheers at Gt Bray Park. My son plays Baseball, soccer and swimming at GT Bray Park. I play COED softball on Sunday's at GT Bray Park and my entire family enjoys the Dog Park at GT Bray and the exercise trail. For me NW/W Bradenton is ideal for me as a working parent as my children activities are all close by.... I feel safe in my neighborhood and we have a mix of younger families and elderly.

Disregard other's negative reports and actually come see different area's for yourself.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Default I totally agree with ya Tropics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
I am a long time resident of Bradenton. I noticed that people directed you to Lakewood Ranch but there also are some great places in NW and W Bradenton. Spend some time looking at all areas. Many folks harbor ill feelings for certain locations and compare the communities to 50yrs ago. Things have changed every where. Just keep you options open and visit all areas.

NW/W Bradenton offers my family many benefits. My children have a great after school program at GT Bray Park. My daughter plays softball close by off 75 st and Cheers at Gt Bray Park. My son plays Baseball, soccer and swimming at GT Bray Park. I play COED softball on Sunday's at GT Bray Park and my entire family enjoys the Dog Park at GT Bray and the exercise trail. For me NW/W Bradenton is ideal for me as a working parent as my children activities are all close by.... I feel safe in my neighborhood and we have a mix of younger families and elderly.

Disregard other's negative reports and actually come see different area's for yourself.
I agree with you "tropics". I live east of Lakewood Ranch, but don't know much about NW Bradenton. I spent my first 12 years in the Palm Aire Country Club area before I built my home in east Manatee county. However, I would not bash the area since I don't know much about it.

To many know it all's and individuals that just want to stir the pot. There are good areas, better areas, not so good areas, and bad areas in virtually any town or city in these 50 states.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:49 PM

548 posts, read 541,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post

Thank you for the information. Our daughter wants to go to IMG Academies in Bradenton, but we were hesitant after reading some of the posts. We will check out the areas as you have suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida