Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 6,100 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to florida. Looking for a place to live with a low cost of living and jobs in the manufacturing industry. My husband has been a supervisor in manufacturing for ten years. Looking for a warmer climate with job opportunities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:43 AM

272 posts, read 1,531,675 times
What type of manufacturing? What are your other requirements for a place to live? Where are you moving from?

Off the cuff, I would suggest Crestview. The cost of living is among the lowest in the state, there are companies there involved in aerospace manufacturing, it's in the top ranked school district in the state, it is less than an hour to excellent beaches, and it's a small town but it is about 20 miles from larger towns (Fort Walton Beach and Destin) with more shopping and dining options.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabee69 View Post
Looking to relocate to florida. Looking for a place to live with a low cost of living and jobs in the manufacturing industry. My husband has been a supervisor in manufacturing for ten years. Looking for a warmer climate with job opportunities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My husband was a shipping and receiving supervisor for a window manufacturer and supervisor of material handlers and paintline for an aluminum extrusion company. Moving from New York. Have looked into Nokomis-Venice area, Englewood-port charlotte area.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:31 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
We have some of the top ten companies in Aerospace Industries in Fort Walton Beach & Crestview area. This will include the Boeing, L3, BAE, MTC and others and many smaller companies that support the huge military contracts in the area. One company has a $13 billion contract to support the Special Ops requirements for the DOD... So if aerospace is i your trait, this might be the place....

Old 11-16-2007, 07:25 AM

131 posts, read 184,216 times
I have to agree with Sunrico....Crestview area may be what would accomodate your needs. Cost of living is much more managable compared to other areas. There is also now a new company relocating to Crestview called Seegar aerospace. That brings another job opportunity to many.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:59 AM

272 posts, read 1,531,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabee69 View Post
My husband was a shipping and receiving supervisor for a window manufacturer and supervisor of material handlers and paintline for an aluminum extrusion company. Moving from New York. Have looked into Nokomis-Venice area, Englewood-port charlotte area.
The Venice/Port Charlotte area is fairly nice and the cost of living is pretty low there, however, they are very small towns filled with retirees. From what I understand, there is very little there in the way of work in any field.

Here are a couple of websites about the manufacturing industry in FL. They may give you an idea of places to start looking based on work availability. Your husband may not find the exact type of manufacturing he was working in before but his skills could probably be applied to many of these companies. It looks like there are a few companies in the greater Tampa and Orlando areas but those places have gotten to be some of the more expensive in the state. It is possible to find smaller, more affordable communities within 45 min. or so of those towns. Lakeland or Titusville/Cocoa/Melbourne are still relatively affordable.

If you want a smaller town like Venice, I still wouldn't rule out Crestview. I know quite a few people who live in that area and they all seem to like it. Anything connected to military manufacturing is probably going to be a stable job on the panhandle.

Florida Manufacturers

Manufacturers Association of Florida - Home

Old 11-16-2007, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 44,640 times
We have been living in Gulf Breeze for the last 10 years, and I agree with Sunrico. Crestview looks like the best choice.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:31 PM

69 posts, read 235,931 times
In Venice there is PGT Industries that manufactures windows and doors. The cost of living in Venice isn't bad and is a great location to raise children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida