Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times

Advertisements

Waaay to much to read but I can blame the recent (and not so recent) political leaders of our fair state for "growth" at any cost and actually encouraging and promoting the idea that Florida is a cheap place to do business. Cheap to most businesses means low wages and no taxes. Florida was also one of the first states to declare war on teachers and other civil servants, except the cops (only a matter of time, though). What kind of a society does that? I realize the war on teachers and others is part of a bigger nation wide divide and conquer campaign to put the final nail in the Union coffin, but I live here and I don't appreciate Florida always being the testing ground for ALEC and Koch experiments.

"Florida"itself is just a set of boundaries and blaming a set of boundaries for anything is missing the point. Citizens need to pay attention to what happens in state politics on a micro level-the devil is in the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
IT WAS YOU!
I don't rat out smokers or a PDA. Just trying to get a straight answer.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:54 PM

116 posts, read 144,069 times
Default I remember when

I remember when Busch Gardens passports was 10 dollars for the season, now they are more because you get more. I remember when the rides at BG was on the elephants.
Attached Thumbnails
What happened and why-com01235.jpg  

Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
You have summarized the exact reason that I never had kids. The writing on the wall was clear to me a long time ago. I wouldnt worry about 30-40 years down the pike. None of us are going to be here.
Thats a whole different story, but mankind is not going to last that long. If we do, we will be living like the 1700's.

Think things are tough now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
The thing you and a lot of people do not take into consideration is a big epidemic that is panning out, who is going to be driving Florida's economy in 30-40 years? Aside from tourism, the retired population is going to decline and everything that is associated along with it. Those in their 40's will not be retiring as quickly as their parents, some might work till they keel over because they had flat wages, or saw their wages go in reverse along with their jobs go to China or India, went into debt in the process and etc or went in debt due to excessive job losses. Florida only pays max $275 a week for unemployment, among the worst in the nation. Many burnt though that and dipped into their 401K or took out a HELOC and lost years of equity in the process.

The big demographic that willt change things is the 20 somethings...the me first, instant gratification generation...new iPhone is coming out, got to have it....oh I just got one last year, paying $120 month for service to have it. They do not save money, have ton's of debt both student loans and credit cards, cannot find jobs that will match what their grandparents had in terms of benefits, pensions, raises and stability. Not to even mention cost of food, gas, health care, housing, car insurance and etc.

Times are different, gone are the days that a guy could get a job out of high school at the local plant and make enough money to afford a nice house, a wife that may have worked or not, raised a couple kids or more, saved for retirement, had new cars every couple of years, paid for their house in 15 years and sold it for a mint and retired to Florida, paid cash for their house they bought new and have two new Lexus or Mercedes sitting in the garage. I know a lot of people like this, plenty.

Now back to the 20 somethings, I have plenty under my management and a few still live with their parents, one is 24 and does not seem to care about the future, all he talks about is partying and drinking every Friday. They can't save a dime, always buying the latest and greatest smartphones, new cars and toys. Some live on their own and I can imagine they live paycheck to paycheck to fund the lifestyle. Never bring lunch in, they go out to eat everyday, typically to Sushi and pricey locations, almost always walk in with a Starbucks cup in the morning.

So looking at that, ask yourself the number of people who will be able to afford to retire anywhere? Little alone here, since Florida lives off of Tourism, it should be okay, but the hit on other industries based on the Active Adult and Senior Population will surely have an effect. All of these 55+ communities will surely have to change the rules, maybe allow Section 8 because there will be more poverty and less jobs here.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 PM

Keep on blaming Florida. You need to understand that our nation as a whole and the way of life that we've been accustomed to is going to be extinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Waaay to much to read but I can blame the recent (and not so recent) political leaders of our fair state for "growth" at any cost and actually encouraging and promoting the idea that Florida is a cheap place to do business. Cheap to most businesses means low wages and no taxes. Florida was also one of the first states to declare war on teachers and other civil servants, except the cops (only a matter of time, though). What kind of a society does that? I realize the war on teachers and others is part of a bigger nation wide divide and conquer campaign to put the final nail in the Union coffin, but I live here and I don't appreciate Florida always being the testing ground for ALEC and Koch experiments.

"Florida"itself is just a set of boundaries and blaming a set of boundaries for anything is missing the point. Citizens need to pay attention to what happens in state politics on a micro level-the devil is in the details.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 PM

If you really want a straight answer read my DM to you. That is about as straight as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I don't rat out smokers or a PDA. Just trying to get a straight answer.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:38 PM

Its $75 A DAY now, but it sure has come a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman2012 View Post
I remember when Busch Gardens passports was 10 dollars for the season, now they are more because you get more. I remember when the rides at BG was on the elephants.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
You have summarized the exact reason that I never had kids. The writing on the wall was clear to me a long time ago. I wouldnt worry about 30-40 years down the pike. None of us are going to be here.
Thats a whole different story, but mankind is not going to last that long. If we do, we will be living like the 1700's.

Think things are tough now?
1700s...I would prefer the late 1800s, gunslinger with spurs and a cowboy hat.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 PM

116 posts, read 144,069 times
Quote:
Its $75 A DAY now, but it sure has come a long way.
You are right, but look at the bonus of the platinum pass from busch gardens.

"Unlimited general admission to Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, SeaWorld Orlando, SeaWorld San Antonio,
SeaWorld San Diego, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Sesame Place, Aquatica Orlando,
Aquatica San Antonio, Adventure Island, Water Country U.S.A

Complimentary general parking at park of membership for adults and seniors

Savings on single-day admission guest tickets at park of membership

10% off merchandise at park of membership

10% off food and beverage at park of membership

Savings on admission to Discovery Cove"

There are the facts.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Good topic SH
IMO theres just too many people in Florida these days, too much traffic, too many housing developments, not enough quality jobs,too many Walmarts.etc
I guess its water under the bridge now but maybe if people would play up more of Floridas negatives people would be less inclined to move there, but when people up north hear nothing but praise for Florida how much fun people are having in Florida,the going to the beaches everyday, the warm and sunny all the time factor,the no snow or cold, the best move we ever made etc its only natural that many are going to get the notion/idea of moving to Florida and getting in on some of that sun and fun lifestyle,especially when they walk out the door in the morning to shovel out the car out of the overnight snowfall. So down they come in large numbers to add to an already bursting at the seams situation.
IMO Todays Florida is nothing like it was back in the 60's and early 70\s, it seems to have lost a certain ambiance that was once unique to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida