Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:16 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
I'm looking to go to a university in Florida in 2014. My major is computer science. I've narrowed it down to USF, UCF, and FIU. I would say UF but it got rid of computer science. Anyone know why? I don't want to go to FSU in Tallahassee it's to country/redneck for me. Out of the other ones left which would you say has the best:

Student life
Academic prestige
Weather
Diversity
Dorms
Internship Opportunities

I plan on visiting all of them, but so input would be nice. Thanks in advance.
Do yourself a favor...go to Georgia Tech, it's ranked in the top 10 for Computer Science and is leaps and bounds ahead of any school in Florida for this field.

Personally from my professional experience (which involves hiring Florida educated grads or interns), I have found many to be lacking core competence and skills that are commonplace with graduates from far superior schools out of the state. As a Manager, I am beyond frustrated with the local talent pool I have to work with and based on the lower salaries here, it's hard to lure many good candidates from places like Boston, Philly/Wilmington, Manhattan and etc.

Computer | Rankings | US News

If you do plan on going to school in Florida, be forewarned...the job market here for most professions is sub-par along with the salaries, odds might end up meaning you need to leave and and go elsewhere for a job or one that pay's well. High Tech is lacking here...

Also most schools in Florida do not have much national level recognition outside of the State, local Florida Atlantic University or FAU has a joke applied to the acronym, I heard it from my interns and it goes back quite far "FAU = Find Another University"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
THX - is there a reason that the talent needs to be local? My son has to go into the office sometimes, but never because it's necessary. It's only just because "you need to go to the office?" He spends commuting time, then all sorts of disruptions and he says he's a lot less productive than if he'd stayed home and coded the whole time. Luckily, they're fairly accommodating - usually. The same for the weekly meetings. He doesn't understand why sometimes they want him there in person. He works for a tech company - doing tech work, yet they sometimes do things the old-fashioned way, like IRL meetings. Why isn't telecommuting more prevalent and is it just a FL being backwards thing? Seems like it would be a solution to the lack of talent in the local area problem.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 PM

204 posts, read 309,769 times
I can't afford the OOS tuition at Georgia State. Your right though Florida economy is geared toward service not professionals. For that reason, I don't plan on staying Florida for long after I graduate. I would like to move to a big city like NYC, Washington DC, San Francisco, Or LA. I did hear that Tampa does a have a small tech market and after doing a quick search on Monster it brought up a more jobs than Orlando.

Still, got to pick a Florida college.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 PM

143 posts, read 357,389 times
Quote:
Yes, I understand prestige isn't everything.

I need to graduate in four years. That seems unlikely at UCF according to Bayou's post.

Kevin, that's even worst because I'm no where near rich.

Lol, You've never been to OLE Miss or UBama...

Ok, in all seriousness I'm trying to avoid the southern vibe. I want to go to a college where students of every different race interact and hangout together. I don't know if FSU has this vibe. However, Kevin you are very informative and it seems like you went. If you did, can you tell me about your experience?

FPU is a contender since it specializes and STEM and free tuition would be hard to pass up. UF has the connections, but it doesn't seem like the CS department is respected and it's future is shaky. UCF's graduation rate is scaring me as much as U Miami tuition did .
Read my other post about Black Student Union and Hispanic-Latino Student Union being two of the biggest student run organizations at FSU. Honestly, go take a tour of FSU. It's not what you think it is, it's certainly not an "Ole Miss" kind of school. And it's not full of rich kids - FSU has what's called a CARE program for those who come from backgrounds with less financial support. Two of my best friends graduated from FSU and they're both minorities and love the school.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:08 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou91 View Post
Lmao and @ the bolded part above. I graduated from a "prestigious" university 6 months ago and no one gives a flying fuhhhhhhh. I still don't have a job. There are many factors that go into whether or not someone gets a job that they apply for, and prestige doesn't matter unless it's an Ivy League.

UCF's grad rate is most likely because of their overcrowded class set up. UCF is now one of the biggest universities in the US and it has, like, what? 10 campuses in Orlando alone? I know a handful of people who went there for a year and then left for FSU or USF because they couldn't stand it anymore. I know it takes a lot of people an extra semester or two to graduate because it's so crowded that it's hard to get the specific upper level classes that you need in order to graduate.
I think it's the basic core classes required of every student there that are in short supply at UCF.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:35 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
I can't afford the OOS tuition at Georgia State. Your right though Florida economy is geared toward service not professionals. For that reason, I don't plan on staying Florida for long after I graduate. I would like to move to a big city like NYC, Washington DC, San Francisco, Or LA. I did hear that Tampa does a have a small tech market and after doing a quick search on Monster it brought up a more jobs than Orlando.

Still, got to pick a Florida college.
Does FSU have a major you want to do? You need to put FSU back on your list if you want to leave Florida. FSU is the only school on your list which is known decently well outside the state. It's also the best school on your list and would be my #1 choice out of those schools. It's a large university the students are from all over the state, and country.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:13 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
My son just told me that his company is looking for C#.net programmers - whatever that means. If anyone knows anyone looking for this type of job, message me and I'll give you contact info. The company is located in Miami by the Tamiami airport. He said he's been offered 3 or 4 jobs in the last couple of months in the Broward area too. It's amazing that these jobs aren't getting filled.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:23 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
UCF might as well be Mickey Mouse College--- that place is a freakin zoo. The class sizes are easily 200+... the retention rate is dismal. It's like a cray. and the campus itself is certainly nothing to write home about. It's bland, and ugly.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:34 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,201,891 times
You may also consider New College in Sarasota.

Computational Science - New College of Florida

Old 10-26-2013, 10:50 PM

204 posts, read 309,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
My son just told me that his company is looking for C#.net programmers - whatever that means. If anyone knows anyone looking for this type of job, message me and I'll give you contact info. The company is located in Miami by the Tamiami airport. He said he's been offered 3 or 4 jobs in the last couple of months in the Broward area too. It's amazing that these jobs aren't getting filled.
I actually know a guy who was looking in Miami, but he just got snatched up by a firm in Atlanta. I hope that demand stays by time I graduate.

New College of Florida seems kind of small and computational science is just a concentration not a major.

So my official travel list is :

1)FSU
2)FPU
3)???
4)???

Fill 3 in 4 in for me guys and I'll be done with this thread. Thanks for all the great info already. You guys don't even know how helpful you have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida