Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,710 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to FL with my gf (we're 30 and 26). We're in a unique position that we can live basically anywhere because I work from home and she teaches (or tutor's/nanny's if there are no teaching jobs). So with that said, if you could pick any place in FL to live, where would you recommend for us?

Wants:
- Big enough for a fun night life, but not so big that traffic/crime is a big issue
- There should be a good number of people around our age - we need to make friends!
- We want to be in an area that we'd feel safe walking around at night
- Gotta have the beach! Ideally it would be on or near the beach

Price isn't too much of a concern...we will be saving a lot on taxes by moving to FL so we can spend a good amount on a place and still come out ahead (probably looking at apartment complexes for now).

Note: We currently live in Raleigh, NC and love it. We like that it's a young, safe city and isn't too big but still big enough to have a fun night life, so we're looking for something similar to that...but with better weather and a beach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:01 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Jacksonville or Miami if beach is absolutely necessary. Melbourne is a bit smaller than those two but still offers some of those things near the water and has a decent young prof population thanks to all of the defense/aerospace businesses in the area. Sarasota is a nice area. If you are planning on kids, I would suggest Melbourne/Brevard county or Sarasota/Manatee county for the best schools. Some people would also throw Tampa into the mix, which technically isn't on the beach but clearwater is right next door. Not sure how the young prof population is there though.

Miami has the drawbacks of pretty much having to speak Spanish in many parts to get by, as well as the more horrendous south FL traffic.

If you don't mind being 50 mins away from Cocoa Beach, downtown Orlando is pretty good for young professionals as well.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myersgg View Post
Wants:
- Big enough for a fun night life, but not so big that traffic/crime is a big issue
- There should be a good number of people around our age - we need to make friends!
- We want to be in an area that we'd feel safe walking around at night
- Gotta have the beach! Ideally it would be on or near the beach

Price isn't too much of a concern...we will be saving a lot on taxes by moving to FL so we can spend a good amount on a place and still come out ahead (probably looking at apartment complexes for now).

Note: We currently live in Raleigh, NC and love it. We like that it's a young, safe city and isn't too big but still big enough to have a fun night life, so we're looking for something similar to that...but with better weather and a beach!
Based on your criteria and last paragraph especially I would point you toward Jacksonville also. Check out the extreme south end around Deerwood or Bartram Park. They're near Jacksonville's many Southside amenities and 15-20 minutes from the beautiful beach in Ponte Vedra Beach.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:11 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Tallahassee

Old 11-09-2013, 09:01 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,653,984 times
If you are young, Miami Beach, easy. There is traffic, and crime but welcome to a major metro. If you have kids, then Forward county has very good schools in places like Weston.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Jacksonville or Miami if beach is absolutely necessary. Melbourne is a bit smaller than those two but still offers some of those things near the water and has a decent young prof population thanks to all of the defense/aerospace businesses in the area. Sarasota is a nice area. If you are planning on kids, I would suggest Melbourne/Brevard county or Sarasota/Manatee county for the best schools. Some people would also throw Tampa into the mix, which technically isn't on the beach but clearwater is right next door. Not sure how the young prof population is there though.

Miami has the drawbacks of pretty much having to speak Spanish in many parts to get by, as well as the more horrendous south FL traffic.

If you don't mind being 50 mins away from Cocoa Beach, downtown Orlando is pretty good for young professionals as well.
Why do you keep pushing this falsehood? I happen to know a lot of "non-Hispanics" who function just fine in Miami without knowing Spanish.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:42 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Why do you keep pushing this falsehood? I happen to know a lot of "non-Hispanics" who function just fine in Miami without knowing Spanish.
And I know plenty who do deal with it and find it obnoxious, especially in the healthcare setting. I guess if you stick to certain areas, maybe not, but ask any doctor that works at Jackson memorial....

Old 11-10-2013, 07:01 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
I'd say North FL in St Johns County... close enough to Jax. I DO NOT recommend Miami- especially coming from Raleigh. Too much of a drastic change in every way. I am from South FL originally and I wouldn't advise anyone to move to Miami. Sorry Miami folks, it's just how I feel. Look into Ponte Vedra area of North St Johns Co. if you can afford.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:55 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Tallahassee

yeah right........

night life = college bars
jobs = 2 major Universities pumping out thousands of grads every semester
beaches = 100 miles from either coast!

Old 11-10-2013, 08:58 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

Raleigh was not what they thought was ideal yet you mention the even smaller Melbourne, then follow it up with Sarasota? They aren't 55 and looking for retirement communities!

You are completely off base with the Miami = Spanish only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida