Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 04:24 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I am sure that nobody moves to S. Jersey to advance their careers either.

I know Montclair. Close friend lives there.

I would like to see a link that proves it please.....

Because internet links are always right and never contain any ambiguity.

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Oh BTW,as to retirees......

Persons 65 years and over, percent, 2012 18.2%

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Data still shows the difference in COL between Cherry Hill, NJ and Tampa FL
I don't think anyone disputes that (at least I am not). But I see the point D-R-B makes in regards to certain occupations/careers the disparity in income is greater than the benefit of the lower COL.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:25 PM

Link for which data???

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I would like to see a link that proves it please.....

Because internet links are always right and never contain any ambiguity.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:27 PM

I am showing that when you take in to account the COL differences, the higher wages are wiped out due to the higher COL. The occupation would make no difference providing that occupation exists in both places being compared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I don't think anyone disputes that (at least I am not). But I see the point D-R-B makes in regards to certain occupations/careers the disparity in income is greater than the benefit of the lower COL.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:32 PM

The links were added so everyone could see that I wasn't pulling this information out of the bathtub.

Nobody is saying that your friends and family are giving wrong information. I know that people make more money up north. There is a reason for that. The reason is the difference in the cost of living. If you can live in place A on 60k and place B has a 30 percent lower COL, you can take a 30 percent pay cut and still be in the same boat as you are in place A

Stop looking at ONLY the wages. Take in to account the other costs which are substantially lower here and thats just the fact of the matter, in black and white.

Quote:
While I appreciate your well thought out response that strengthens my point.......

I have already been put in my place by a barrage of internet links.....

And I am upset and humbled as to why my friends and family have chosen to purposely give me false information.

I will now have to re-examine my position on wages in Florida......I obviously am very mistaken.

I'm going to just keep repeating this in my head until I smarten up......

"Florida has great wages, Florida has great wages, Florida has great wages"

Old 12-15-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Exactly.....

I am not disputing that either.....

But the people I know and talk to still come out ahead (by a lot in some cases) even with the increased cost of living compared to here.

They may pay more taxes in New Jersey......

But they don't pay the sunshine tax.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I am showing that when you take in to account the COL differences, the higher wages are wiped out due to the higher COL. The occupation would make no difference providing that occupation exists in both places being compared.

Once again......

Your thinking is just way too "black and white"

Old 12-15-2013, 04:45 PM

Without getting into the specifics of my cousin's situation......

He and his wife both work (2 incomes).....

Both of them make substantially more in New Jersey than they would here......

The difference in cost of living probably eats up the difference from 1 of those salaries......

And the other salary difference is where they wind up better off.......

Again, a very simple way to try to explain it.....

There are other factors as well but perhaps this will help.......

Or not.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Once again......

Your thinking is just way too "black and white"
Of course. There is nothing gray scale here. Its simple mathematics based on known values.

We started with a salary, in my examples $60k and the calculators figure the difference based on the known figures (COL).

Not only are they paying more in taxes there compared to here, they are paying more for food, utilities, health care.

I figured all this out 27 years ago using the numbers of those days without a computer. Just a calculator. I realized that by working in NYC and living in NYC I was getting no value in exchange. That's why I came here. I knew I'd get more value for my income even though my income would be considerably smaller. I was perfectly correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida