Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,054 times

Advertisements

i am 16years old at the moment however when i turn 18 i would really like to go to university in america...think you call it college in america?

i have asked my tutors about it and they have advised me to go when im 18 but im not quite sure how i would go about it.

i would ask my mum and dad but they'd try to talk me out of it, once i know some more about it, i will talk to them about it.

if anybody could help me that would be more than appreciated!

thankss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 10:27 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.rachael View Post
i am 16years old at the moment however when i turn 18 i would really like to go to university in america...think you call it college in america?

i have asked my tutors about it and they have advised me to go when im 18 but im not quite sure how i would go about it.

i would ask my mum and dad but they'd try to talk me out of it, once i know some more about it, i will talk to them about it.

thankss
What does college cost over there?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:45 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,250,376 times
I always heard the English didn't like the United States... I guess that isn't true for all!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.rachael View Post

thankss

A good place to start would be to contact the international students' offices at some of the universities in Florida. Florida State University, University of Miami, University of South Florida, University of Miami should all have admissions offices contact info that can direct you to where you need to go.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:46 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
I wouldn't recommend Florida, go to another state, you'll thank me later!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:58 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
A good place to start would be to contact the international students' offices at some of the universities in Florida. Florida State University, University of Miami, University of South Florida, University of Miami should all have admissions offices contact info that can direct you to where you need to go.
This, so far, is the only serious response.

In the US, basically college means a state-sponsored or private institution of higher learning with only one faculty or school of study, or it may refer to county-sponsored schools (community colleges) that offer two-year degrees (associates) instead of the traditional four-year degree (bachelors). University usually refers to a state-sponsored or private institution of higher learning that offers a wide variety of programs of study under several faculties or schools, leading to bachelors degrees or higher. But these definitions are not always rigid, some institutions call themselves college or university based on whatever criteria, but these general guidelines are useful.

In any case, eventually you would have to apply for a student's visa, I believe B-1, but not sure, check out the USCIS website for details.

Basically you have to be accepted by a university or college first before you apply for a visa.

At most colleges/universities, in addition to other admissions requirements, you must present Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores. Look it up for more details.

The admissions requirements at county-sponsored community colleges and some state colleges and universities are, at least in theory, less stringent than at private universities.

In practice, in addition to minimum admission requirements, you usually have to prove that you have money.

Private universities are very expensive, so are some state universities. State universities and community colleges (county-level) charge full tuition if you are an out-of-state student, then, once you establish state residency, usually after one year, you may apply for in-state tuition (though I'm not sure if that applies to foreigners).

So whether you apply to a private university or a state university or community college will, in part, depend on your finances. One factor in your favor, obviously, is the GBP/USD exchange rate. Hopefully in two years it will still be in your favor, but exchange rates do change.

I would not worry too much during the first two years of the higher learning experience about where and what. If you think you will have a good time in Florida, if you can afford it, and if you can keep your head about you, so to speak, in preparation for the ensuing years, then go for it!

Anyway, good luck!

Last edited by bale002; 11-29-2007 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-29-2007, 02:04 PM

250 posts, read 1,470,068 times
I think the Student Visa is a F1 (not 100% positive) but have heard someone else on this - you would need to check it out as previous poster suggested.

It isnt easy getting into the USA from the UK (take it from someone who knows lol) but wish you luck....

Old 04-17-2009, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
I was wondering the same thing. Next year I will be going to study Psychology at (english) university. I have heard that it is possible to study one of the years abroad in America and was wondering if anyone has ever done this and how they went about doing it? Living in America in the future is something I am really interested in doing and i figured that trying out a year in education may be a good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida