Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesun View Post
I was reading a lot of comments and discussions about everything in Florida.
90% is negativity: insurance rates, crimes here and crime there, hurricanes, traffic,...
I'm really really very confused now. Firsat I was thinking to move to Broward county. Known fact it has a large Jewish population, so I wanted to be there.
Then somebody told me to look into ft.Myers, Tampa bay area, because I can get a house there for half price than in Broward. Researched - not exactly true. But the prices there are a bit lower. I liked St.Pete area, Clearwater, Largo, Dunedin. Jewish population is much smaller there. Then another friend turned me around back to Broward-Palm Beach. Then in between my searches for houses I realized crazy facts about property insurance. Although I'm planning for a townhome condo, I'm really getting upset with these negative facts.
I even researched Jacksonville area.
So, I'm loaded now with a lot of negative facts and don't know what to do.

Is anybody here is HAPPY in Florida ?
Could anybody give me an advise or opinion about insurance rates for a townhome condo priced at $150,000-$170,000 ? I know it will be included in the maintenance fee.
I'm in Ontario(just north of Buffalo,NY), so i have no idea about car insurance rates(30 years driving) for a minivan ?

and the last question Jewish related: anybody lives in Tampa-Bay area, Clearwater...etc. ? any advise please ?

Thanks a lot!
Don't move to BROWARD. BIGGEST CESSPOOL ON EARTH!

Actually I am probably the happiest Broward resident on this board, seemingly the only one (aside from a few others) that doesn't bash it on end. I'm not 100 percent satisfied, but about 70 percent. I would, however, suggest that you rent in todays market. Broward and Palm Beach County are going to be undergoing a major price correction to get back in line with current median incomes. There is a predicted 11% decrease in prices.

About the Jewish population, it's still ticking along in Broward, although in Palm Beach County, there are more Jewish people and the observant community there is thriving and growing. I would say the only cities that DON'T have a significant Jewish population in Broward are...Miramar, and maybe Davie (which still has a large Jewish population compared to average). That's all I can think of. Here in Weston we have two conservative synagogues and a very large Jewish community. Emerald Hills in Hollywood probably has the largest Jewish population in the area. It could be compared to the five towns in Long Island it's so large. Just about every branch of Juidasm, including some Hasidic Jews are in that part of Hollywood. But, as I said, the Jewish population is very large county wide. The strongest Jewish communities are in

Parkland (forget about that price though)
Coral Springs
Cooper City (the high school even has a Jewish Student Union)
Weston
Pockets of Hollywood
Plantation
Tamarac
Sunrise
Pembroke Pines

But they are present in just about every community. Miramar is really the only area I can think of without a significant Jewish presence.

However, I wouldn't ask for only "positive" facts. People are complaining for a reason- the region is overpriced, hard on a middle class family, and crowded. There are other negative factors to living here depending on what the individual is looking for. The crime factor is incredibly exaggerated, but yes, there are plenty of high crime areas. It's not all palm trees and sunshine, but you can live a very nice life here if you pick the right neighborhood, have a good job, and (preferably) don't have any children. My neighborhood grocery store is really friendly, everyone knows each other. My neighborhood is safe enough to leave my doors unlocked. My neighbors grilled for us when I moved in. The highway traffic isn't bad by major city standards, and the local traffic is next-to-none in a lot of areas. For me, the positives have been numerous down here, even to my career. It's not quite as bad as some people here make it out to be, there is plenty to enjoy.

And to whoever negative repped me, I WAS JOKING, LOL! I was updating my post.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-29-2007 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 03:35 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
LewLew

Ok, gotcha

I think a place is more about quality of life than anything. That is not just expenses but the things a place offers that make you happy. Everyone has a list of criteria of what makes them happy. If a place meets that criteria and the things that are negative are small enough to not offset the positives then I say have at it.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:37 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
Let's set aside the negativity you have experienced on this forum.

I live in southwest Broward county in an area called Weston. We have lived here for many years and have been spared some of the enormous increase people have experienced in their property taxes - homeowners not so.

We bought our home in 1994 and we just paid our property tax which was approx. $3700. If you were to buy this house today at lets say $500,000 (two years ago a realtor friend told us it would sell for $750,000) you would pay $8,627 in property tax. Visit Broward County Property Appraiser's Network

Our homeowners insurance was close to $9,000 and the previous year it was $3200. We just had our home inspected. We were told the rate would come down quite a bit because we have a hip roof as opposed to a gable. We have not put shutters on our home as we are planning to replace the windows with hurricane impact.

Yes, the cost of living here has gone up quite a bit and may be particularly prohibitive for newcomers. If you happen to live in a condo community you do have some benefits in the insurance department.

We happen to love our home and the area. Weston also has a large Jewish population which you may find very desireable. The area is safe and ideally located to the airport, schools, shopping, medical care and so much more. Take a look at Weston.

Good luck in your search. Your best bet would be to come down and rent.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:54 AM

10 posts, read 30,448 times
fort lauderdale and jhlcomp, you're both in Weston. Do you think I'll be able to find a townhouse-condo in my price range there?
I was doing a search and found quite a few in different places, some are very very nice, built in late 70s and even 90s. Didn't know about Weston, though.
jhlcomp, under your name you say it's just west of downtown Ft.Lauderdale ?
It's important, because we have two grown children living with us, and they would need to find a job and some night life. Son works for a Tyco company here. I think it's in Boca. How far is Boca from Weston ?
Thanks!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:09 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
What is your price range? I didn't happen to see it in your post(s)?

Yes, Weston is west of downtown Ft. Lauderdale. Yes, we have a night life here which your adult children would enjoy.

I can not emphasis enough the convenience of Weston. We sit just between Boca and Miami. See: Google Maps and type in Weston, FL.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesun View Post
fort lauderdale and jhlcomp, you're both in Weston. Do you think I'll be able to find a townhouse-condo in my price range there?
I was doing a search and found quite a few in different places, some are very very nice, built in late 70s and even 90s. Didn't know about Weston, though.
jhlcomp, under your name you say it's just west of downtown Ft.Lauderdale ?
It's important, because we have two grown children living with us, and they would need to find a job and some night life. Son works for a Tyco company here. I think it's in Boca. How far is Boca from Weston ?
Thanks!
Around 150-170? In the Bonaventure area of Weston, you just may find something small but decent . A one bedroom though...

But, if you considering renting (you should), you can wait for the market to correct itself and buy later. We are actually about 20 minutes directly west of Fort Lauderdale (and points east where a lot of the nightlife is). Hollywood also has a thriving night scene, and even Weston itself has a little bit going on in the "Town Center" area. It's a very upscale area. You won't have any traffic heading there. It's actually similarly priced to Boca: especially expensive. IMO it's less congested and safer than Boca though, but also much less to do in the city limits and more of a cookie-cutter kind of feel.

On I-595 (which takes you east), the traffic can be pretty iffy during the peak hours getting there pushing it closer to 30-40 minutes, and the city is about a half hour (you won't have any traffic) to Tyco (it's a big building by the town center mall).

Old 11-30-2007, 01:39 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
lovesun - The news sad last night that Florida residents pay the highest homeowners insurance in the country. And I can almost 100% say, that South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade) pay the highest in the state.

And we in South Florida have probably the highest car insurance rates in the state. When I moved to North Florida for college (from south florida), I took my 4 year old car and my insurance dropped in half. When I graduated and moved back to South Florida (transfered back my insurance to South Florida), the same car then 8 years old, doubled in insurance costs compared to North Florida.

As far as the jewish population, South Florida has probably the highest in the state.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,851 times
Cool Dear Lovesun

I moved back to the Washington Metropolitan area about a month ago, after living in Charlotte County for eight years. I did NOT want to leave, but the housing market was bad and, as Realtors, we could no longer make a living. I loved the warm weather, and sunshine, tropical trees and flowers, and the Florida lifestyle and want to move back someday.

I read what you said about insurance being included in your condominium fee and thought that I should point out that the insurance that is included in your condo fee only covers the community and the building. It does not cover your personal property or the walls and flooring in your condo. If a storm hits and your condo is destroyed, and you have no personal insurance on your belongings, you are "down the creek without a paddle." Insuring your condo is relatively inexpensive and certainly worth it, in the event of a weather event of some sort.

I have no idea what the Jewish population is, in Charlotte County. You are welcome to go to my website and look for the links on the left. There's a lot of area information. You can also go to the top of the page and search real estate, too. MODERATOR deleted . I hope that you love Florida, wherever you decide to move. I encourage you to get a job before moving to Florida.

God bless,
Anne

Last edited by sunrico90; 12-01-2007 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Good info, Realtor advertising

Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 PM

33 posts, read 95,865 times
Smile Florida was a great move for us

Don't get me wrong...I have seen people come and go.

Right now and for the next 12 months is the time to buy real estate in SW Florida. House prices are down 20-50%. If your are patient and shop around you can get a great deal!

We are right now back at 2003/2004 prices. The peak being around 2006. You can bet your bottom dollar the market will go up again, but maybe not as high as it was in 2006 right away. We were in a bubble.

When I moved down here I planned on my wife and myself making just
$10 hr. Believe it or not, the jobs back in 2001 did not pay anything. Now I am doing great and we are getting by fine.

The first 2 years are the roughest if you move down. In fact the people I spoke of that moved back were not down here for more than a year.

We have (I am guessing here) about a 25% of people moving in and out. If 10 people move down 3 move out before their 2years. Some are home sick and some just can not get over get paid so little or just can not make ends meet. Many people don't plan to fail.....they fail to plan.

There is a saying down here......"You are paid in sunshine".

Well sunshine does not pay the bills but if you last, and pervail though the
transition period....you will love the golf...the sunshine...the sand.....the boating....fishing....tennis....the pool....waking up in the moring and walking outside to sit by the pool with your cup of coffee and watch the sun come up IN JUST YOUR SHORTS. That is what I love the best about SW Florida.

Just the thought of taking a shower and walking outside up in Phila in the winter time just makes me shudder.

Now who is the weakest...the person that comes to Florida and just can't make it....or the Floridian that does not like to take a shower up North because it is too cold.

I guess we all are meant to be where we want to be. If you like the North go north and if you like SW Florida than this is where you should be.

Anyway, if you make the move, make a commitment to yourself to last at least 2 years and make sure.....you got some money so you do not have to stress. What is the point coming to Paradise if you have to stress.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 PM

548 posts, read 541,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchsnook View Post
Don't get me wrong...I have seen people come and go.

Right now and for the next 12 months is the time to buy real estate in SW Florida. House prices are down 20-50%. If your are patient and shop around you can get a great deal!

We are right now back at 2003/2004 prices. The peak being around 2006. You can bet your bottom dollar the market will go up again, but maybe not as high as it was in 2006 right away. We were in a bubble.

When I moved down here I planned on my wife and myself making just
$10 hr. Believe it or not, the jobs back in 2001 did not pay anything. Now I am doing great and we are getting by fine.

The first 2 years are the roughest if you move down. In fact the people I spoke of that moved back were not down here for more than a year.

We have (I am guessing here) about a 25% of people moving in and out. If 10 people move down 3 move out before their 2years. Some are home sick and some just can not get over get paid so little or just can not make ends meet. Many people don't plan to fail.....they fail to plan.

There is a saying down here......"You are paid in sunshine".

Well sunshine does not pay the bills but if you last, and pervail though the
transition period....you will love the golf...the sunshine...the sand.....the boating....fishing....tennis....the pool....waking up in the moring and walking outside to sit by the pool with your cup of coffee and watch the sun come up IN JUST YOUR SHORTS. That is what I love the best about SW Florida.

Just the thought of taking a shower and walking outside up in Phila in the winter time just makes me shudder.

Now who is the weakest...the person that comes to Florida and just can't make it....or the Floridian that does not like to take a shower up North because it is too cold.

I guess we all are meant to be where we want to be. If you like the North go north and if you like SW Florida than this is where you should be.

Anyway, if you make the move, make a commitment to yourself to last at least 2 years and make sure.....you got some money so you do not have to stress. What is the point coming to Paradise if you have to stress.
Nice post. I agree with all but the housing prices in SW FL part. I think they have a long, long way to fall. And I doubt they will rise again for decades. This was a historic bubble based on no fundamentals. The correction the other way will be far and last a long time.

12 months from now prices will still be falling, 24 months same thing. The negatives such as foreclosures, credit tightening, high utility and gas prices, high property taxes and insurance, tightening job market, and ARM resets are only in their beginning stages and will build over the next 2 years. After that, prices will stay flat for many years.

I am a Florida lover, but the residential real estate market has just begun a trip that will shock and amaze us all by the time it is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida