Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: hurricane safety, transplants, taxes, insurance, job market.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,761 times

Advertisements

I was inspired to create this new thread while reading under another thread concerning where to live over on the east coast of FL. While the comments and advice didn't surprise me, a city was mentioned that I hadn't thought much about - not since August of 2004, anyways!

It was a scary, scary time over here when Hurricane Charley blew through. We lost our power in the early evening hours, and all any of us could hear in the distance that evening was DEAD SILENCE. No phones, sporadic cell phone ability, no electricity, no A/C, no lights, no television, no running water, no nothing. Just candlelight. . . and the wondering of how long it would be before people would come to help us all. The next morning, we cleared the driveway and drove out of our place (after showering in the rain with our bathing suits on - Thank God for rain that day), and the destruction we saw - and still the quiet of it all - was extremely unsettling. It looked like a gigantic hand had come through Fort Myers and picked things up, crumbled them up as you would a piece of paper, and just thrown them back down. And there was no way to know when everything would be "normal" again (When would we have power? When could we return to work? When could we keep food at home in our fridges? When could we have running water again? When could we turn on the television again? When could we have some everyday "noise" surrounding us once more? Should we leave for a few days or stay? How much longer like this?)

The very first bit of comfort that I received that day was when I saw what appeared to be a parade of sorts exiting the highway to Fort Myers. Those cars were marked "Cooper City". I want to thank everyone in Cooper City that took the time away from their jobs or took time away from their families on their days off to be here the day after Charley. You heard what had happened to us, and you came over to help us. That is all that I know about Cooper City, and that is the only thing that I will ever remember. It puts a lump in my throat to this day. I don't know how many people thanked you that day, but I want to be one of them. Thank you.

I also want to add two more thank-you's: To ASPLUNDH Tree Service - you worked day and night; your trucks were everywhere we drove; and you were tireless. You were instrumental in our power being restored as so many trees had taken out power lines. Thank you.

To FPL - When I called to inquire about how much longer we would be without power, a very kind customer service rep out of Miami spoke with me as he relayed his personal experience with a hurricane and the suffering that came with it in the days after. His sympathy and patience was much appreciated that day. Also, your trucks were everywhere, and once you were out to a neighborhood, it didn't take you long to get us up and running. Thank you.

A lot of us are unhappy about something or other in FL, be it taxes, insurance, cost of homes, job market/salary, the weather, social climate, etc., but we are all fortunate that we have what we do have, and we need to be thankful. Does anyone else want to join me in saying "thanks" to someone you've never met and didn't have a chance to personally thank? It does not have to be hurricane-related. It can be anything at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 07:49 PM

121 posts, read 504,365 times
I will be more than happy to thanks any northern transplants that go back home. Does that count?

Old 03-12-2007, 08:01 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
I was inspired to create this new thread while reading under another thread concerning where to live over on the east coast of FL. While the comments and advice didn't surprise me, a city was mentioned that I hadn't thought much about - not since August of 2004, anyways!

It was a scary, scary time over here when Hurricane Charley blew through. We lost our power in the early evening hours, and all any of us could hear in the distance that evening was DEAD SILENCE. No phones, sporadic cell phone ability, no electricity, no A/C, no lights, no television, no running water, no nothing. Just candlelight. . . and the wondering of how long it would be before people would come to help us all. The next morning, we cleared the driveway and drove out of our place (after showering in the rain with our bathing suits on - Thank God for rain that day), and the destruction we saw - and still the quiet of it all - was extremely unsettling. It looked like a gigantic hand had come through Fort Myers and picked things up, crumbled them up as you would a piece of paper, and just thrown them back down. And there was no way to know when everything would be "normal" again (When would we have power? When could we return to work? When could we keep food at home in our fridges? When could we have running water again? When could we turn on the television again? When could we have some everyday "noise" surrounding us once more? Should we leave for a few days or stay? How much longer like this?)

The very first bit of comfort that I received that day was when I saw what appeared to be a parade of sorts exiting the highway to Fort Myers. Those cars were marked "Cooper City". I want to thank everyone in Cooper City that took the time away from their jobs or took time away from their families on their days off to be here the day after Charley. You heard what had happened to us, and you came over to help us. That is all that I know about Cooper City, and that is the only thing that I will ever remember. It puts a lump in my throat to this day. I don't know how many people thanked you that day, but I want to be one of them. Thank you.

I also want to add two more thank-you's: To ASPLUNDH Tree Service - you worked day and night; your trucks were everywhere we drove; and you were tireless. You were instrumental in our power being restored as so many trees had taken out power lines. Thank you.

To FPL - When I called to inquire about how much longer we would be without power, a very kind customer service rep out of Miami spoke with me as he relayed his personal experience with a hurricane and the suffering that came with it in the days after. His sympathy and patience was much appreciated that day. Also, your trucks were everywhere, and once you were out to a neighborhood, it didn't take you long to get us up and running. Thank you.

A lot of us are unhappy about something or other in FL, be it taxes, insurance, cost of homes, job market/salary, the weather, social climate, etc., but we are all fortunate that we have what we do have, and we need to be thankful. Does anyone else want to join me in saying "thanks" to someone you've never met and didn't have a chance to personally thank? It does not have to be hurricane-related. It can be anything at all.

Seeing the vehicles "staging" in the Jacksonville area ready to respond was awsome. I saw the same thing for Katrina- dozens and dozens of carvans headed that way. When a hurricane is bearing down on an area, I'm sure the people of that area feel very small and alone during the storm, but all around the surrounding areas, trucks were coming in- parking lots were filled with them, just waiting to go in after the storm to help. And those of us not badly affected were lined up in the grocery stores, carts filled with water, diapers, all kinds of items that folks might need.

This is a real strength of Florida (and other states,too)- you must have felt that the calvary was coming!

I hope that folks from Asplundh, FPL & Cooper City read your thread- while they don't do it for the thanks, I know it will mean a great deal to them.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:07 PM

Personally we thought it was great. We stayed home and the roads were like they were years ago. We had them all to ourselves and it was wonderful. Run from the storm be afraid be very afraid.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 PM

398 posts, read 1,410,025 times
Living in Hell (Miami) and seeing those carvans coming to town gave me a sensation of mixed emotions...feelings like here come the good ones, or please give me a part time and take me out of here, or just cry because you see what you feel is your people and you live every day frustrated without friends. Specially when the attitude of these animal aliens here was like "what are those rednecks doing here"

Old 03-12-2007, 11:28 PM

Sorry Juan but rednecks stay home in hurricanes and no self respecting redneck would be caught dead in Miami. We have stuff like generators and stull like that there.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:34 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,269,134 times
Thanks, FedUp. A very nice story.

I've been fortunate in my life that nothing catastrophic has come my way. At least no natural disasters other than the NE ice storm of '99, and we were very lucky with that one.

I have two people in my life who were really there for me when I went thru my divorce. The first is my dearest friend (the one who drew me to N. Ft. Myers). I called her out of the blue, asking for a place to stay for a couple of weeks to get my head together to see whether my marriage was worth save. Without hesitation, she opened her home to me. That two weeks stretched into a year, but she never once asked me to leave or find another place. We had a great year together and have been like sisters ever since.

The second was a co-worker who went out of her way to make sure that I didn't sit home, feeling sorry for myself. My housemate traveled every weekend, and worked a couple of nights each week, so I was home alone quite a bit. My friend would call up and say "I'm going here, and I'll be there to pick you up in half an hour." If I tried to back out, she wouldn't let me. I'll never forget her thoughtfulness during that awful time.

Thanks for letting me remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida