Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 03:07 PM

40 posts, read 47,428 times

Advertisements

During the summer, I was driving along 95. I was going 75 and everyone else was driving under the speed limit on the left lane. Why do Florida residents drive so slow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 03:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
Old people, tourist who are lost or have a ton of kids in the van, immigrants some illegal who don't want to be stopped and an overall lack of driving training in the State. Less than other states which have almost nothing too. The left lane to pass right to cruise is not a very well known subject in Florida especially South Florida and Orlando.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:44 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsGuy View Post
During the summer, I was driving along 95. I was going 75 and everyone else was driving under the speed limit on the left lane. Why do Florida residents drive so slow?

Florida's stretch of I-95 is deadliest U.S. road, federal figures indicate.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...t-palm-/ncWwt/

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ck-fiery-crash

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/03/05...t-closes-i-95/

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-...,1309548.story

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ar...NEWS/130429783

For starters, you were going OVER the legal speed limit.

Classic.

But yes, we're well aware of how CRUCIAL it is for you guys to go the maximum possible speed your vehicle will go because your schedule is just soooooooooooooo pressing and super duper important.

Which includes speeding in and out of traffic, tailgating, passing on the right and freaking out even when we have a LEFT LANE EXIT off I95 coming up.

It's particularly fun when certain impatient people decide to pass on the right AND the left simultaneously in bumper to bumper traffic, therein almost crashing into each other right in front of the innocent person in the center lane being sandwiched in by both morons passing the same car at the same time at TOP SPEED.

So you may wanna remember that when you get my brake job.

OTOH hand, you'd probably like it here. The concept of even a CAR LENGTH distance is completely ignored.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-09-2014 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 04:00 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,689,444 times
Troll is trolling.

we all know that ppl in FL speed like cray on 95.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,886 times
Guess you have never been on I-4. If you drive slow on that highway you will be shoved to the side of the road.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:52 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
That certainly hasn't been my experience on either I95 or I75! Even though I tend to drive a little over the speed limit to keep pace with traffic, it seems like anything under about 85 MPH is likely to get one run over.

Also, forget about trying to leave a few car lengths between your bumper and the car in front of you. The tail-gater behind you always (even more foolishly) views two car lengths as a glaring invitation to pass! --But, who can blame them?.... after having dangerously done so a half dozen times, they can gain at least a 50-foot advantage every 5-miles or so! ... Now, that's worth risking lives for!

Old 02-09-2014, 09:15 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
I agree that drivers are not slow here. But I agree with the OP that sometimes there are some really slow drivers in the left lane. I could not care less about a slow driver in the right lane(s) but in the left it is dangerous and at least down here in Miami area it happens all the time.

At the same time any highway after 11pm the speed limit is automatically up to about 75-80mph at least that is what most people think. And honestly as long as everyone is a decent driver that is not dangerous.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:20 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,576,978 times
You got that right about I-75. Do 80 out there and they'll blow past you like your standing still, even the big trucks.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:23 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Troll is trolling.

we all know that ppl in FL speed like cray on 95.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Guess you have never been on I-4. If you drive slow on that highway you will be shoved to the side of the road.
Yup! Was just in south FL a few weeks ago and on the way down to Miami, I was setting pace around 85 or so and had a couple people move up behind me in the left lane so I courteously switched to the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I agree that drivers are not slow here. But I agree with the OP that sometimes there are some really slow drivers in the left lane. I could not care less about a slow driver in the right lane(s) but in the left it is dangerous and at least down here in Miami area it happens all the time.

At the same time any highway after 11pm the speed limit is automatically up to about 75-80mph at least that is what most people think. And honestly as long as everyone is a decent driver that is not dangerous.
There are definitely drivers out there who feel like it's OK to park their ass in left lane and go the speed limit or less. So obnoxious

Old 02-09-2014, 10:39 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,861 times
Why won't the police take care of this, if it's a major safety issue?

Should any laws be changed to facilitate this? More studies?

Or, are the speeders considered to be more of a safety problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida