Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 12:43 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that if the sea level rises as global warming melts the ice caps, much of Florida will be underwater! Someone else said the sinkholes can sink Florida underwater!

Old 10-22-2006, 02:18 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I read somewhere that if the sea level rises as global warming melts the ice caps, much of Florida will be underwater! Someone else said the sinkholes can sink Florida underwater!
Actually, the seawater will run into the sink holes instead of flooding the surface.

Seriously, of course the sea level will rise as the ice melts. And, I believe it is happening. If no one does anything to stop it, and the worst case prediction happens, it should be a problem some time in the next 100 to 500 years. Prepare now -- stock up on water wings.

As for your other question, I've tried to envision how a relatively small hole in the ground in a relatively tiny area around Spring Hill, Florida could "sink" the entire state. My imagination ran out before I found a scenario.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Maybe we need to consult with the Dutch.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:02 AM

944 posts, read 3,848,020 times
Check out this map, it's amazing. Scroll down to the area you would like to see (presumably FL). Click away. Sometimes it's slow so you may have to try at odd times to avoid heavy traffic. Use the layers checklist on the right to select features. Zoom to your area of FL.

http://www.geo.arizona.edu/dgesl/res...level_rise.htm

Old 10-22-2006, 09:34 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
I definitely want to check out the site Muggy has posted.

Affordable, yes, I've read that same thing. My intention is not to start a debate, but I PERSONALLY don't believe in global warming. I believe it is just another natural phase the earth is going through. I don't debate that we're ruining our atmosphere and our earth with all our emissions and carelessness. So we should definitely be on the side of caution and change our ways. But as I'm sitting here in So. Dak. and our days have been 10-15 degrees below average, I once again question the whole global warming thing. We're already having temps that we'd normally have the end of Nov. Anyway, there is a good show on the weather channel that is on 5pm EST that discusses global warming. It is very informative.

One of the things that I've read that is fascinating is the fact that our most recent mini ice age was from 1555 until the mid 1800s. We are supposed to be coming out of that now starting back in the 1930s. The melting of the Arctic is back to where it was 600 years ago. As I said, it's just my personal feelings and I'd be VERY surprised if Fla. ended up under water in our lifetime.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:19 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
WOW! Orlando will have some prime real estate if global warming is true.

I'm going to go out and buy the biggest gas-guzzling Hummer I can find, and then trade in my electric water heater and stove for wood burning devices. Come on people, let's get going on this. I don't have 60 years to sit around and wait for Central Florida to become a beach front tropical paridise!

Old 10-22-2006, 11:12 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
...DO you research and post meaningful replies...
I made my comments based on my research, using the exact same site where you obtained that map. If you read further, you will see that is where I got my estimate of 100 to 500 years at the projected rates if nothing is done.

The debate over global warming is a good one, and worth having, perhaps on some scientific forum. Here on city-data, the important fact is that in the worst case scenario, there is no one here who will see any inundation. It simply isn't worth worrying about with regards to decisions about where to live in the reasonably near future.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:23 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
a 3 foot storm surge from a storm (cat 1 ) will do the same thing. as you can see the southwest coast would not do very well.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:42 AM

944 posts, read 3,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
a 3 foot storm surge from a storm (cat 1 ) will do the same thing. as you can see the southwest coast would not do very well.
There was a story not long ago about all of the high-rise construction in St. Pete, and while most had been built to wind code, some engineers are worried that they would not be able to handle the sustained pressure of a flood or prolonged storm surge. I'll look for the article...

I can't find it. There are too many search variables. If anyone knows what I am talking about and can link it up - thanks.

As for near-to-medium term housing plans, global warming is not a concern of mine. It may damage already sensitive areas that are prone to erosion (Upham Beach, Egmont Key and so on...), but I don't see any major shift in Florida's coastline worth panicking over.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:50 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
I made my comments based on my research, using the exact same site where you obtained that map. If you read further, you will see that is where I got my estimate of 100 to 500 years at the projected rates if nothing is done.

The debate over global warming is a good one, and worth having, perhaps on some scientific forum. Here on city-data, the important fact is that in the worst case scenario, there is no one here who will see any inundation. It simply isn't worth worrying about with regards to decisions about where to live in the reasonably near future.
The comment was intended for the ones that post just for posting a reply. I like the this post and awareness is great tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida