Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:01 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,813 times

Advertisements

There was a wildlife post out there a while ago stating that NP has one of the largest population of the endangerd panther. While I am the biggest wildlife fanatic out there, does anyone know if they infiltrate backyards, lanais? Have there been any incidents while kids are playing or walking dogs etc? Just curious as we will have both, and want to make sure they are safe as possible.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 01:09 PM

68 posts, read 251,279 times
Personally , I have not seen any Panthers . On the other hand I do get an occasional Bob Cat go through the yard . Bob cats are mainly after the rabbits . Funny when the rabbits disapair , so do the Bob Cats . We have house cats , just make sure they do not stay in the screened in lanai at night , without us out there . Did hear of a neighbor loosing a cat , when the Bob Cat came through the screen . Do not think it is a very common thing though .

Old 12-03-2007, 01:28 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Florida Panther Net - Official Education Site

http://myfwc.com/panther/tips/Panthe...er10-30-06.pdf

Old 12-03-2007, 02:02 PM

Thanks so much. I have to tell my inlaws about the cat thing...they leave their cat outside all night...not even in the lanai. They just moved from CT, so I'm sure the change in wildlife is new for them. That cat is a gonner for sure!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
We see Bobcats all the time. Can't say I've seen a panther except when I was a kid on Little Gasparilla.

OK, where are you getting all this info. You're starting to make me look bad

Old 12-03-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoMoores View Post
We see Bobcats all the time. Can't say I've seen a panther except when I was a kid on Little Gasparilla.

OK, where are you getting all this info. You're starting to make me look bad
I am a research fanatic! It's a sickness really. LOL I did hear about the bocats from the previous poster, and made sure to call down there, and tell eveyrone to bring in the cat.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 PM

LMAO at LewLew! You come up with some of the most bizzare stuff! I don't think I've ever had the panther question before.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:09 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
I saw one at a cat show in Ft Lauderdale and we were allowed to pet it. What a beautiful cat!

Old 12-04-2007, 04:08 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Thanks so much. I have to tell my inlaws about the cat thing...they leave their cat outside all night...not even in the lanai. They just moved from CT, so I'm sure the change in wildlife is new for them. That cat is a gonner for sure!
Don't be a nervous Nellie about it... I have outside cats... and Bobcats in the area all the time. Just don't close the cats in a space where they can be easy pickin's for any predator. Actually one the cats have aclimated they'll do just fine.

However Owls love cats.....

Old 12-04-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Don't be a nervous Nellie about it... I have outside cats... and Bobcats in the area all the time. Just don't close the cats in a space where they can be easy pickin's for any predator. Actually one the cats have aclimated they'll do just fine.

However Owls love cats.....
Now that you mention it. I have seen a hawk eat a cat.

I would worry more about them then the panthers. I'm guessing you might find panthers more toward the Everglades.

We have a cat that was a stray and we kind of adopted her. She stays outside due to our big inside dogs that don't like cats. It's been a couple of years now and no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida