Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:08 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times

Advertisements

I'm a SW Florida native, born and raised here. I would say if you are going to look in the east coast then you need to start your search over in Jupiter. If I ever moved over to the other coast it would be the only place I would consider.

Now, that being said, I love SW Florida. The beaches are great, the schools (at least the school my children go to are great), Artsy, friendly. I really like it here or I wouldn't have stuck around so long. Sarasota county has one of the better school system over on the west coast. Pine View school for the Gifted is consistently rated the top school in the state and one of the top in the Nation.

North Port is probably going to have your lowest average age (38 yrs old) in Sarasota county and also your most reasonable housing prices.

Whether you would like the west coast or east coast better will depend on what type of beaches, schools, and atmosphere you prefer and where in the state you prefer to be located. Both areas are beautiful, as is the entire state of Florida, but both have VERY different natural settings. I think the the east coast has a much faster pace then what the west coast has. It seems to me much more laid back on the west coast.

The beaches on the east side of the state are ocean beaches. That is important to note because ocean beaches have a coarse, darker sand and often rough waves. Ocean beaches, however, are PERFECT for surfing. The waves and characteristics of the tide make it a surfer's haven. Not far from Vero in Cocoa Beach is Ron Jon Surf Shop, one of the largest and most well-known surf shops in the lower 48! People come from miles around to surf these crisp, clear ocean waters.

Sarasota is located on the West coast of Florida. It's close to major cities like St. Petersburg, Tampa and Ft. Myers. The beaches that are in and around Sarasota are gulf beaches, which have silky smooth white sand and much tamer, greenish blue waves. Not ideal for professional surfers, but perfect for relaxing and shell hunting! The calmer waters allow more boating, skiing, and scuba activities. What's important to note about Sarasota is its clean, friendly community and art-driven downtown center. Sarasota takes pride in its theater programs, art galleries and trendy boutiques.

I would highly recommend you visit both areas to get a feel for the varying types of the Florida lifestyle that can be found throughout the state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 PM

166 posts, read 241,060 times
Daytona Beach the world's most famous beach is awesome!!!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2014, 07:11 PM

499 posts, read 586,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceox1962 View Post
We moved from Virginia to Daytona Beach 1 year ago and it is awesome,freaking awesome,the best.
So thrilled to hear it! Love to see positive post like this We can't wait to move out of CT. This was definitely our last winter here, hopefully ever.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Tampa down through Naples is gorgeous. Not too crowded, a littlr quiet, but still quite nice.

As far as the east coast goes i agree with a previous poster: Palm Beach Gardnes, Boca/Delray and Weston.

Also, I wouldn't rule out Sunrise, Parkland, and maybe Coral Springs on the east coast as well.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:00 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Tampa down through Naples is gorgeous. Not too crowded, a littlr quiet, but still quite nice.

As far as the east coast goes i agree with a previous poster: Palm Beach Gardnes, Boca/Delray and Weston.

Also, I wouldn't rule out Sunrise, Parkland, and maybe Coral Springs on the east coast as well.

I agree, good choices and would add Cooper City, Davie and Coconut Creek to the South Florida list.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:19 AM

30 posts, read 45,451 times
Thanks everyone. This is definitely helping us out a lot!

To SoFLGal: great info. We are definitely not surfers so the white sands and calmer water as well as the more laid back temperament of the west coast is still pulling us in that direction.

We do not want to live in an apartment. What would we be looking at in terms of prices for two bedroom homes/condos in or around the tampa/sarasota area. We rent a nice/small 2 bedroom house now but buying is not out of the question.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
At your age, and accounting for a 5 year sabbatical, I'd be researching Hawaii.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:50 AM

389 posts, read 662,717 times
You've gotten some outstanding suggestions and information and your biggest problem (a nice one to have) may be sorting everything out and making a decision.

If you have a nothing-ventured-nothing-gained philosophy, you might want to take at least a quick glance at Fort Lauderdale. The nicer eastern areas are pricey, but you're close to everything and if your combined incomes match what you're earning up north and you're skilled at budgeting, the financial situation can be managed. If nothing else, there are two Primanti Bros. here (one of which is on the beach) and a few huge Steelers/Pittsburgh-centric bars, so you won't totally be leaving Pittsburgh behind.

The other southeast Florida suggestions are spot-on. As far as the west coast of Florida, friends of ours who have moved to the Sarasota area have been sending back positive reports.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:02 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2pa View Post
Thanks everyone. This is definitely helping us out a lot!

To SoFLGal: great info. We are definitely not surfers so the white sands and calmer water as well as the more laid back temperament of the west coast is still pulling us in that direction.

We do not want to live in an apartment. What would we be looking at in terms of prices for two bedroom homes/condos in or around the tampa/sarasota area. We rent a nice/small 2 bedroom house now but buying is not out of the question.
You'd probably be looking at around $1300+ per month for a decent condo or home in the Sarasota area.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
I like that the "We Want To Move To Florida"! thread is right next to the "Don't Move Here"! thread. Yin and yang I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida