Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Elitist. Gimme those pink plastic yard flamingos!
Last time I saw flocks of pink plastic yard flamingos was during the fight about incorporating Ponte Vedra Beach. The pink flamingos were the symbol of the "anti-incorporation" people in those areas where HOAs didn't prohibit their display. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I feel the glory days of Wantagh and Bergen County, NJ are the past.

I'm curious of southern Jersey, especially the pine barrens.

Any particular reasons you haven't visited the aforementioned places much?
No reason to visit those places. All of our immediate family (parents/siblings/nieces/nephew) left to live elsewhere in the US. And they're not exactly tourist areas. Our immediate family is now scattered around Florida - North Carolina - Arizona - California - Oregon - Wisconsin - Michigan and Georgia.

Note that I lived in Delaware Township (which is now Cherry Hill NJ) and my father - IIRC - built in a place called Delran. Both areas were pretty rural back then - but I understand they're very developed now. Also - IIRC - we used to drive through the pine barrens to get to Atlantic City (where my parents kept a boat) - but I really don't know/remember much about that area. Robyn

Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslainey View Post
Robyn, You're a woman who commands attention, so you got it.

kitsh...that would be..... yiddish, no? I'm German-American and about as WASPY as a person can be so please translate "kitsch" into English for the rest of us. I wouldn't want any of your condescending comments to go unnoticed.

"Up west" is common local syntax for west of Suffolk County, specifically Nassau, Queens, and NYC. (you sure you grew up here?) Any other questions about local idioms or why we east enders do our best to differentiate ourselves from those "up west"?

It's a funny thing about family, culture, ethnicity, etc....no matter how far we move from our place of origin, each of us retains that which we grew up in....it is who we are. Grow up in loud, in-your-face, argumentive family and that's who you are, no matter where you live. Grow up in a quiet, gentile, thoughtful family....and that's who you are, no matter where you live. It is what it is. As for me, I think it's fun to go to a carnival or circus...... for one day.... but I wouldn't want to live at one.

Don't you think going into politics in this forum is a "tad" off topic and more than a little abrasive? If I knew you and liked you, my feelings might be hurt, but....I neither know you nor like you, and what you think of me is none of my business.

If you wish to continue your obnoxious off-topic comments, please start a new thread.

Namaste
Wow - this makes it even harder for me to think of a place in Florida you'd like. We'd probably be too Jewish - or too Baptist - or too Catholic - or too Hispanic - or too red-neck or too *whatever* (maybe too many tattoos?). And just FWIW - my husband's family is about as waspy as they come - old English whose ancestors came to the US in the 18th century (maybe the 17th - can't remember). And he somehow wound up with a currently very eclectic family. The tribe in the younger generations runs the gamut from tattoo covered young adults who'd look right at home at a punk rock concert to a very proper Baptist preacher (and there's just about everything in between). And we all get along just fine.

BTW - I don't think of all Germans as being like you describe - because I've been to events like this in Germany:

Carnival of Cultures - Berlin.de

I only hope that those of us in Florida - and elsewhere around the US - can learn to celebrate our diversity of cultures the way that Germans do these days. Robyn

Old 05-01-2014, 05:42 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The < $200k for a house is a deal breaker in terms of most areas people have mentioned. Even here in NE Florida. Parts of the Panhandle - like you mentioned - and perhaps the Big Bend area - are about the only places you'll find in that price range. Robyn
I think the OP could find something in this price range in or around Dunedin, although if he could make do with a condo in a 55" development he could do much better.. And I think Dunedin would suit him. It's small, with a mixed demographic (although it skews older), has a great Art Center that does all kinds of classses, is close to the beaches, and has a really nice vibe with lots of restaurants, bars, cafes, and winter festivals.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:13 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Take a look at Vero Beach. I could recommend several other places, but that would be more of a observance rather than an actual living experience.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,269 times
Lightbulb Heaven

Try Port St. Joe or Apalachicola, Fl., Lainey. It is truly heaven on earth and has everything you asked for and more. I am a transplanted Long Island girl and can tell you that this is the place you're probably looking for. There are many homes for sale in your price range. If you make it down this way, please message me and I can show you around. All the best!

Old 08-21-2015, 02:27 PM

48 posts, read 76,970 times
it's been awhile since I visiting this thread. I've visited several areas of the east coast (Jacksonville to just south of WPB) and as one person stated - Vero Beach is lovely (for a more rural area Sebastian is quite a bit like Eastern LI was prior to the surge of western Suffolk/Nassau/Queens to eastern LI which has just about destroyed what was a lovely place to live.

I've found LOTS of homes, many in move-in condition, around $200K and quite a few lower than that, so yes, Florida is much much less expensive than LI and taxes are a fraction of what we pay. For those who do not know, Nassau and Suffolk Counties on LI have been named as THE most expensive locations to live in the USA. If one checks migratory statistics of LI they will see an exodus that was in the making for over 20 years. It's a no brainer for retirees to leave, whether they can afford LI or not.....much better things to do with $8K to $30K rather than pay taxes.

So......the people I met in Sebastian and Vero Beach were lovely, welcoming....very very friendly. So many of them are from all over the country - they like me are looking to make new friends. PERFECT! Those I met who have either lived there long-term (many many many also from elsewhere) or born and bred in Florida were friendly as well. Maybe I got lucky but I did not encounter a single snob among them and I was out and about by myself the entire visit. Even at restaurants I was invited to join others. (that NEVER happens on LI - especially not to a single woman) The Vero Beach Museum of art offers, in addition to exhibits, lots of classes in the arts, as well as lecture series, live performances. The staff at the museum was equally friendly and accommodating - they opened up the pottery studio during off hours so I could take a look, spent an hour telling me of museum activities and then about volunteer opportunities. (love that museum)

Nearby Riverside Park holds outdoor concerts, fairs, festivals. All are nearby and those that do have an associated fee are reasonable. I briefly attended a Pirate Fair at the Riverside Park (obviously an event geared toward children and families but still I had fun) and again met very friendly and welcoming people. When they learned I was researching real property and deciding where to relocate and would not know anyone there, several said "we're all in the same boat." The vendors, the visitors.....all fun to spend time with. Families and couples both welcomed me to join them and so I did.

Beaches are beautiful - I visited Wabasso and Golden Sands Beaches. Both lovely, no problem parking, FREE, and met people I easily would welcome as friends. I also went kayaking at the Sebastian Inlet State Park (just a few minutes away) and again met wonderful people and many who had relocated from elsewhere: California, NJ, NY (all laid back and friendly without the edginess that NYers are known for and which I want to get away from), Connecticut, Mass., NC, SC, other areas of Florida.

Also visited McKee Garden which is absolutely gorgeous. I spent a cloudy day in the gardens and was enchanted.

There are numerous opportunities to volunteer in the area (including the Vero Beach Museum) which is a great way to make new friends. There is also a Buddhist community and several different Buddhist meetings in the area which I will also explore. All of it is within minutes of anywhere in Sebastian and not much more from Vero. Also met some people with seasonal homes in Barefoot Bay (educators considering f/t relocation to the area) but those are ...forget what Florida callls them, mobile homes and not for me. But again, professional educated people, friendly and welcoming.

The only down side to Sebastian is the lack of townhomes. Very small condos on the barrier island and houses throughout Sebastian, most priced $150K to $200K. Housing is however very reasonable and I don't think it would be difficult to hire a handyman or whatever needed services at reasonable rates which is what I would do. Re: demographics I do believe there are a larger number of elderly people living in Sebastian (I'll be there some day myself) but want neighbors I have something in common, so it's looking more and more like Vero Beach....TBD hopefully over the next visit.

Heading south, I visited Hypoluxo to spend time with a relative (for the most part out of my price range unless I want a 1000 sq. ft. condo with no garage and no storage - fine for a vacation get away but not good for full-time residence.)

Lake Worth is not a place I would live (run down with some pretty bad areas although - there may be some better areas that I overlooked - it's just not for me). I did find a friendly cooperative clay studio in Lake Worth where many artists live. If anyone knows of nicer areas in Lake Worth feel free to correct me. West Palm Beach is very built up (no surprise there) and too much concrete for me, but easy access to water does tone down the hard edges of the area and there's LOTS to do (including my having a cousin living there). Boynton Beach (the beach itself) is lovely but...beaches in this area (WPB, BB, etc.)from what I saw are not free and if you're a serious beach goer then that's something to consider. Almost forgot - beaches - ALL that I visited on the east cost - are CLEAN.

Volunteer opportunities are numerous at county parks and should I end up near my cousin, then that's where I'll head to join activities, support the community and meet others.

During my stay in Hypoluxo I went to a Craft Beer Venue for...what else? Craft Beer, music and ....weirdly, a meal off a food truck (not your yucky NY hot dog trucks). This was actually decent food - I had steak and lobster and it was yummy. (apparently these food trucks are popular in Florida and I can see why).

"Traffic" on I-95 is a piece of cake. It was about a 90 min. drive from Sebastian to Hypoluxo and it was a breeze, even during "rush hour."

The energy (for those sensitive to that, as I am) is positive and healthy. Unlike LI where people are working either long hours or two and three jobs to pay to live here - lots of stress here. (yes, even for educated people in the professions). People are friendlier, less intense and non-aggressive. I loved it. (yeah yeah, bad people everywhere but overall it's friendly and people are helpful). As for summer heat and humidity I do not have to shovel heat or humidity. I'd rather be stuck inside for a couple months due to heat than dealing with winter, snow, slush, lousy roads, dangerous drivers from November to April. (heck, I'll either go to the beach or spend more time with art classes) I hope I never see snow again and yes, I've visited Florida in every season. Christmas is fun - palm trees strung with lights are beautiful. This most recent trip was end of July/early August and it was hotter on LI than it was there. Even overcast days were beautiful. I did get caught in one torrential rainstorm on I-95 but...when it became difficult to see, I pulled to the shoulder (as did many others) to wait it out. Drivers that kept moving, dropped their speed to a crawl as opposed to here on LI where nothing slows down many driver and most (including those of us parked) turned on flashers . It was fine - glad I didn't have to be anywhere at a specific time so no worries, at least for me and it was over in about 15 minutes. (yes, I do know there are dangerous drivers everywhere but of the numerous states I have traveled, LI wins for dangerous driving.) Cell phones use while driving is permitted in Florida (while they are NOT in NY); however despite the legality of cell use while driving, I saw much less of it. Maybe that's because of the overall slower pace. No idea but I appreciate it.

I'll be visiting Hypoluxo again in a few weeks to stay with my cousin again (negotiating with a buyer as we speak and if this goes through, then I'm on my way - if not, then will postpone the next trip for a bit) to visit family and look at a townhome in Tequesta in my price range and head back to Vero for another visit.

Thank you to those who were supportive of my finding housing in Florida at or near $200K and for your suggestions as to where to look. (there would be even MORE housing for me to consider if I did not have dogs.) No need to warn me of hot summers (that's why I'm heading to Florida) and yes, I am looking at CBS construction and will talk to insurance companies about elevations/flood ins, proximity to water prior to entering any contracts.

A suggestion for others looking to relocate and wanting to stay "local" to see how it feels. I stayed in a private home (via airbnb) and loved it. I've become friends with the homeowner and look forward to seeing her regularly when I've moved south.

Thank you again and perhaps I'll meet some of you when I've sold my house here on LI. So excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida