Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:38 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times

Advertisements

I was reading the Illegal Immigrants thread and a post there quite intrigued me. I've been in Rhody for four years now - I consider myself a local. But obviously, not being from here, I still notice differences between here and where I came from. (Florida).

How would you all describe Rhode Islanders? What makes them that way? Do you believe there is definitely a major cultural difference between this State and others?

I've always wanted to be able to describe the differences here to people in FL, but I always end up just talking about the Pawsox and chowda haha.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 01:05 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,123,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I was reading the Illegal Immigrants thread and a post there quite intrigued me. I've been in Rhody for four years now - I consider myself a local. But obviously, not being from here, I still notice differences between here and where I came from. (Florida).

How would you all describe Rhode Islanders? What makes them that way? Do you believe there is definitely a major cultural difference between this State and others?

I've always wanted to be able to describe the differences here to people in FL, but I always end up just talking about the Pawsox and chowda haha.

Thanks in advance.
Rnrboy

You should have a great time with this thread so let me jump in and add just a few points from the perspective of one who was born and raised in RI.

What makes us different:
We love Autocrat coffee syrup in our milk, NY System hot weiners from The Weiner Man, Del's Lemonade, clam cakes, cream style chowda, and see nothing wrong with our accent even though some say we sound like NJ and NY folks. Fohgeddabowdit! We are unique in so many ways as other posters in here will explain.
We live in NC now and everytime I have to talk to someone new they ask if I am from Jersey! (sigh!). You can never lose the RI accent no matter where you go or how hard you try (I don't try at all) and when you start talking with someone else from RI it comes back with a vengeance.
Good luck with this thread...hope you know what you started

Old 12-05-2007, 01:19 PM

To be honest, I haven't found one cosistent accent in here. Some people sound like you said (mainly around Providence an surrounding suburbs) - but others sound far more like they're from Boston or Maine. I have fuond a notable difference, for example, between a South County accent and a Cranston accent haha.

But yeah, hopefully we will have fun with this one!

Old 12-05-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
To be honest, I haven't found one cosistent accent in here. Some people sound like you said (mainly around Providence an surrounding suburbs) - but others sound far more like they're from Boston or Maine. I have fuond a notable difference, for example, between a South County accent and a Cranston accent haha.

But yeah, hopefully we will have fun with this one!
The true, original accent will be what you hear in Prahhvidence, Craaaanston, Johnston and Nawt Providence. I see you are from where I originated, home of Vinnie Paz, Cranston High School EAST (or are you on the "other" end?) and the infamous festival and parade in Knightsville (where I was born)....not to mention the ACI.

I hope you draw a lot of posts as once this warms up it will go on forever.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 AM

Unfortunately it's not drawing any posts besides ours haha.

FYI, I live in Thornton right on the Johnston border.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:50 AM

Rnrboy....be patient...this thread will definitely spring to life as Rhode Islanders won't be able to resist such a topic. Maybe the cold weather has frozen their computers

Old 12-06-2007, 09:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,215 times
Here's one: Rhode Islanders think driving 20 minutes to a destination is an all day affair-as if you're driving to NYC for the afternoon.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 8,533 times
How about referring to landmarks that aren't there anymore when giving directions!!

Yea, take a left at the old ALMACS and its in the same lot where Crescent Paak yused to be.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood 22 View Post
How about referring to landmarks that aren't there anymore when giving directions!!

Yea, take a left at the old ALMACS and its in the same lot where Crescent Paak yused to be.
As long as you raised this issue, and what you said is true, when I lived there we gave directions using landmarks that ONLY locals knew about...like take a left at Yetzky's Corners drive about 2 to 9 red lights then bang a right into where there once was a dry cleaners but now I think it's a movie house...or something...get the drift?

Rhode Islanders are used to having everything within minutes and not hours and the drive from Providence all the way down to Newport could take almost an hour!!! I am ragging on this as I was a native local myself. Now I live down south where, when you ask for directions, they will use churches as landmarks and tell you a short story while doing it. When in Rome..My two cents again.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:20 AM

5 posts, read 14,901 times
Smile What makes a Rhode Islander

I was born and raised in RI......Now living in Virginia....
A true Rhode Islander, loves choricou on everything. An Awful, Awful from Newport Creamry can not be beat - even better a Cabinet......The 50 steps is a great place to think and ponder. Coffee syrup is a MUST with a pastrami grinder.....Alot has changed since I have left, but I will always have fond memories....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island