Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:08 AM

774 posts, read 2,383,491 times
Let me just say this in the STRONGEST of terms:
before moving anywhere, including but maybe especially Rhode Island, you should be spending a lot of time there and talking with as many different people as you can.

Any forum is full of opinions, but I would strongly disagree with a lot that get posted here.

Sometimes I show my wife what gets posted and we just laugh.
They're peoples' opinions and they have a right to them.

Some forums are influenced by people that are overly positive, others by people that are overly negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
Hey Rnrboy,

I moved here from Florida myself about 5 years ago. I agree that to most Rhode Islanders, twenty minutes is a LONG drive. In Florida, that's what I expected it to take just to get to the grocery store!
I hear about the coffee milk, but I've yet to try it.
I think going to P-Bruins games makes someone a RI'er as well.
People here talk about "bubblers" and "jimmies", but I refuse to use those terms!

Wow! Another Florida transplant. Good to see you post.

Do you get people you used to know down there saying "How can you live up there in the COLD?" Besides my sister, everyone I know down there thinks I'm nuts for moving up here, but I much prefer it.

Totally different type of people too, really.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:56 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,651,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Wow! Another Florida transplant. Good to see you post.

Do you get people you used to know down there saying "How can you live up there in the COLD?" Besides my sister, everyone I know down there thinks I'm nuts for moving up here, but I much prefer it.

Totally different type of people too, really.
Oh yes, all the time. My friends in Florida say things like, "How about that snow? Man, that stinks."

I'm originally a Northeasterner anyway (Long Island) so I knew what I was in for! This actually brings up another thing about Rhode Island: Many people hear "Rhode Island" and say, "That's part of New York, right?" It makes RI'ers want to yell, "IT'S A STATE!!! HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW THAT???"

Where did you live in Florida?

Old 12-14-2007, 03:08 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,908 times
What I have noticed about native RIs is that they mindlessly follow tradition to the bitter end..and I mean bitter! Everytime I hang in RI I am forced to relive everyone's memories of the great restaurants of their childhood, that unfortunately still exist today.

I have had the great displeasure of eating at Twin Oaks, Greggs, Cassertas, clam cakes @ Aunt Carries, and others...all of which are WELL past their prime..yet true RIs continue to go there..because..well...that's what they do. No matter how bad the place...the service...the people...Twin Oaks...will always be Twin Oaks. That is what makes a true Rhody in my book...life in a time warp.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:13 PM

I grew up in the St. Pete/Clearwater area.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:43 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,651,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I grew up in the St. Pete/Clearwater area.
That's cool. I lived in Pasco for a while, then in Pinellas and Tampa. I cann't say I miss it, though it wasn't bad. Overall I'm glad I moved, even with that ridiculous storm yesterday!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:50 PM

Yeah, my parents used to live in Pineallas and now they live out in Dade City in Pasco.

We're pretty much from the same area! You got a year on me though, I've only been here a little over four years.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,123,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
Let me just say this in the STRONGEST of terms:
before moving anywhere, including but maybe especially Rhode Island, you should be spending a lot of time there and talking with as many different people as you can.

Any forum is full of opinions, but I would strongly disagree with a lot that get posted here.

Sometimes I show my wife what gets posted and we just laugh.
They're peoples' opinions and they have a right to them.

Some forums are influenced by people that are overly positive, others by people that are overly negative.
Very true ..and if you have lived in RI long enough you will understand the following without needing a translator : Sazeech his own

Old 12-19-2007, 10:22 AM

6 posts, read 29,677 times
You know, the funny thing is, is that my parents, my brother, and myself don't have the infamous non-rhotic accents you hear so much about. And we were all born and raised here in RI. Some people actually ask ME where I am from, and get shocked to learn I have lived in RI my whole life! They think I'm a westerner...I guess it's something to do with my personality as well. It's funny becuase my dad lived in Alabama for several years when he was a kid (was born here, however and came back), and still says the "s" word like shee-yit!

Old 12-19-2007, 01:35 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,123,820 times
Thumbs up You are the exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Wolf View Post
You know, the funny thing is, is that my parents, my brother, and myself don't have the infamous non-rhotic accents you hear so much about. And we were all born and raised here in RI. Some people actually ask ME where I am from, and get shocked to learn I have lived in RI my whole life! They think I'm a westerner...I guess it's something to do with my personality as well. It's funny becuase my dad lived in Alabama for several years when he was a kid (was born here, however and came back), and still says the "s" word like shee-yit!
Ice Wolf: You are one of the many exceptions,,but I think it is because you live in Tiverton and not up in the Greater Providence area (Providence, Craaaanston, Johnston and Nawt Providence) Maybe you were taught better in your school system, I don't know. I have several friends in Tiverton, Portsmouth, Jamestown and Newport and they talk like you described you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island