Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:16 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,123,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshie88 View Post
I was born and raised in RI......Now living in Virginia....
A true Rhode Islander, loves choricou on everything. An Awful, Awful from Newport Creamry can not be beat - even better a Cabinet......The 50 steps is a great place to think and ponder. Coffee syrup is a MUST with a pastrami grinder.....Alot has changed since I have left, but I will always have fond memories....
Regarding those born and raised in RI, no matter where they go, this is true...."You can take the person out of Rhode Island but you cannot take Rhode Island out of the person".

RI native now living permanently in NC.

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 12-13-2007 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: I made an oops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 01:36 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,651,464 times
Hey Rnrboy,

I moved here from Florida myself about 5 years ago. I agree that to most Rhode Islanders, twenty minutes is a LONG drive. In Florida, that's what I expected it to take just to get to the grocery store!
I hear about the coffee milk, but I've yet to try it.
I think going to P-Bruins games makes someone a RI'er as well.
People here talk about "bubblers" and "jimmies", but I refuse to use those terms!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:49 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,600 times
Bruce Sundlun told me a joke once which I find very descriptive of Rhode Islanders:

A man from Rhode Island and his brother in law, a Texan, sit on the Rhode Islander's porch and have a drink together.

The Texan says:
"So, tell me, how much land do you have?"

His brother in law just shrugs and points to a tree at the corner of his property, then to a stonewall on the other side.

"That's about it. Not too much."

The Texan laughs for a while and when he calms down he says:

"When I want to get to the borders of my land, I get into a pickup truck in the morning, drive west and in the evening I finally reach the western border of my property."

The Rhode Islander nods sagely and says:

"Yupp, had a car like that once too."

Old 12-13-2007, 05:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshie88 View Post
A true Rhode Islander, loves choricou on everything.
I spent the first 17 years of my life in RI. I have lived in 6 states, both coasts, since. I still say "Bubbler" to which my Texan hubby laughs. But I have no idea what a "choricou" is. Please help...

Old 12-13-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I spent the first 17 years of my life in RI. I have lived in 6 states, both coasts, since. I still say "Bubbler" to which my Texan hubby laughs. But I have no idea what a "choricou" is. Please help...

Chouriço's the portuguese name for a certain pork sausage. Lots of portuguese people in Rhode Island so lots of chouriço around.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,215 times
Ah..sounds yummy...we used to go to a Portuguese bakery on Hope Street for Sweet Bread when I was a kid.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 PM

I'd say it's an acquired taste. Some people love it, some hate it.

Definitely not for everybody, but hey...

Old 12-13-2007, 07:00 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,123,820 times
Thumbs up shooreese

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Now, if you want to impress your hubby, be reminded that natives pronounce chourico as shooreese, with heavier emphasis on the reese, and say it with gusto!

Bubbla is still valid slang in Rhody.

How about jeet? (Did you eat?). Get the movie Federal Hill. It's like taking a language lesson...

Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 PM

774 posts, read 2,383,491 times
Personally, I've never met anyone who didn't like chourico sandwiches (I'm sure there out there, but I've never met them).

Chourico is also great in cooking a wide variety of dishes as well. It really spices things up.

I recently moved to Southwest Florida.
The first time I walked into a Publix Supermarket....Ding.. there's the Chourico...... ahhhhh... just like home.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,792 times
Default New here...

...and planning a move to RI in June. I'm looking forward to it, although the high taxes and flat job market are making me a little concerned. Still, I'm hearing much more positive than negative feedback.

This post is interesting; it's giving me a different perspective on the everyday. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island