Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: great schools, safe area, teaching job, college, downtown.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:10 AM

28 posts, read 113,834 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to relocate from Upstate NY to a somewhat warmer climate within the next two years. I thought it would be fun to take a month long road trip next summer (when our two children are a little older) to visit 5 or 6 towns that we may want to move to. If anyone has any suggestions about where we should look into I would be open to your ideas. I have done extensive research regaring crime, weather, schools, jobs, etc using the internet but there is nothing like first hand advice.

Our kids will only be 8 and 6 so a good school system may be important unless we utilize private schools. Low crime is very important to us. Weather needs to be less cold than upstate ny (which shouldn't be hard to find!) Some jobs would also be a plus, I will be looking for a teaching job and my husband for something in law enforcement. We currently live in a small rural town about an hour from Rochester and would like to be a little closer to 'things', but a small town would be ok.

I appreciate any information you can give us in our search for a great place to call home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2006, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 15,165 times
....how about checking out "Niceville, Florida" (no kidding) in the FLorida Panhandle, between Pensacola and Panama City. It is the nice small town, with really good school you might be looking for....

Old 05-22-2006, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 8,508 times
Default Visit DeLand

DeLand, located in Volusia County, Florida, may be one of Florida's best kept secrets. Imagine a college campus classified as a National Historic District. Add to that a downtown brimming with notable gift shops and restaurants. Then place it between the shores of the St. Johns River and the silvery surf of the Atlantic Ocean.

Finally, picture all this only 25 minutes from Daytona Beach and about 40 minutes from Orlando. DeLand delights visitors with all the possibilities and hospitality a small Southern town can offer.

Tree shaded streets adorned with handsome homes cocoon the campus of Florida's oldest private college, Stetson University. Stetson's presence enhances the community's rich cultural offerings with theater, recitals, museums and a vibrant speakers program.

Nearby parks offer camping, picnicking, swimming, scuba diving and canoeing. Get a peek at Manatees in Blue Springs, or boat over to Hontoon Island State Park to see a cypress swamp on the St. Johns River. Explore the early settler's history at DeLeon Springs State Park, where you can griddle your own pancakes at The Old Spanish Sugar Mill, then paddle a canoe through the wilderness.

When you need a beach for cruising or sunning, drive on the sands of Daytona, or seek out a calmer shore in New Smyrna Beach. Still feeling restless?... Skydive DeLand offers instruction on jumping from planes.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:08 PM

131 posts, read 184,216 times
Default Niceville

Niceville is indeed a very nice little town. Great schools(A+) clean with low crime , close to everything. Lived here 10 years.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchBriBri View Post
My family and I are planning to relocate from Upstate NY to a somewhat warmer climate within the next two years. I thought it would be fun to take a month long road trip next summer (when our two children are a little older) to visit 5 or 6 towns that we may want to move to. If anyone has any suggestions about where we should look into I would be open to your ideas. I have done extensive research regaring crime, weather, schools, jobs, etc using the internet but there is nothing like first hand advice.

Our kids will only be 8 and 6 so a good school system may be important unless we utilize private schools. Low crime is very important to us. Weather needs to be less cold than upstate ny (which shouldn't be hard to find!) Some jobs would also be a plus, I will be looking for a teaching job and my husband for something in law enforcement. We currently live in a small rural town about an hour from Rochester and would like to be a little closer to 'things', but a small town would be ok.

I appreciate any information you can give us in our search for a great place to call home!

You may want to check out where i live in Inverness (citrus county) it's on the west central coast. It's a small fairly quiet town with some of the better schools in FL according to the school ratings list anyways. Plenty of law enforcement who are good at keeping on top of things around here. Most of the crimes around here are minimal ones. Always have a few teaching positions open. We have several schools in the county. Inverness alone has the elementary and high school next door to each other and the middle school is less than a mile from them so it's good if you'll have kids in different school grades as they are all close by.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:40 PM

345 posts, read 977,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delandite View Post
DeLand, located in Volusia County, Florida, may be one of Florida's best kept secrets. Imagine a college campus classified as a National Historic District. Add to that a downtown brimming with notable gift shops and restaurants. Then place it between the shores of the St. Johns River and the silvery surf of the Atlantic Ocean.

Finally, picture all this only 25 minutes from Daytona Beach and about 40 minutes from Orlando. DeLand delights visitors with all the possibilities and hospitality a small Southern town can offer.

Tree shaded streets adorned with handsome homes cocoon the campus of Florida's oldest private college, Stetson University. Stetson's presence enhances the community's rich cultural offerings with theater, recitals, museums and a vibrant speakers program.

Nearby parks offer camping, picnicking, swimming, scuba diving and canoeing. Get a peek at Manatees in Blue Springs, or boat over to Hontoon Island State Park to see a cypress swamp on the St. Johns River. Explore the early settler's history at DeLeon Springs State Park, where you can griddle your own pancakes at The Old Spanish Sugar Mill, then paddle a canoe through the wilderness.

When you need a beach for cruising or sunning, drive on the sands of Daytona, or seek out a calmer shore in New Smyrna Beach. Still feeling restless?... Skydive DeLand offers instruction on jumping from planes.
Absolutely. DeLand is a great place. My parents are considering it as a retirement town. As a Stetson grad who lived 4 years in DeLand, I can vouch for it as a nice place to live.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:55 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Hobe Sound, Tequesta, and Jupiter are towns you might want to look into on the Southeast/Centralish coast. They have a smaller town feel and are still convenient to South Florida amenities with low crime, and good schools.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:48 PM

250 posts, read 1,470,068 times
Sebastian or Vero Beach are small towns with low crime and good schools too. By the beach which is nice. One and half hours from orlando if you want to do Disney and half an hour from Melbourne which is another nice place to be

Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 PM

18 posts, read 103,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delandite View Post

Is it an expensive "little" town, as far as housing is concerned?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,150 times
Default did you move....and where

We just found out we are moving to Niceville Florida.....very excited, but really I do want all the scoop I can get. We have two children 12 and 10 and my husband is taking a job at Eglin, but in a civilian position. Information on neighborhoods and opportunities for children as far as sports and rec go...would be great. Thanks for any help anyone can provide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida