Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM

57 posts, read 59,346 times

Advertisements

I came on here to get real usefull info from a local point of view. I have come to the conclusion that Florida's crime stats are the only irrelevant crime stats in the nation. I read where Florida is ranked 8th in the U.S. for crime, but when i read posts on this site i hear alot of transplanted Floridians from states all over saying how much worse crime was in thier home state than Florida....I was just wondering if there is a conspiracy going on here. Is it pride that makes people not believe that stats are true? Am i to beleive now that Detroit and St. Louis aren't ranked ahead of NYC, Phili, Chicago, L.A., and Oklahoma City as well. Tell me why i should accept what transplants say about crime being worse in thier home state and why i should deny the stats that place 7 other states having higher crime rates than Florida....and everywhere else as being safer states.

Please tell me what state you are from and what part of Florida you live/lived in if you are going to reply. I am just trying to know if i can trust these stats that say cities like Detroit and St. Louis are really as bad as the stats say they are or is Florida the only area where these stats are not true..

Remember ....I do not claim Florida is the "worst" state as far as crime, but it is ranked pretty high , and only people from 7 other states can say it is worse than Florida going by statistics.

Thank you,

Old 12-14-2007, 05:18 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Dude, more people are on your side than the other side of this one. Way more.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
The main problem here and I say here meaning South Florida is the separation of the haves and the have nothings. This is a tough area to get ahead in, even if your educated and work hard, salaries here are not the greatest compared to other expensive areas. The good thing is those that are educated don't usually settle to a life of crime to buy the bling and to steal and cheat (though corruption is very bad here, even in local goverment) to get ahead. They continue to work hard and cut corners to get ahead and live. I know of a few people that are sure they can make more money elsewhere and have this and that, but know they won't have the same weather and surroundings and quality of life (non-material things).

Florida is a place where some people come with stars in their eyes, thinking that things will happen overnight and sometimes they never will happen. The state is going in or is in a recession, a lot of people are foreclosing on their homes, losing their jobs and etc. The job market here is service based and primarily small businesses. There are no big plants here paying non-college educated people incredible salaries as in states where Unions are prevalent.

So to some it's easier and profitable to steal, rob, sell drugs and plunder then it is to work an honest day's job and be happy with what you have and where you are. Of course that's not just Florida now is it?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Well here is my inconsequential take on crime regarding Florida. I came from a town of 14,000 in Massachusetts. So take it from that tiny-town perspective.

Yes, I was mortified by the crime when I moved to Orlando, but I found the city to be lovely. That was 1996.

Shortly after, I moved to Fort Myers. I found the crime to be less, but that became much more in a short period of time.

I've been in Knoxville for over two years, and I find the crime to be less than both of those Florida cities, but still more than my hometown.

I do, however, find the sexual assaults on students by teachers to be strangely large.

I guess, if you are coming from Detroit, you would find the crime in most Florida cities to be so much less.

In the long run, I think small-town people are happier if they move to small towns and big-city people are happier in big cities, as a general rule of thumb, no matter what state you are moving to.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:20 PM

548 posts, read 540,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
I was a little shocked to hear that FL was number 8. I would have thought it to be higher unfortunately. I mean, FL is always on the news nationwide. Whether it is Sean Taylor case, the women in Lake Wales set on fire in that store, and the little girl and her mother shot and killed in Boca Raton. To the endless (it seems) number of sex offender arrests and child abductions to the road rage and politicians and teachers involved in sex stings... We are in the top 3 I believe when one takes into account all of these crimes. We may not be up there with Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona when it comes to murder, but when you throw all of the crime into one category, we are way up there. I dont believe FL is better (crimewise) than SC or TN. I dont buy that, unfortunately.
The stats are the stats. Its not something you can "buy" or not. I travel a lot and every single local paper is loaded with crime stories. Teacher/students, assaults, bank robberies....you only think your area is worse because you read the local papers and watch the local news. Its everywhere.

Florida is #8, not top 3. The rankings are the rankings.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:51 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Is all about the area and how is affecting you. We lived in 3 different areas of the state Satellite Beach (1988-1992) very nice area at the time, now a bit crowed and I don't feel comfortable. Homestead (1992) did not like the area felt worst than Harlem. Relocated in 1998 to Navarre, complete different world. Ten years later this area has grown but still provides a feeling of security, I know all the families in the community (about 40), crime has not affected our area, yes we do have crime and everything else but does not happen in my community. I travel to Fort Walton Beach every day, great location, a bit faster than Navarre with more stores ( we only have a Wal-Mart) and everyone is friendly. My son ans daughter attended school in Navarre and one is attending OWCC no problems.

We have not experienced crime first hand so can't complain, but all of my friend are in the same situation we realy enjoy this area and we called it paradise.

From Bronx NYC....

Old 12-14-2007, 09:01 PM

639 posts, read 1,142,772 times
Default From NYC

Hey,
I just relocated from NYC in October of this year. I am a lifelong born and raised New Yorker in Brooklyn and Staten Island and worked 20 years in the NYPD. I miss NOTHING about New York and am presently living in unincorporated Western Palm Beach County between Boynton Beach and Wellington. I can tell you one thing...there is MUCH more crime down here and it is more violent with many more shootings. It is like the wild west down here. That shooting at the Boca Mall just broke my heart. What kind of an animal shoots a mother AND her eight year old daughter?? Let me reiterate that I love Florida and the move down here and don't plan on leaving any time soon but when I go to the supermarket or Walgreens ANYTIME in the evening I will not allow my children to go with me for fear of the place being robbed. Think I'm being overdramatic?? I can assure you I am not. There is no place in this country that is crime free or without problems but Florida seems to be a little more violent than most places I have been to.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:33 PM

12 posts, read 61,809 times
I'm originally from Boston but no matter where you go there will always be crime. I live in Tampa Bay and I would have to say that the crimes are getting worse. I watch the news and read the paper every day and there's always something that you will think is sick and twisted. The other day there was a guy who a man and then set 2 women in fire. All the rapes and the shooting that go on down here is getting worse. Just read the papers or go on line and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Sunrico, my dad was born in the Bronx. Half of my family is from New York.

The first crime personally experienced was in that small town of 14,000, when I was 14.

Crime is unacceptable, wherever and whenever, and we should do something about it. We all should speak up.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:06 PM

61 posts, read 267,865 times
Default Florida Crime

I am in Jupiter Farms... just west of Jupiter. I have seen the crime increase in South FL over the years. Even in Jupiter Farms there is a bit more crime but I think it is relatively safe. There are areas that are really bad and one just needs to stay away.

Seems the crimes we have here are always sensational and make the headlines. Seems like we are getting more nut cases. Not sure why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida