Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

20 year Florida resident moving away, nothing changes in Florida, smells like a swamp, Florida weather too hot all year long, sub-par education system

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,339 times

Advertisements

some of us HAVE to leave the state due to inaffordability----now i am on medicare--can't afford it here---very few ancillary help for senior citizens----don't want to be a 70 yr old stocker at walmart working so i can afford the rental on the spot on which my mobile home sits(met a few people already doing this)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 08:48 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
What an assumption! Are you the only Floridian to find your way to an airport? We've lived here for less than three years and in that time we've been to Europe, California, Chicago, and at least a dozen trips to Massachusetts. We're leaving tomorrow for 10 days in New England. The only way to live somewhere you don't totally like is to leave often. This isn't rocket science. We've figured this out as soon as we got here.
How did you happen to pick here in the first place? You usually need a list of wants and needs that dictate your decisions. What has changed so much in the last three years that you feel like you need to make an escape as soon as possible? Was the whole idea just one big mistake in the first place?

My comments regarding vacationing was sort of general because so many make it sound like they are prisoners in their own homes. Everybody needs to get away from time to time no matter where they live. The hatred I read here though almost sounds psychotic in many of the posts. Leading me to think that Florida may be the least of their problems even though they try to personify it that way, like Florida is an evil entity. It's just a place.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:14 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
The hatred I read here though almost sounds psychotic in many of the posts. Leading me to think that Florida may be the least of their problems even though they try to personify it that way, like Florida is an evil entity. It's just a place.
Still making wild assumptions, aye. Not everyone who complains can be lumped together as 'haters' or 'psychotics'. Personally speaking, I think Florida has it's pros and cons as any state. I love the winters here. We'll be solving our issues by moving back north and snowbirding in Florida. Now does that sound psychotic?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:45 AM

548 posts, read 540,942 times
Quote:
Still making wild assumptions, aye. Not everyone who complains can be lumped together as 'haters' or 'psychotics'. Personally speaking, I think Florida has it's pros and cons as any state. I love the winters here. We'll be solving our issues by moving back north and snowbirding in Florida. Now does that sound psychotic?
Here are some quotes from the original post:

"Florida is the perpetual coffin/gravesite. Too much sunshine makes a desert. There is no hope of rebirth after death. Its reptilian and primitive. I recommend Florida only to those who are disengaged and lazy and for whom watching others mow their lawns make them feel powerful"

I would think Macguy might have be referring to this sort of over the top rhetoric when he used his terminology.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:46 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
No, that sounds like what I was getting at. You need to live your life with variety, that is exactly what I was talking about. It is the comments like "I can't wait to get out of here and never see this ^%&*&# state again". They have far more problems then the humidity and those they can't just run away from.

These people will have problems no matter where they go, they will just look for a different excuse. Today it's Florida, tomorrow it will be Georgia, North Carolina or where ever they go. It will be their boss, their job, the weather, you name it. What it will never be, is their own inability to make a life for themselves, thats the one excuse they will never admit to. The Declaration of Independence says, " and the pursuit of happiness" but I am sorry, nothing about a guarantee. Thats up to us.

Last edited by macguy; 12-17-2007 at 10:53 AM..

Old 12-17-2007, 10:45 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Why is it people moving to Florida are some wonderfully liberated free-thinkers who have finally figured out where paradise is and anyone leaving Florida is a psychotic and unhappy soul that blames the state when they obviously have a serious personality disorder???

Why is it ALWAYS personified this way here???

Old 12-17-2007, 11:35 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times
"Things CHANGE in other places!!! Things never change in Florida. Florida is the perpetual coffin/gravesite. Too much sunshine makes a desert. There is no hope of rebirth after death; no variety of color, or even smells! It always smells like a swamp! It's reptilian and primitive."

This has nothing to do with who comes and who leaves Florida. I agree with Macguy when he said "Florida is just a place." Some will love it and stay; others will hate it and go. However, it is the exaggerations as in the above quote and the blaming of the whole state over the problems in certain areas which make many of us on this forum irritated. Yes, give opinions, suggestions, and info.....but please, keep in mind that no one needs a reminder that Florida isn't perfect. I don't remember anyone ever saying that so keep the over the top generalizations in check....that's all I'm saying.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LushTrees View Post
My daughters were aged 1 and 3. Having to put on snowsuits, mittens, hats, scarves, and then struggling with my own frozen fingers to get their car seats securely buckled over all that bulk -- just to go out for a quart of milk! Connecticut winters just seemed like too much of a hassle...

When hubby got a job offer in Florida, we grabbed the opportunity.

It was actually wonderful (certainly, from a mother's point of view!) for quite a few years. Year round, I was able to wear the little tikes out after full mornings at the beach and/or pool. The sun/water/surf guaranteed that afterwards this mom's little darlings would snooze away the afternoon until dinnertime.

When school commenced, the early morning ritual was easy: modest shorts and tees. Until that point, I was sure that Florida was the best (read: simplest?) place to raise the little ones.

Then came the day when my older (at that time, 2nd grade) daughter came home from school with a note from her teacher: "Please give me a call with regard to you're [sic] daughter." Don't get me wrong: I appreciate communication from teachers, but something happens to the openness of my mind when preparing myself to listen to a teacher who is grammatically challenged.

Oh, that was just the beginning of the revelation of Florida's sub-par educational system. To be fair, there are many great teachers out there, but Florida doesn't seem fond of overly smart educators; after all, they might make the elected school administrators look like jerks...

Both my husband and I were college graduates who never thought twice about our kids going to college -- I mean, it was just a natural thing to do; just like moving on to brush to teeth after having grown some. But let me tell you, this is not the mindset that Florida schools help to echo. The Florida public school system sends a message (and I don't know if this is wittingly or unwittingly) that if you can just manage to graduate highschool, then you've done way more than your part. (Ugh!)

In any event, my kids did manage to graduate from Florida high schools and move on to higher education elsewhere. (And, frankly, at this point, my daughters are free and capable of writing their own recollections/opinions.)

So now that I don't have to worry about bundling babies and toddlers in gobs of clothing just to go out for a quart of milk, I can tell you that I honestly think I made what was an entirely selfish decision on my part to leave the northeast and move to Florida. After all, I thoroughly admit that I left the northeast because it was just too darn cumbersome to dress/undress my babies for even the most minor of outside errands.

And so here I am, still in Florida today. And I hate Florida with every fiber of my being. Nothing ever changes. Can it snow in Connecticut in July? NO. Has is ever snowed in New Jersey in August? NO. Can it be 90 degrees in Florida in Dec, Jan, Feb? YES. In Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul? YES. In Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov? YES.

Things CHANGE in other places!!! Things never change in Florida. Florida is the perpetual coffin/gravesite. Too much sunshine makes a desert. There is no hope of rebirth after death; no variety of color, or even smells! It always smells like a swamp! It's reptilian and primitive.

Florida is a place I will soon say good-bye to, and never, EVER, will set foot in again. I recommend it only to those who are so disengaged and lazy and for whom watching others mowing their lawns makes them feel powerful.
Well, you started off good, but wow - that's some negativity right there! I understand, in a way. I left the Northeast, lived in Florida for many years, and felt the need to get back north, where I am now.
I think it's funny how you say, "I recommend it only to those who are so disengaged and lazy and for whom watching others mowing their lawns makes them feel powerful."

Umm, this kind of sounds like lots of places in Connecticut or Long Island, no?

Old 12-17-2007, 03:04 PM

205 posts, read 989,682 times
LMAO - excellent post. I totally agree with you... I am sure that half of those reading this post will not agree, but I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushTrees View Post
My daughters were aged 1 and 3. Having to put on snowsuits, mittens, hats, scarves, and then struggling with my own frozen fingers to get their car seats securely buckled over all that bulk -- just to go out for a quart of milk! Connecticut winters just seemed like too much of a hassle...

When hubby got a job offer in Florida, we grabbed the opportunity.

It was actually wonderful (certainly, from a mother's point of view!) for quite a few years. Year round, I was able to wear the little tikes out after full mornings at the beach and/or pool. The sun/water/surf guaranteed that afterwards this mom's little darlings would snooze away the afternoon until dinnertime.

When school commenced, the early morning ritual was easy: modest shorts and tees. Until that point, I was sure that Florida was the best (read: simplest?) place to raise the little ones.

Then came the day when my older (at that time, 2nd grade) daughter came home from school with a note from her teacher: "Please give me a call with regard to you're [sic] daughter." Don't get me wrong: I appreciate communication from teachers, but something happens to the openness of my mind when preparing myself to listen to a teacher who is grammatically challenged.

Oh, that was just the beginning of the revelation of Florida's sub-par educational system. To be fair, there are many great teachers out there, but Florida doesn't seem fond of overly smart educators; after all, they might make the elected school administrators look like jerks...

Both my husband and I were college graduates who never thought twice about our kids going to college -- I mean, it was just a natural thing to do; just like moving on to brush to teeth after having grown some. But let me tell you, this is not the mindset that Florida schools help to echo. The Florida public school system sends a message (and I don't know if this is wittingly or unwittingly) that if you can just manage to graduate highschool, then you've done way more than your part. (Ugh!)

In any event, my kids did manage to graduate from Florida high schools and move on to higher education elsewhere. (And, frankly, at this point, my daughters are free and capable of writing their own recollections/opinions.)

So now that I don't have to worry about bundling babies and toddlers in gobs of clothing just to go out for a quart of milk, I can tell you that I honestly think I made what was an entirely selfish decision on my part to leave the northeast and move to Florida. After all, I thoroughly admit that I left the northeast because it was just too darn cumbersome to dress/undress my babies for even the most minor of outside errands.

And so here I am, still in Florida today. And I hate Florida with every fiber of my being. Nothing ever changes. Can it snow in Connecticut in July? NO. Has is ever snowed in New Jersey in August? NO. Can it be 90 degrees in Florida in Dec, Jan, Feb? YES. In Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul? YES. In Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov? YES.

Things CHANGE in other places!!! Things never change in Florida. Florida is the perpetual coffin/gravesite. Too much sunshine makes a desert. There is no hope of rebirth after death; no variety of color, or even smells! It always smells like a swamp! It's reptilian and primitive.

Florida is a place I will soon say good-bye to, and never, EVER, will set foot in again. I recommend it only to those who are so disengaged and lazy and for whom watching others mowing their lawns makes them feel powerful.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:07 PM

205 posts, read 989,682 times
I was SO wondering the same thing. You get bashed on this board for not liking FL. Postings in favor FL, no matter what, are fine. @@

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Why is it people moving to Florida are some wonderfully liberated free-thinkers who have finally figured out where paradise is and anyone leaving Florida is a psychotic and unhappy soul that blames the state when they obviously have a serious personality disorder???

Why is it ALWAYS personified this way here???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida