Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM

18 posts, read 48,969 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Minnesota and we want to find a better place to live with nicer climate then below zero winters. I have listed some requirements below that we are looking for. Also how are the locals in Florida is it going to be easy to meet new friends?

Requirements:

Young families with young kids (very important at the top of the list) We want our kids to be outside playing with other kids. One issue we want to move is everyone hibernates in the winters here.
Good private schools
Near the beach or have a canal with boat.
Has a pool in the neighborhood and golf, restaurants would be nice.
Homes over $1 million.
Want a community where most people live there full time.

Let me know what areas you would recommend. Thanks

Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,412,865 times
Palm Beach County has multiple communities that fit most of what you are looking for.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:35 AM

27,303 posts, read 44,293,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredmedia View Post
We currently live in Minnesota and we want to find a better place to live with nicer climate then below zero winters. I have listed some requirements below that we are looking for. Also how are the locals in Florida is it going to be easy to meet new friends?

Requirements:

Young families with young kids (very important at the top of the list) We want our kids to be outside playing with other kids. One issue we want to move is everyone hibernates in the winters here.
Good private schools
Homes over $1 million.

Adam
The more friendly areas tend to be on the Gulf Coast where many Midwestern transplants wind up (thanks to I-75 I suppose). Your price point will give you many options but in terms of more family-oriented neighborhoods where there are lots of kids out playing, etc as well as plentiful organized youth recreational opportunities I would point you toward Palm Harbor, specifically on the east side of Lake Tarpon in the community of Lansbrook which almost exclusively consists of full-time residents. The local public schools are excellent (all A-rated and considered the best in the Tampa Bay metro) but if you have to go private there's Delphi Academy in Clearwater (a traditional-style prep school) as well as St Cecelia Interparochial and Clearwater Central Catholic HS which have a long standing reputation. Neighboring Oldsmar has a terrific youth recreation program which includes baseball, football, soccer, swimming and even ice hockey for all age groups.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM

24,428 posts, read 27,141,099 times
I disagree about the Gulf being more friendly.

I agree with sky and would recommend parts of South Florida such as Palm Beach Gardens, Delray Beach, and Boca Raton.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

I agree with sky and would recommend parts of South Florida such as Palm Beach Gardens, Delray Beach, and Boca Raton.
It's pretty well-documented that the Gulf side (Tampa Bay area especially) is more friendly and laidback than South Florida..... and not sure where you would get that notion.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,388,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredmedia View Post

Requirements:

Good private schools
Homes over $1 million.

Adam
Brevard County has top notch schools and this is a great community. Plus you are on either a canal or the intercoastal with a large body of water.

You need to understand there are not going to be a LOT of young families with young kids in that price range. It's simple demographics

Lansing Island Homes for Sale, Lansing Island Florida Homes, Lansing Island FL Homes, Homes for Sale in Lansing Island FL

Old 01-03-2014, 11:50 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,045,102 times
Homes have to be over 1million dollars you can look just about anywhere. Give the Bay Point neighborhood of Miami a look.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:12 PM

24,428 posts, read 27,141,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's pretty well-documented that the Gulf side (Tampa Bay area especially) is more friendly and laidback than South Florida..... and not sure where you would get that notion.
The level of friendliness is well-documented?

What are you smoking? You can't measure and document friendliness in stats as if it you are documenting the number of murders each year. To say it is well-documented that the Gulf side is more friendly than South Florida is like saying…

"It's well-documented that North America is more friendly than South America" lol.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The level of friendliness is well-documented?

What are you smoking? You can't measure and document friendliness in stats as if it you are documenting the number of murders each year. To say it is well-documented that the Gulf side is more friendly than South Florida is like saying…

"It's well-documented that North America is more friendly than South America" lol.
Perhaps your perception is a bit skewed given the fact you're in oh I don't know...California??? Let's run a poll on the Florida forum asking which side of the state (Gulf or Atlantic) is friendlier and let's check out the result shall we? As a native of South Florida and long time Florida resident I feel somewhat qualified to state that and in general when factoring in South Florida in particular it's fairly evident what is in fact "friendly" (or not). The OP is moving from the Midwest, not NJ or NY and I can guarantee they won't be feeling the "warm fuzzies" in South Florida.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,388,516 times
Quote:

Dude.... it's a general vibe and I have to agree with Kyle. It is WELL known that south FL has the most road rage and Miami has won that vote several times

Miami drivers have worst road rage - Health - Mental health | NBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida