Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 10:10 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

I've determined that I should make Florida my "permanent residence" due to the tax breaks, but will be living there only half the year (or however long I have to live there to qualify as a permanent resident), as I hope to travel extensively or even own a second home in another region. Am completely confused, after researching various areas, as to which would be best for me, so I hope someone here can point me in the right direction. The following are my criteria:

- Love the white, soft sand, but also the big, rolling waves (you can see my problem already). Gulf or coast, or is there a part of gulf with decent surf?

- Will be only in my 50s, single and childless, so will want some "action." Am into hiking, kayaking, contra and English Country dance, theater, music, history, and art (not so much shopping and dining); would want to be very close to a thriving big city with an international, ideally, airport. No vacation resort in the middle of nowhere will do.

- Also want to be very near or, preferably, ON a great beach. A small condo or one-bedroom beach shack would suffice, and will want and need to rent it out when not there. A property that is already included in an established rental program would be great so I needn't worry about it when not there.

- As a woman alone, will want and need a safe area; no Miami gang/drug scene, thank you!

- Would love to be car-free; a bike or scooter would do me, and public transportation is a must. Necessities (basic grocery and other amenities) nearby are a necessity.

- Must be pet-friendly; need complexes that allow animals and a good dog park or beach.

- Love quirky beach towns like Tybee Island in GA (but lousy surf there); a small, friendly community would be great.

- Finally, as I'll be living on a pension from a low-paying state, must be a relatively inexpensive location; Key West is out.

Finding a place that a) would rent well now - as I plan to buy years before I retire while prices are still relatively low - and b) suit me as a personal residence is proving trickier than I anticipated; the two don't seem to have much in common. If anyone can offer input, I'd appreciate some guidance! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:37 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
What is your budget? And being ON a beach will really cost you, due to high insurance. We can't make recs until we know your budget. I will say that on the Gulf side, Venice might fill the bill, although the population skews pretty old there. However, it is safe, and there are many condos on or near the beach, which is also bikable from the cute downtown.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,506 times
I think you'd have to consider areas outside the US to hit most of your targets. Maybe the Pacific side of Costa Rica.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've determined that I should make Florida my "permanent residence" due to the tax breaks, but will be living there only half the year (or however long I have to live there to qualify as a permanent resident), as I hope to travel extensively or even own a second home in another region. Am completely confused, after researching various areas, as to which would be best for me, so I hope someone here can point me in the right direction. The following are my criteria:

- Love the white, soft sand, but also the big, rolling waves (you can see my problem already). Gulf or coast, or is there a part of gulf with decent surf?

- Will be only in my 50s, single and childless, so will want some "action." Am into hiking, kayaking, contra and English Country dance, theater, music, history, and art (not so much shopping and dining); would want to be very close to a thriving big city with an international, ideally, airport. No vacation resort in the middle of nowhere will do.

- Also want to be very near or, preferably, ON a great beach. A small condo or one-bedroom beach shack would suffice, and will want and need to rent it out when not there. A property that is already included in an established rental program would be great so I needn't worry about it when not there.

- As a woman alone, will want and need a safe area; no Miami gang/drug scene, thank you!

- Would love to be car-free; a bike or scooter would do me, and public transportation is a must. Necessities (basic grocery and other amenities) nearby are a necessity.

- Must be pet-friendly; need complexes that allow animals and a good dog park or beach.

- Love quirky beach towns like Tybee Island in GA (but lousy surf there); a small, friendly community would be great.

- Finally, as I'll be living on a pension from a low-paying state, must be a relatively inexpensive location; Key West is out.

Finding a place that a) would rent well now - as I plan to buy years before I retire while prices are still relatively low - and b) suit me as a personal residence is proving trickier than I anticipated; the two don't seem to have much in common. If anyone can offer input, I'd appreciate some guidance! Thanks.
a. Will be expensive now, have higher taxes so no homestead, higher homeowners ETC. plus it will be worn and old after renting out for years so will have to be gutted when you move down and that will be expensive.

Want a big beach town that is walkable is probably not going to happen. You need a car almost everywhere in Florida because we are spread out-not up.

Want a place that will rent well but not really in a tourist resort area probably won't happen.

If you need surf to be happy than it will basically have to be East because we get more waves than Gulfside but are still known as Lake Atlantic during June and July. But we don't have a lot of beaches with white soft sand.

To Harry: Don't think most of Costa Rica would do well for her either. Prices going up pretty fast as the economy gets better down there, too. Also major airport is about 2 hours from coast. Beaches in central Pacific area have sand almost black and very rocky because of the volcanoes. Haven't been South of Manuel Antonio National Park yet, butit was the only white soft sand I saw in 10 days of a road trip through Costa Rica. Up North about 5 hours is Tamarindo which is close to Liberia airport and sand is lighter there than Jaco area but sort of hard packed like Daytona without the cars with a rocky reef that is exposed during low tides. Waves were not a lot better than here in Florida in May, but they can get to 18 feet or so at times. The best beaches were in little bitty towns that you had to reach on unpaved roads going over 1 lane bridges. You could see the next beach from where you were-maybe a half-1 mile away sometimes but could only walk there if it was low tide. If you drove so you didn't have to worry about getting a boat back, it could take 20-30 minutes of drive way looking roads to get around the bluff etc.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:17 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
To Harry: Don't think most of Costa Rica would do well for her either. Prices going up pretty fast as the economy gets better down there, too. Also major airport is about 2 hours from coast. Beaches in central Pacific area have sand almost black and very rocky because of the volcanoes. Haven't been South of Manuel Antonio National Park yet, butit was the only white soft sand I saw in 10 days of a road trip through Costa Rica. Up North about 5 hours is Tamarindo which is close to Liberia airport and sand is lighter there than Jaco area but sort of hard packed like Daytona without the cars with a rocky reef that is exposed during low tides. Waves were not a lot better than here in Florida in May, but they can get to 18 feet or so at times. The best beaches were in little bitty towns that you had to reach on unpaved roads going over 1 lane bridges. You could see the next beach from where you were-maybe a half-1 mile away sometimes but could only walk there if it was low tide. If you drove so you didn't have to worry about getting a boat back, it could take 20-30 minutes of drive way looking roads to get around the bluff etc.
I was thinking of Flamingo, the only place I've been in CR. It's white sand, decent waves, lots to do, and it's still cheaper than FL. Liberia Airport isn't too far.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:43 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
" .. want to be very near or, preferably, ON a great beach. A small condo or one-bedroom beach shack would suffice,"
AND
"...I'll be living on a pension from a low-paying state, must be a relatively inexpensive location"
----- This is really not do able in any part of FL that is desirable and near amenities ----
AND
"will be living there only half the year "
AND
".. and will want and need to rent it out when not there."
---- This is not likely unless you live here in SUMMER and rent in WINTER ----

AND
"want to be very close to a thriving big city with an international, ideally, airport. "
AND
"Love quirky beach towns ... a small, friendly community "
AND
"love to be car-free; a bike or scooter would do me, and public transportation is a must"

--- RE prices in little charming towns near the beach (Delray ? Jensen Beach??) are on the serious mend.. not sure what your budget is, but i'm from LI and I don't think they are cheap.

I would advise you to rent for a season or three in a couple of differnt locales - east side, west-side - how about NORTH GULF side ? That is unfamiliar turf for me, but may have most of what you want.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida