Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 05:07 AM

296 posts, read 319,492 times

Advertisements

I'm no shrink but it seems a lot on this thread had a common theme, didn't like it here, for this reason or that, then moved back to there. Then same thing happened back there, and moved either here again or another place, then moved back again....happiness is in your heart, so moving all over the place may help but in reality you are moving to escape something that you can't. It's inside of yourself, the happiness you seek.

Look within yourself. I've lived in many places and found reasons to enjoy each and every place I've lived, not reasons I hated or disliked them. I moved for various reasons, job move or just wanting a new experience.

Good luck in looking for your happiness!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 10:56 AM

433 posts, read 1,012,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc3037 View Post
I'm no shrink but it seems a lot on this thread had a common theme, didn't like it here, for this reason or that, then moved back to there. Then same thing happened back there, and moved either here again or another place, then moved back again....happiness is in your heart, so moving all over the place may help but in reality you are moving to escape something that you can't. It's inside of yourself, the happiness you seek.

Look within yourself. I've lived in many places and found reasons to enjoy each and every place I've lived, not reasons I hated or disliked them. I moved for various reasons, job move or just wanting a new experience.

Good luck in looking for your happiness!!!
This sounds like you just watched an episode of doctor Phil or something man.

I mean sure there is some truth to that but let's face it, some places are better than others.

If your single you want options, not to live secluded in the woods. If your poor, you need to be able to afford to live and COL is huge. If your depressed, spending 4 months with no sun getting seasonal depression is probably not that great. Fact is there are a ton of factors that can affect someone's well being factor. For instance I'm in my 30s and am single. Where I am at now most people I know in my situation are waiting to die or are settling for 50 something year olds. Do you think that's the mentality in Florida? Uh no. Not at all. There's differences and those differences can strongly affect the quality of your life.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:54 AM

296 posts, read 319,492 times
Lol Never have seen that guys show but do know about him....I am just speaking from living on this planet for 56 plus years. I'm not saying everyone or everything, just saying some people I personally know do look for happiness from where they live, or from the cars they drive, or house they live in. Of course those things will have an impact on your life....I'm just saying happiness, true happiness, comes from within.

Peace to you Eagle.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:03 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times
It's no secret that there's a general dearth of well-paying industries in the major metropolitan areas of Florida. The few well-paying jobs that do exist are very hard to come by if you don't hold a degree from a highly prestigious national university, have extensive field experience and know the right people because the demand for well-paying jobs in Florida is much greater than the supply.

A former colleague of mine in South Florida has a master's degree in healthcare administration and was making $15/hour as recently as a couple of years ago working in medical records for a third-party company that investigates disability fraud. Another former colleague with the same master's degree was making $16/hour as an assistant office manager at a physician group practice as of a few months ago.

Unfortunately, in Florida, it seemed all too common for people with advanced degrees to be working less-than-desirable jobs with poor career trajectories for menial wages. Consequently, many people turn to shady, dishonest business practices in order to make ends meet and/or achieve their desired lifestyle. To say that doesn't have any affect on the overall culture of the state would be disingenuous at best.

In general, I found people in Florida to highly pessimistic, irritable and cynical; the energy found in most areas of the state is very stale. I think a lot of this has to do with the less-than-desirable employment circumstances of many living in the state coupled with the generally high COL.

Auto insurance, homeowners insurance, utilities, food prices and tolls are more expensive than just about anywhere else in the country. Gasoline was $2.49/gallon at the Mobil station at Camino and Dixie in Boca in mid-January, only $0.10/gallon cheaper than in Long Beach, CA, where I currently live.

The high rates of violent crime; persistent heat and humidity; frequent rainstorms and volatile weather; aggressive, maniacal drivers; and the fact that nearly everyone you meet is from somewhere else originally (leading to very fractured communities) only exacerbate the suffering, IMO.

To this day, my biggest complaints about Florida to this day remain the people and culture. Overall, the culture of the state is just too low-class and lowbrow/anti-intellectual for my tastes. YMMV.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
It's no secret that there's a general dearth of well-paying industries in the major metropolitan areas of Florida. The few well-paying jobs that do exist are very hard to come by if you don't hold a degree from a highly prestigious national university, have extensive field experience and know the right people because the demand for well-paying jobs in Florida is much greater than the supply.

A former colleague of mine in South Florida has a master's degree in healthcare administration and was making $15/hour as recently as a couple of years ago working in medical records for a third-party company that investigates disability fraud. Another former colleague with the same master's degree was making $16/hour as an assistant office manager at a physician group practice as of a few months ago.

Unfortunately, in Florida, it seemed all too common for people with advanced degrees to be working less-than-desirable jobs with poor career trajectories for menial wages. Consequently, many people turn to shady, dishonest business practices in order to make ends meet and/or achieve their desired lifestyle. To say that doesn't have any affect on the overall culture of the state would be disingenuous at best.

In general, I found people in Florida to highly pessimistic, irritable and cynical; the energy found in most areas of the state is very stale. I think a lot of this has to do with the less-than-desirable employment circumstances of many living in the state coupled with the generally high COL.

Auto insurance, homeowners insurance, utilities, food prices and tolls are more expensive than just about anywhere else in the country. Gasoline was $2.49/gallon at the Mobil station at Camino and Dixie in Boca in mid-January, only $0.10/gallon cheaper than in Long Beach, CA, where I currently live.

The high rates of violent crime; persistent heat and humidity; frequent rainstorms and volatile weather; aggressive, maniacal drivers; and the fact that nearly everyone you meet is from somewhere else originally (leading to very fractured communities) only exacerbate the suffering, IMO.

To this day, my biggest complaints about Florida to this day remain the people and culture. Overall, the culture of the state is just too low-class and lowbrow/anti-intellectual for my tastes. YMMV.
This is common in any desirable area to live. So many people want to live there and then wonder why there aren't enough high paying Jobs.

Duh, there is no need for so many high paid employees.

Simple supply and demand controls everything and a College/University degree is no guarantee, nor does a desire to live in a place means you should be able to find a good paying job. You have to make it work, it won't be handed to you.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:34 PM

499 posts, read 586,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This is common in any desirable area to live. So many people want to live there and then wonder why there aren't enough high paying Jobs.

Duh, there is no need for so many high paid employees.

Simple supply and demand controls everything and a College/University degree is no guarantee, nor does a desire to live in a place means you should be able to find a good paying job. You have to make it work, it won't be handed to you.
Agreed - these are also things you should investigate before settling in an area +/or choosing an advanced degree. I've been working in healthcare for over 25 years and it is pretty well known in the industry that a person with a master's degree in healthcare administration is not in demand. Add an advanced nursing degree or an MBA and maybe you'll land something decent. Otherwise, opportunities are fairly limited. Not just in Florida, but in most areas. As a medical practitioner originally from the NE, I can tell you its an entirely different experience here. Opportunities abound, pay is only slightly less (but is offset by the lack of income tax and lower taxes overall), and COL is quite reasonable for the improved QOL. As far as people being "highly pessimistic, irritable and cynical" - that describes to a "T" the hostile and angry environment of the NE. For me, I've experienced the EXACT opposite - people here are positive, friendly, happy, laid-back, and very relaxed.

Low-class, lowbrow and anti-intellectual? I guess it depends on the company you keep. I found the highly-educated, condescending, pompous, egotistical, windbags of the NE utterly unbearable after 40+ years. I would much rather enjoy a simple, nice, light-hearted conversation with a regular 'ol joe over them any day. There is only so much "pontificating" I could stand.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:01 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Agreed - these are also things you should investigate before settling in an area +/or choosing an advanced degree. I've been working in healthcare for over 25 years and it is pretty well known in the industry that a person with a master's degree in healthcare administration is not in demand. Add an advanced nursing degree or an MBA and maybe you'll land something decent. Otherwise, opportunities are fairly limited. Not just in Florida, but in most areas. As a medical practitioner originally from the NE, I can tell you its an entirely different experience here. Opportunities abound, pay is only slightly less (but is offset by the lack of income tax and lower taxes overall), and COL is quite reasonable for the improved QOL. As far as people being "highly pessimistic, irritable and cynical" - that describes to a "T" the hostile and angry environment of the NE. For me, I've experienced the EXACT opposite - people here are positive, friendly, happy, laid-back, and very relaxed.

Low-class, lowbrow and anti-intellectual? I guess it depends on the company you keep. I found the highly-educated, condescending, pompous, egotistical, windbags of the NE utterly unbearable after 40+ years. I would much rather enjoy a simple, nice, light-hearted conversation with a regular 'ol joe over them any day. There is only so much "pontificating" I could stand.
This is why I like you CTtoFL!!

Old 03-15-2016, 12:28 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

LOL, and your first hand experience in Florida is..........?

One can hope you don't live in FL. It would be a shame to have to live in a place for which you hold such low regard.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:37 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

One can hope you don't live in FL. It would be a shame to have to live in a place for which you hold such low regard.

I hear you! Some people are such "Debbie Downers"! Gooooood Lawd!!! LOL

Old 03-15-2016, 12:45 PM

892 posts, read 860,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Bert from Back East says he is from Rhode Island who has since lived in Texas, Arizona, Florida, and now California. He has negative stuff to say about all of them, except his new found home in California.

Give it a couple of years, he will leave from California and begin saying bad stuff about there too. A classic case of someone looking for happiness in his surroundings instead of himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida