Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:18 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Of course, every year we see these ads and every year we have people ask them to stop but they don't listen. Honestly, I think we get the lousy leaders we do because too many people base their vote on these stupid, vapid, commercials that are nothing more than fluff or smoke with zero substance. This latest round from both sides featuring the same campaign donor is the one that pushed me over the top. OK, I get it. Guilt by association and all that but these campaigns would have us believe that both guys are dirty for the same reason! Really? They are like children yelling "He did it!", "No, he did it!", "He did!", "He did!"

This is getting beyond stupid and both sides are setting themselves up for a third party challenger if someone with some class, smarts, and character can generate some media buzz. Maybe it's time.
Did you just notice? Rick Scott has been running negative ads since last November! Crist did not have the funds that Scott had. We all hate them, but for some bizarre reason--they work. I don't know what kind of idiots are swayed by negative ad campaigns, but the reason money talks is because it is dumped into negative campaigns that affect the vote. Even worse--the robocalls--we were getting them day and night when we had a land line. The amount of money spent on negative ads is disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:37 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,307 times
I'll vote for a toothpick before I vote for Charlie Crist, that snake oil salesman.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:51 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,133,501 times
In an educated society, reliance on negative advertising would be a sure way NOT to garner any votes.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:40 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Of course, every year we see these ads and every year we have people ask them to stop but they don't listen. Honestly, I think we get the lousy leaders we do because too many people base their vote on these stupid, vapid, commercials that are nothing more than fluff or smoke with zero substance. This latest round from both sides featuring the same campaign donor is the one that pushed me over the top. OK, I get it. Guilt by association and all that but these campaigns would have us believe that both guys are dirty for the same reason! Really? They are like children yelling "He did it!", "No, he did it!", "He did!", "He did!"

This is getting beyond stupid and both sides are setting themselves up for a third party challenger if someone with some class, smarts, and character can generate some media buzz. Maybe it's time.
I've always thought it was beyond sad that it's assumed that elections should, and will be won by those who can raise the most money for campaigns, instead of those who would do the best job in office by virtue of their experience, political perspectives and taking seriously the interests of ALL their constituents.

I guess this is a commentary not only on the politicians, but on the voters who don't research the candidates but merely rely on those negative ad campaigns before they go to the polls.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:26 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,737,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Did you just notice? Rick Scott has been running negative ads since last November! Crist did not have the funds that Scott had. We all hate them, but for some bizarre reason--they work. I don't know what kind of idiots are swayed by negative ad campaigns, but the reason money talks is because it is dumped into negative campaigns that affect the vote. Even worse--the robocalls--we were getting them day and night when we had a land line. The amount of money spent on negative ads is disgusting.
No, I noticed. I tried to ignore them like always. But this latest round where: a) the Scott campaign complains about former Gov. Crist cozying up to a swindler and making judge appointments in exchange for the swindler's money, being immediately followed by: b) a Crist campaign spot where the Crist people complain that Gov. Scott is in bed with the same swindler to try to make Crist look bad...well, that was about all I could stand. They need to stop! If you read the link I offered, you know what Politifact had to say about the two commercials.

I'm not trying to bash one over the other and I don't mind too much having political ads on TV as long as they are not outrageously false or misleading, as so many are. I'd rather see "I stand for this/This is my position" ads, though, so people who will only rely on party affiliation or what they see in commercials will have something of substance to go by instead of just voting based on so little information as can be found in today's commercials that they are, in effect, political stooges.

I've also just about had it with the Crist commercials trying to rehash the same Scott issues from the last election. Obviously, there was no conviction, the voters made their decision last time, so why rehash it now? It's for the low information voters who will see that and say "He's a crook." Well, I don't think either of them is particularly good at being a governor but the guy is not a crook. How about the commercials focus on their records...period...ok? This is an odd race, no doubt, but we don't need the typical "I'll work for you" and the other guy is a weasel commercials this time around. We have records we can look at and we know who they are. Maybe they both fall flat, maybe you really like one over the other...whatever...I don't want to get into a Scott vs. Crist battle. I just want to stop the crap TV commercials and I really hope someone from the campaigns is paying attention.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,485 times
Ask the candidates and they will tell you that negative campaigning works. That's why they all do it, so what does that tell you about the people?

Old 09-04-2014, 04:53 PM

Yes, I know it works. And, yes, I understand what that means. My point is that positive messages work, too, and I'm appealing to the campaigns to knock off the negative garbage because it makes both of them look bad and it contributes to a more cynical electorate needlessly.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Now go vote for the Libertarian candidate, unless you are a chicken.....cluck cluck cluck.
You're right, It would take guts and a lapse of reason to vote for Wyllie... I'm not seeing ANY true alternative.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:04 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
If there wasn't negative campaign ads, how would anyone know about the Crist relationship with the biggest Ponzi scheme in Florida that Rothstein was running and his influence peddling of judges. [unless you saw it on 'CNBC American Greed.]

Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 PM

Maybe a story in the newspaper or a question during the debate would work just fine. I don't know the true story on all of this but one thing I do know is that anything provided in a negative campaign commercial is the furthest from the truth as it gets. I remember reading a story about Scott's whole Medicare "scam" and the facts were far from the situation portrayed in the ads then and now. That's not to say what they did was OK but, IIRC, it was actually common practice among those providers at the time. Do you ever see people talk about that? No...he's always described as odd looking or as a thief. Now, he is odd looking but that has nothing to do with anything, and the only way the false impression of a thief was put on him was from negative ads that stuck with people who didn't bother to do their own research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida