Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:12 PM

473 posts, read 545,799 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving down to Tampa next summer and my daughter is considering FGCU for the fall of 2015. She also likes USF which we have already visited.

Would really like anyone's thoughts on FGCU.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 02:21 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,080,993 times
While some will diss the regional Florida universities such as FGCU and UNF, the reality is that they've seen quantum leaps in quality of education and facilities provided. FGCU has a 60% acceptance rate, which should speak a bit to it's popularity (UF is at 40% and FSU is at 54%).

Old 09-18-2014, 11:39 AM

103 posts, read 231,197 times
I have a good friend whose son goes there, he's a junior. They're very happy with the school. And it's on my daughter's list of schools but she's only in 8th grade so that can certainly change.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:48 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,662,086 times
Don't waste your money.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Don't waste your money.
Higher education is rarely a waste of money.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:46 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,713,554 times
FGCU is a solid, quality university. The only issue that people have is that there is no history yet. It was founded in the late 90s so it doesn't have that sense of place yet. It doesn't have that extensive alumni network yet, it doesn't have traditions yet, it's new.... It's a great university however.

Any school in the "SUS" (state university system) is going to provide your daughter with a quality education from a regionally accredited university. FGCU being one of them.... Of course UF, FSU, USF, UCF are the popular ones and have been around much longer and have a longer history, etc, however those universities are very competitive to get into these days, especially UF and FSU....even USF and UCF are turning down highly qualified students..... the issue is the sheer number of students applying to these schools. They become very selective. . .

FGCU is a beautiful campus, with amazing facilities that will provide your daughter with a great education, HOWEVER..... it does not have that "ra ra school spirit".....some say it's a bit boring, it's reputation isn't established yet....it's not looked at as a highly selective or competitive school, therefore some ppl may think it's a crap school. .It's reputation in FL is more of a "safety school"..... or a last resort, however given time I'm sure it will be in the same ranks as USF and UCF, etc etc

Old 09-23-2014, 09:56 AM

14,987 posts, read 12,200,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
FGCU is a solid, quality university. The only issue that people have is that there is no history yet. It was founded in the late 90s so it doesn't have that sense of place yet. It doesn't have that extensive alumni network yet, it doesn't have traditions yet, it's new.... It's a great university however.

Any school in the "SUS" (state university system) is going to provide your daughter with a quality education from a regionally accredited university. FGCU being one of them.... Of course UF, FSU, USF, UCF are the popular ones and have been around much longer and have a longer history, etc, however those universities are very competitive to get into these days, especially UF and FSU....even USF and UCF are turning down highly qualified students..... the issue is the sheer number of students applying to these schools. They become very selective. . .

FGCU is a beautiful campus, with amazing facilities that will provide your daughter with a great education, HOWEVER..... it does not have that "ra ra school spirit".....some say it's a bit boring, it's reputation isn't established yet....it's not looked at as a highly selective or competitive school, therefore some ppl may think it's a crap school. .It's reputation in FL is more of a "safety school"..... or a last resort, however given time I'm sure it will be in the same ranks as USF and UCF, etc etc
FGCU may be more of a commuter school than some of the other state universities. I know there are dorms there, but as you mention, being relatively new, and likely attended more by local students who commute, the school spirit may be a work in progress right now.

I know that was the way it was with FIU back in the 70's and 80's, before there were student resident halls there, and most of the students were locals who commuted back and forth to their classes.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
FGCU is a beautiful campus, with amazing facilities that will provide your daughter with a great education, HOWEVER..... it does not have that "ra ra school spirit".....some say it's a bit boring, it's reputation isn't established yet....it's not looked at as a highly selective or competitive school, therefore some ppl may think it's a crap school. It's reputation in FL is more of a "safety school"..... or a last resort, however given time I'm sure it will be in the same ranks as USF and UCF, etc etc
Actually that's changed, probably due in part to the men's basketball team's run to the Sweet Sixteen a few years ago and increased awareness of FGCU as a result. The current acceptance rate is 60% which is far from "safety school" numbers.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,713,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually that's changed, probably due in part to the men's basketball team's run to the Sweet Sixteen a few years ago and increased awareness of FGCU as a result. The current acceptance rate is 60% which is far from "safety school" numbers.
Well, being that I work in college counseling office at a high school in Miami.....all my students and throughout southeast FL look at FGCU as a safety school when compared to UF, FSU, USF, and UCF. Even FIU....

They admit anyone with a 2.6 or higher... 19 ACT 950 SAT. It's very numbers driven. It's as simple as that.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:50 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,662,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Higher education is rarely a waste of money.
I was referring to FGCU, not higher education in general.

I have a master's degree, FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: