Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:57 PM

786 posts, read 1,371,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Although the driving scenery will eat 2 days of your trip, I still personally would find going to the Florida Keys worth it, as it is the ultimate in kayaking, fishing, and scenic outdoor life. It would be quite an adventure if you've never bee here. But this is really short notice, so it might be hard to find a spot to part the camper. You could try calling Kings Kamp or other RV parks in the Upper Keys to see if they have openings. The ultimate experience would be if John Pennekamp or one of the other state parks has a cancellation and can fit you into their camping spots. Clear, calm kayaking, snorkeling, etc. for miles (especially on the Gulf side), and a huge fishing community, including guides if you'd like to take one with you. The outdoor stuff is plentiful in the Upper Keys, so you don't need to drive all the way through them if you don't have time for that. If you want to find really remote areas, you can head further down to some of the Lower Keys that have a bit more rural vibe, or hike out in the state parks. The Keys are not the cheapest option, but depending on what you like they might be the most fun and exciting.

It's a bit of a drive, but if you like the road-tripping part, listening to music and watching all the sights go by that are new to you, that part can be just as fun as the camping part. Like with any road trip, make sure your spare and emergency tools are ready to minimize time lost if you blow a tire.

Make sure you post your eventual decision and how the trip went! There are lots of people in your situation, with a last-minute break and a big decision to make! Once when I lived in NYC I got a day off I wasn't expecting and drove down to Ocean City, MD because it was the farthest, warmest ocean location I could make it to. I was only there for half a day, and didn't get back until 2AM on a work night, but I had a great time and it felt like an adventure, a real trip and not just a day trip. I made it to town an hour before sunset, and it was stunning. Hung out on the beach, then went to what is supposed to be their best restaurant, and had a fabulous time. I made the decision only 2 hours before I left. That's not everybody's style, but I love road trips, so it worked for me. Depends on what you feel is the best way to use your free time!
Hey, thanks for this. You got a good spirit for adventure. I used to be like that years ago before marriage, family and divorce but now time to recapture it. Again, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 07:05 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,915,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Hey, thanks for this. You got a good spirit for adventure. I used to be like that years ago before marriage, family and divorce but now time to recapture it. Again, thanks
Enjoy your trip! And don't let anything suck the life out of you - especially life!

Old 10-09-2014, 06:06 AM

2,438 posts, read 3,013,857 times
It's Thursday! Where are you headed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida