Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you vote on The Florida Medical Marijuana Amendment
I am for it. 47 72.31%
I am against it. 14 21.54%
Undecided at this time. 4 6.15%
Don't care. 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 05:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

I have to wonder if it was written the way it was to encourage it's failure but just to make the writers and supporters look good to their constituents.
Anything for the votes, you know.
(Know I am sympathetic to those that would benefit. My daughter has tried to exist on morphine for over 10 years and would smoke illegally if mandatory urine tests wouldn't cause her to lose the morphine)

Old 10-31-2014, 09:14 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,898,550 times
Putting an Amendment in would not make Florida as a state any worse than it is now. It would offer hope to a lot of people, and likely save some lives - particularly with respect to children with severe seizure disorders. We already have a very bad pill mill problem, the jails are full, we waste lots of money on enforcement of small things, and we allow many drugs which are far more dangerous, and WAY more addictive, to be prescribed all the time. The potential benefit of adding the amendment is FAR greater than the potential harm - people have forgotten compassion and real life concerns to have lost sight of that. Amendments can always be repealed - they have been before in this country. But giving something a shot can save lives and also make the state a great deal of money in taxes that we really need, so it is worth the risk to try it. People are being very short-sighted. So far, this has worked well in many other states - and we are talking about medical use here, while other states have even legalized even recreational use and have not devolved into chaos the way the people against it predicted. Alcohol is legal, and it kills so many people every year - medical marijuana does not kill people.

We already have 50% in favor vs. 42% against, even according to the stupid and scientifically very skewed poll. We are in the majority. Get out and VOTE, and it really has a good chance of passing. Even if it loses by a small margin, that will be enough for the issue to be raised again in the future, although not before at least another 4 years probably. We are already behind so many other states that allow it for medicinal use. No one is saying we have to take the step to make it recreationally legal. Just open the doorway for the many severely ill people in this state to have another opportunity for hope. There is no good reason to let people die and suffer in excruciating pain for years over a drug that is not addictive and has far fewer serious side effects than the majority of psychiatric, pain, and sleep drugs already available for medicinal use.

I may not use it, but I will certainly fight for the right for others to have that choice with their doctors.

If you can get Ambien, Codeine, and Oxycontin from your doctor, and then go home and drink as much alcohol as you care to buy, and you can get Lithium (which can kill you) and Topamax (which erases your memory) without even a single blood test to prove you have a psychiatric condition that requires it, then you should be able to get a non-hallucinogenic CBD form of marijuana oil.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:12 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I've mentioned that I'm a new comer to Fl so needing to do a lot of catching up .
I would gather I've over estimated the usefulness of the Charlotte's Web law that will go into effect anyway?
Anybody clarify for me, the limitations?
At this point I'll probably vote for it to insure that more people that could benefit will have access and just so it could potentially lead to decriminalization.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:11 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
There's talks that it's never gonna pass and the people will vote against it. Several organizations have said the whole medical marijuana thing is over. They lost....never gonna pass..
I don't know who the "several organizations" are or what "talk" you've heard but you're right about one thing - if Amendment 2 fails and without a tectonic shift in the makeup of the Legislature, medical marijuana will NEVER happen in Florida. If anyone is waiting for the clods in Tallahassee to EVER take up a comprehensive Medical Marijuana bill, they can just forget about it.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
Why do we have to vote for the use of medical marijuana. When was the last time I was given the privilege of being able to approve the use of a drug and not the FDA. Isn't the FDA the agency responsible for testing and approving drugs for medical use. There is obviously more behind all of this. The FDA could simply approve the use of marijuana for medical purposes only just like morphine and countless other drugs that also have other uses and are frequently abused of.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:26 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
God created the plant, man has no right to make a plant illegal. PERIOD! Smoking pot is stupid in my opinion. However, alcohol is toxic yet legal is is not? All drugs should be legal to manufacture or possess What should be regulated is use. That is how we handle tobacco and alcohol. I vote yes on anything that gives us more freedom from Big Brother's police state. Drug laws have been the main way your freedoms have been taken away.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:47 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Heroin is a plant derivative as well.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:13 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
God created the plant, man has no right to make a plant illegal. PERIOD! Smoking pot is stupid in my opinion. However, alcohol is toxic yet legal is is not? All drugs should be legal to manufacture or possess What should be regulated is use. That is how we handle tobacco and alcohol. I vote yes on anything that gives us more freedom from Big Brother's police state. Drug laws have been the main way your freedoms have been taken away.
The difference between alcohol and marijuana is that marijuana reeks. And you can smell it from very long distances. I don't want to live in a society that allows such poison into the air of others.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Drugs should be legal to manufacture as long as they have been studied and tested, and found to be safe. The last thing you want is for unsafe drugs that can cause death, birth defects, cancer and countless other things to hit the market. Use should be regulated even though some could say that is an infringement on their freedoms.

Last edited by straight shooter; 11-01-2014 at 11:43 PM..

Old 11-01-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
The difference between alcohol and marijuana is that marijuana reeks. And you can smell it from very long distances. I don't want to live in a society that allows such poison into the air of others.
You bring up a point that I seldom hear about but have thought about myself. People including kids could get high if they are near someone that is smoking pot. The wind could also disperse it. With alcohol that is obviously not an issue.

Another thing to think about is the number of people driving under the influence of alcohol, soon you will have to add the people driving under the influence of marijuana into the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida