Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like living in Florida?
I’ve lived here for most of my life, and I like it 17 19.32%
I’ve lived here for most of my life, but I dislike it 13 14.77%
I’ve moved here, and I like it 46 52.27%
I’ve moved here, but I dislike it 12 13.64%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:00 AM

173 posts, read 220,189 times

Advertisements

How come I always see these kind of post on the FLA boards and no other state? Pretty much the same posters will reply with the same answers! Florida is Hot whoever moves to FLA and complains is hot might need a little of common sense training if they have that kind of training and its because of lack of job well that's pretty much the whole country not just FLA and people are just people you have the nice and you have the jerks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 10:23 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx10461 View Post
How come I always see these kind of post on the FLA boards and no other state?
Probably because of the uniqueness of FL.

A lot of people get caught up in some kind of dreamworld where they see FL as this magical place where all is good all the time, the beaches are great, people are out blowing bubbles and skipping down the street. They see sunshine and sunsets.

They move here and find out that it is the same as anywhere else. Work, shopping, cooking, cleaning. Day to day life. They also suddenly realize that in the south it gets hot. They suddenly realize that there is no winter here like it was back home. It stays warm all the time (except for cold fronts). They realize they miss snow in Christmas season. They realize that the people the knew most of their lives dont live here. They miss their local supermarket.

Then they become very resentful. Their sunshine and rainbow dreams turn into reality.
They learn to loathe every minute in FL and all they think of going back to where they came from because the reality of FL is nothing like their dreamworld FL. They feel they were mislead, conned an taken advantage of by everything in FL. They decide the doctors are not good, the supermarkets are lousy, there are too many old people, people dont know how to drive, the heat, the humidity, they find that people really dont care to meet them or befriend them. They get paranoid and think that everybody is out to screw them over, they develop a sense that FL is a "dump" filled with criminals, crime, drugs and poverty. This leads to a very unhappy person.

By the time they realize they havent landed in dreamland it is too late. How could they return home after complaining for years how lousy it was there and how they couldnt wait to get out of there and go to FL.
How do they explain to everyone that they made a mistake? They cant get their old jobs back,. a lot of them burned bridges leaving Hometown, USA. That puts these folks in quite a situation.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:40 AM

153 posts, read 357,955 times
We've been here for 16 years and absolutely love it! After spending the first part of our lives living up north, we can honestly say that Florida is not a bad place at all to raise a family or have a career in a in-demand, professional field.

We live within a 5 minute walk to my work, a mile walk from our childrens school plus my wife is only a 6 - 7 minute drive to her work. We live in an awesome gated community with great neighbors, a community pool and ten similiar aged kids outside every evening playing together, fishing, riding bikes ... all together until dark without the worry of them disappearing.

People will try to tell you that FL is not a family values state but its what you make of it and who you surround yourself with. Sure, there are other places in the country that may be more of this and less of that, but I really couldn't care as Florida has been a great place for us to raise our adventurous family of five.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-28-2014 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: advertising is not allowed

Old 10-10-2014, 10:55 AM

173 posts, read 220,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Probably because of the uniqueness of FL.

A lot of people get caught up in some kind of dreamworld where they see FL as this magical place where all is good all the time, the beaches are great, people are out blowing bubbles and skipping down the street. They see sunshine and sunsets.

They move here and find out that it is the same as anywhere else. Work, shopping, cooking, cleaning. Day to day life. They also suddenly realize that in the south it gets hot. They suddenly realize that there is no winter here like it was back home. It stays warm all the time (except for cold fronts). They realize they miss snow in Christmas season. They realize that the people the knew most of their lives dont live here. They miss their local supermarket.

Then they become very resentful. Their sunshine and rainbow dreams turn into reality.
They learn to loathe every minute in FL and all they think of going back to where they came from because the reality of FL is nothing like their dreamworld FL. They feel they were mislead, conned an taken advantage of by everything in FL. They decide the doctors are not good, the supermarkets are lousy, there are too many old people, people dont know how to drive, the heat, the humidity, they find that people really dont care to meet them or befriend them. They get paranoid and think that everybody is out to screw them over, they develop a sense that FL is a "dump" filled with criminals, crime, drugs and poverty. This leads to a very unhappy person.

By the time they realize they havent landed in dreamland it is too late. How could they return home after complaining for years how lousy it was there and how they couldnt wait to get out of there and go to FL.
How do they explain to everyone that they made a mistake? They cant get their old jobs back,. a lot of them burned bridges leaving Hometown, USA. That puts these folks in quite a situation.
HOLD THE PHONE! you are telling me people are not skipping down the street blowing bubbles? OK like my 2 yr old says ALL Done I am no longer taking my vacation down there or move there lol

Old 10-10-2014, 12:46 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx10461 View Post
HOLD THE PHONE! you are telling me people are not skipping down the street blowing bubbles? OK like my 2 yr old says ALL Done I am no longer taking my vacation down there or move there lol
Well, some people do skip down the street blowing bubbles, but they are usually the stonies.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Florida?Nice place to visit for a couple of weeks mid winter..

Old 10-10-2014, 02:36 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
My relationship with Florida is a love-hate relationship.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:39 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
In the winter, the Panhandle is like living in South Georgia or Alabama, while Central Florida averages 15-20-degrees warmer (and South Florida, about 15-30-degrees warmer).
This is pretty true. I know Tallahassee has similar weather as Savannah does during the winter. Savannah averages slightly lower temps during the daytime, but both cities lie on roughly the same USDA plant hardiness zones.

As for Florida itself, I've never actually lived there, but I did have grandparents who lived down in Polk County and I would visit them often at all times of the year. Frankly I could not see myself living there. If I did move to Florida, it would probably be the panhandle because it has the least amount of snowbirds.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:18 PM

26 posts, read 32,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
My relationship with Florida is a love-hate relationship.
I'm the same way, I loved what it was in the 80's and 90's, I hate what it was in the 00's, and today.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:38 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Florida?Nice place to visit for a couple of weeks mid winter..
And again in summer. All year I look forward to seabreeze thunderstorms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida