Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,441 times

Advertisements

OK, granted this is now true for the entire state of FL - as of Tues., Jan. 6th, 2015, clerks have been ordered by the Feds that they are required by the federal Constitution to issue marriage licenses to any adult who requests them, regardless of the sex of each applicant.

But here in the Keys, we had one of the first cases to challenge the state ban on a federal level, and generally speaking the entire county has been enthusiastically supporting this couple getting their right to marry as soon as possible. To my knowledge, they will be the first ones married in Key West, after waiting several years for the right to do so.

If you're looking to take a vacation and get married in the tropics, the Keys are a great place to do so, because nobody really cares what your background is, your skin tone, your personal relationship... all of that is just part of how you fit into the local motto "One Human Family." No clerk here will begrudgingly hand you a license, or oppose federal law and refuse you. In fact, the clerk in Key West was so excited to be legally allowed to issue these licenses and not to have to turn anyone away anymore, that she cancelled a cruise she had scheduled just to be here to be the first one to hand them out equally. Hotels are supportive, so you can have a wedding (and/or honeymoon) anywhere here and people will welcome you and your families and friends. You don't have to go to a gay-specific hotel in the Keys, you can go to any one you like all up and down the islands from Key Largo to Key West, and you will be treated well.

This is a great move for business in Florida - because clearly lots of people want to get engaged, married, and honeymoon down here. In the Florida Keys/Monroe County, you can not only do so legally as a same sex couple, but you can feel safe and welcomed being out at your hotel, at restaurants, on a sunset cruise, on a diving tour, at the grocery store - really anywhere. And let's be real - we are the only county in FL with a fully tropical climate, with more coconuts than we know what to do with, and the 3rd largest coral reef in the world right off our coast. It may not always be blistering hot here, but we are the only county in the state that never has freezing temperatures - no matter when you come down, you are guaranteed weather above freezing (and usually, above 60)! There are a million and one things to do here, from helicopter rides over the islands, to snorkeling, to checking out museums of local history, hiking through tropical hammock in state parks, and sampling some amazing key lime pie! And yeah, there's also plenty of partying to be had, as well as tons of quirky shops, artist communities to shop, the Everglades, as well as endless water sports, boating, fishing, and even a few beaches to chill out on.

As we've mentioned in a few other threads, just please be sure to book with a real hotel, campground, or RV site, or to rent through a legitimate real estate agent. There are affordable ways to come down to the Keys, including staying in a motel in Florida City and driving down during the days - please don't try to rent from a resident on a vacation rental site, as nearly 100% of them are either illegal or scams.

The Florida Keys welcomes you exactly as you are!

One Human Family: http://www.onehumanfamily.info/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 11:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I'd say that is totally true for Key West but I am not so brazen to think that the motto applies to ALL the Keys.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:04 AM

434 posts, read 530,279 times
Sorry, but airfare's cheaper to Tampa.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:36 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Oh, not just this. To quote my daughter who lives in NY, "So now when my wife and I come down there to see you, we will be considered married in Florida ALSO".

Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'd say that is totally true for Key West but I am not so brazen to think that the motto applies to ALL the Keys.
What makes you say this? I live in the Upper Keys, and I would say this is absolutely true for all Keys. No location on Earth has 100% of the people ardently supporting any cause or any group of people, but there can be no doubt that gay people live here in peace. I see openly gay couples at the grocery store, in communities, and out and about everywhere up here in the Upper Keys, in Marathon, and in the Lower Keys, and I have never seen or even heard about blatant discrimination or violence toward any lesbian, bi, or gay person. You will also see people openly declaring their sexuality all over craigslist in looking for a rental, or in being the owner renting out, and many others clearly stating that they do not care if the person they room with is LGBTQ, and so one can certainly glean that there is no need for fear.

Key West may have more of a gay-only culture in terms of some hotels and activities, but the Upper Keys as well as the rest are thoroughly integrated, and no one cares. I was having this discussion with another resident recently, and he was commenting that up here, gay people belong to EVERY club - they're just not gay-exclusive clubs. There are gay chamber of commerce and business board members, gay church and synagogue members, gay paddleboard club members, gay hotel staff, gay yoga class members - there are LGBTQ people who are out and open in pretty much every facet of life here, and they blend right in because no one cares. I thought he had a pretty interesting perspective on it - he said there are no visible gay-specific clubs or spots for gay people up here because people are so accepted they don't feel a need. I don't know that that's entirely true, because everyone likes to hang with people who relate to them on a specific level once in a while, but his sense was that LGBTQ folk down here feel like they relate more to people on a fishing, drinking, snorkeling, or fitness level because they are not really dealing with active discrimination, and their gayness is not as major a factor in their lives as their love of the water! Case in point, a lesbian couple just moved in to a newly built house next to me, and no one on the street mentioned it. Instead, everyone was talking about what color they chose for their house, whether or not they're interested in boating, and what plants they might decide to plant in their yard. Everyone just wanted to know if they are nice people, if they'll make good new friends - no one cared at all that they're gay.

Compared to most other places in the country, I would say that makes the Keys from Key Largo down to Big Pine very LGBTQ friendly. Not to mention, businesses are very excited to welcome LGBTQ tourists down here for weddings, honeymoons, family visits, and whatever else may come up. The days for bathhouses and secret lesbian clubs are ending, because people no longer need to hide and be separate from the rest of society out of fear. Gay folk are becoming accepted as just like everybody else. And the Keys have a much longer history than most places in the country - and certainly nearly everywhere else in FL! - of being accepting of LGBTQ folk. We don't need to be forced by the law to recognize same sex couples - the vast majority of people here already do!

As for the motto One Human Family in general, the same would apply to nearly everything. I have found the Keys to be generally speaking not racist, nor discriminatory of pretty much any difference a person may have. Your main troubles would be in coming down here as a Rude Person, or an Anti-Environment Person, or an Anti-Animal Person. These types of people may encounter some discrimination from locals. (For instance, a guy was caught this year having shot a dog, tied its jaw and legs together with duct tape, and left it bleeding and alive in a dumpster. It was found and had to be put down. The kind of comments from locals made it very clear that this guy would not be safe in a crowd here.) But aside from that, pretty much no one cares what you do, what you look like, how much money you have, or who you are on any level. Treat your neighbor with respect and they will be bending over backwards here to help you out if you ever need a hand.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:42 PM

125 posts, read 159,041 times
So, gay marriage in legal in FL for sure now?

Old 01-03-2015, 06:49 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I doubt it will be a permanent thing though. Let's hope homosexuals can get the legal rights and responsibilities they deserve. Anyone wo opposes gay marriage should join the Westboro Baptist Church.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS1989 View Post
So, gay marriage in legal in FL for sure now?
According to the federal court, the answer is YES as of Jan. 6, 2015. There was confusion, and then the court clarified their decision, specifically citing that clerks in FL are bound by the Constitution to provide marriage licenses to any adult who asks for them. The clerks' union then consulted their lawyers and put out a recommendation to all clerks in FL to commence marrying all adults who request it beginning Jan 6, regardless of the sex of the partners involved, or risk being sued due to violation of the federal court's decision regarding FL's compliance.

There are already several same sex marriages scheduled in Monroe County, FL, beginning the morning of Jan 6, and apparently the local office is looking forward to marrying their first cases.

So it will definitely be happening, and there is nothing else anyone can do to stop it. The requested delays have been denied by the higher court. At this point, even if there was an attempt in future to overturn gay marriage in FL, it is unlikely to last for long, as there is far too much precedent for unlawful discrimination already established in courts all over the nation, as well as with the Supreme Court. A few states remain, and apparently it is being put to the Supreme Court to decide once and for all if it is legal for ANY state to have a ban on marriage between two consenting adult tax payers. (As of now, of course, the only decision that has been made has been regarding whether the federal government can continue to not recognize same sex marriages for tax and federal benefit purposes, and that was deemed unconstitutional.) But that is probably a while off yet. It's pretty unlikely that all of this will be reversed, as same sex marriage is now legal in 35 states, and has court cases pending in the others. Florida has no more grounds to reverse than any other state has had, and given the firm decision of the higher court, there is really no loophole to use to change it. It has already been declared on a federal level as discrimination, so there is no way to go back on a lower level now and say that it's not. There is overwhelming financial evidence that it is, in fact, discriminatory to give one group of tax payers significant tax advantage over another based purely on a biological difference. Added to this, with every year there are more and more people adding to the clear majority in this country who just don't give a crap about your personal life, who support recognizing same sex marriage as equal with opposite sex marriage.

Of course, it is still legal in FL (as in multiple other states) to fire someone over their sexual orientation, and that needs a clear legal challenge the same way the same sex marriage ban was challenged - there is no question that is discriminatory and in violation of the federal Constitution. It is sickening how long this has been in coming, given have obvious it is that such a practice is in violation of Civil Rights, and all moral and common sense. We still have a long way to go in this state to catch up to others regarding fair treatment and equal protection of our citizens.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:49 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
***MOD CUT***

Civil marriage is whatever civil law states it to be. That's it. Period.

It's not a matter of belief or opinion, but just an ability to comprehend what the current state of the law.

Refusing to accept this very simple fact is nothing more than the equivalent of closing your eyes, sticking your fingers in your ears, and chanting "Na, na, na, na, I can't hear you!".

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-11-2015 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 01-06-2015, 06:22 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Civil marriage is whatever civil law states it to be. That's it. Period.

It's not a matter of belief or opinion, but just an ability to comprehend what the current state of the law.

Refusing to accept this very simple fact is nothing more than the equivalent of closing your eyes, sticking your fingers in your ears, and chanting "Na, na, na, na, I can't hear you!".

Oh the religious fanatics up here in the panhandle are going nuts over this, a couple of clerks threatening to stop performing marriages altogether....

Clerks Ready To Issue Same-Sex Marriage Licenses, Including In Century And Pensacola : NorthEscambia.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida