Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 09:25 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

NY State in total has around 19.5 million people living in 47,000 square miles of land and NYC has a population of about 8.5 million living in about 305 sq miles of land so it is densely populated.

As many as 800 languages are spoken in New York City making it the most linguistically diverse city in the world. Approximately 37% of the city's population is foreign born and earlier in the mid 20th century that figure was much higher. So there aren't any "typical" NY City residents.

Most of the NY/NJ people in FL are "old school" born to and raised by 1st and 2nd generation immigrants from Europe. We were raised to be very competitive. Most of us boomers and a generation or two before grew up in very crowded, busy and ethnically and economically diverse areas and living under those conditions requires a person to be on the top of their game to be sure that they and their families lived as well as possible. Getting a seat in a subway car is an excellent example of the competitive nature of New York city residents. Moving from NYC to NJ was a step up as they were able to live the suburban lifestyle and the same thing happened on Long Island and other parts of the metro area.

When we move away from the NYC area we do not loose our edge and we keep our very unique habits.
Obviously the rest of the U.S., especially in the Southeast do not understand this because they mostly came from lives with very narrow life exposures where everybody was about the same and lived the same lifestyle and never really had to compete with other nationalities, religions and races. That is why some of Northeasterners think that Southern raised people are dim-witted, slow and uninformed.

You had to have a certain "roughness" to succeed in NYC and the entire metro area. Its something we figured out early in life. On the streets, in school and in our careers. We don't loose that.

Many many famous people were born and raised in NYC. http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...s/nyfamous.htm. My Brooklyn high school produced many notables http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-er...ents/reference

FL can't touch that but it doesn't make it any better or worse than anywhere else but FL is unique within its self and I am very happy making it my home.

Also we do not use racial, slang or ethnic terms to describe others. That's not being harmonious as we were taught to be.

Last edited by Spring Hillian; 12-25-2015 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 02:45 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
NY State in total has around 19.5 million people living in 47,000 square miles of land and NYC has a population of about 8.5 million living in about 305 sq miles of land so it is densely populated.

As many as 800 languages are spoken in New York City making it the most linguistically diverse city in the world. Approximately 37% of the city's population is foreign born and earlier in the mid 20th century that figure was much higher. So there aren't any "typical" NY City residents.

Most of the NY/NJ people in FL are "old school" born to and raised by 1st and 2nd generation immigrants from Europe. We were raised to be very competitive. Most of us boomers and a generation or two before grew up in very crowded, busy and ethnically and economically diverse areas and living under those conditions requires a person to be on the top of their game to be sure that they and their families lived as well as possible. Getting a seat in a subway car is an excellent example of the competitive nature of New York city residents. Moving from NYC to NJ was a step up as they were able to live the suburban lifestyle and the same thing happened on Long Island and other parts of the metro area.

When we move away from the NYC area we do not loose our edge and we keep our very unique habits.
Obviously the rest of the U.S., especially in the Southeast do not understand this because they mostly came from lives with very narrow life exposures where everybody was about the same and lived the same lifestyle and never really had to compete with other nationalities, religions and races. That is why some of Northeasterners think that Southern raised people are dim-witted, slow and uninformed.

You had to have a certain "roughness" to succeed in NYC and the entire metro area. Its something we figured out early in life. On the streets, in school and in our careers. We don't loose that.

Many many famous people were born and raised in NYC. Famous People From New York, Famous Natives Sons - Worldatlas.com. My Brooklyn high school produced many notables Famous Alumni of Erasmus Hall High School | Celebrities Who Graduated/Went to Erasmus Hall High School

FL can't touch that but it doesn't make it any better or worse than anywhere else but FL is unique within its self and I am very happy making it my home.

Also we do not use racial, slang or ethnic terms to describe others. That's not being harmonious as we were taught to be.
you wrote all that and just insulted southern people as being slow and uninformed, lol and fits in with the negative stereotype of yankees as rude and having bad manners. there are also stereotypes of ny/new jersey people as rude,vulgar, lower middle class -Jersey shore type of stuff, stereotypes work both ways.

people should just try and get along, alot more unites them as americans than separates them

Old 12-25-2015, 02:56 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
I suppose being pushy, rude and aggressive and only interested in money, sorry, "succeeding" can always be painted with in a positive light.

It's like this: "I drove my car with NY state license plates aggressively on the highway down in Florida, flipped the southern slowpokes off 'cause I was in a hurry and well, they were just too slow, but they don't understand (too dumb?) that this is how we do it in NY city and Jersey 'cause whoever gets to their destination first is the most competitive and wins and feeds his family better".

Instead of coming to Florida and adapting to the Florida culture - you choose to find an excuse and tell everyone else to just live with it. Ok.

Last edited by ognend; 12-25-2015 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-25-2015, 03:36 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
I dont buy the whole having to be rude and have poor manners to live in an urban environment or on trains either. I traveled through asia for three years for business and people are not pushy and loud and rude at all, exact opposite, that kind of behavior is frowned upon as horrible for a civilized city in Asia, much more disciplined culture .That kind of rude behavior isnt true in europe either

that is why japan and korea and Singapore and increasingly parts of china have amazing clean mass transit that runs on time, low crime and nice cities and a much more disciplined urban culture. This is true in munich and so much of europe as well

Compare that to american cities. I travel through the northeast quite alot and traveling on trains through much of the northeast corridor is just so slow compared to europe and asia, just old and poor infrastructure all over the northeast corridor, the cities are ,for the most part, just depressing

Old 12-25-2015, 03:46 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,799 times
Pretty much sums up why most people outside of New York and Boston hate people from New York and Boston.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Good and bad in all States. What is really bad is when someone moves to another State because they want to live there and enjoy what it has to offer and then denigrates those who live there as though the new comers know better how to .... well are they making it better or worse with that attitude.

A very long time ago it was said when in Rome does as Romans do. When moving to Fl or anywhere don't assume you are more successful and wiser and have better intelligence. Change instead so YOU fit in, not demand that the others change. Thinking you have a better grip usually is an indication of a lack of intelligence and a lot of way over inflated ego.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:15 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,338 times
New Yorkers, just like people from anywhere else, are individuals.

Some will aggressively push through people who are closer to a subway seat that's just opened up in order to get to it first. But others (even when tired after a long day and with a long commute home still ahead of them) will offer their own seat to someone who obviously needs it more.

Considering that different people in the same place can run that wide of a gamut, you can't have meaningful knowledge of a particular person solely by knowing that they're from a certain place (New York or anywhere else).

Old 12-25-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
you wrote all that and just insulted southern people as being slow and uninformed, lol and fits in with the negative stereotype of yankees as rude and having bad manners. there are also stereotypes of ny/new jersey people as rude,vulgar, lower middle class -Jersey shore type of stuff, stereotypes work both ways.

people should just try and get along, alot more unites them as americans than separates them
"That is why some of Northeasterners think that Southern raised people are dim-witted, slow and uninformed."

Read it again. SOME. Personally I have no prejudice towards any one from any where. We are all people.

When someone used the word "guido" to describe NY transplants in Florida in another thread I told the poster that I felt personally insulted as it's a slang term used against people of Italian descent. In response I was told "if the shoe fits". Yep, good ole Southern hospitality at it's best.

"Springhill where it is filled with his type of people as well and it is also facing what west Pasco has around 12 years ago. It is just about 10 years behind west Pasco as that area built up in the early 80's. So that area is now left with the kids and grandkids that are drugged out and bad renters. "

"HIS type of people" obviously refers to those from the Northeast. Very friendly attitude, eh?

" 'Cause they are (very visible) - in their mannerisms, behaviors, habits etc. Not all of them but quite a few...."

So that is how Southern people such as yourself describe Northeastern transplants? Or are you a poser perpetuating such understanding?

"yankees as rude and having bad manners. there are also stereotypes of ny/new jersey people as rude,vulgar, lower middle class -Jersey shore type of stuff, "

Poser or Southerner?

I have never heard a NY/NJ person describe a Floridian as a "cracker" however the word "yankee" is thrown out by Southerners on a regular basis. Ive never heard a NY/NJ transplant state that all Southerners are white trash and live in trailers but people who fit that stereotype surely exist.

I am sure you've never spent a day in your life on the New Jersey shore and you base your opinion on it from what you saw on a "reality" TV show. That is equivalent to all Northerners thinking all Southerners are like "The Beverly Hillbillies". Silly, isn't it?

I will also guess you have never spent a day in New York City because it appears that you may be one of those who believe the stereotype "ny/new jersey people as rude,vulgar, lower middle class -Jersey shore type of stuff, " If you did ever visit NYC then you would know that there aren't many people there who fit that stereotype and the Jersey Shore was an expensive place to stay. Indeed people who fit that stereotype exist, mostly left overs from the 1950's and early 1960's who were personified in films such as West Side Story, "On the Waterfront", "The Lords of Flatbush", "Marty" and others.

There are guys who, if you met them, come across as guys who stepped out of "A Bronx Tale" or "Goodfellas" but actually are very well mannered, knowledgeable and friendly people. Call them a "guido" would have you left on the bottom of a trash dumpster on your way to the compactor.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" (The Godfather) types people do exist indeed. Look up a guy named Roy DeMeo and "The Gemini Lounge". I've been to the Gemini Lounge as I had a buddy from the old neighborhood who lived nearby. I never met DeMeo but stood next to him in the mens room at the Gemini, 99 percent of the people drinking in The Gemini Lounge, including me, didn't have a clue what was going on in the apartment attached to the bar. Again, those types are diminishing (most of them are retired in FL now) and in NY/NJ and different nationalities such as Russians have made notoriety as the new syndicate there.

"people should just try and get along, alot more unites them as americans than separates them"

I agree. The Northerners tried to do that in the early 1860's. It seems to me that a lot of Southerners still hold onto the thinking that led to that war. Maybe it's just that so many Northerners have come to the south because they could and a lot of Southern people know they are here for life. I don't have the answers but putting 1.5 million people in a narrow stereotype is ridiculous.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Good and bad in all States. What is really bad is when someone moves to another State because they want to live there and enjoy what it has to offer and then denigrates those who live there as though the new comers know better how to .... well are they making it better or worse with that attitude.

A very long time ago it was said when in Rome does as Romans do. When moving to Fl or anywhere don't assume you are more successful and wiser and have better intelligence. Change instead so YOU fit in, not demand that the others change. Thinking you have a better grip usually is an indication of a lack of intelligence and a lot of way over inflated ego.
Exactly.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
New Yorkers, just like people from anywhere else, are individuals.

Some will aggressively push through people who are closer to a subway seat that's just opened up in order to get to it first. But others (even when tired after a long day and with a long commute home still ahead of them) will offer their own seat to someone who obviously needs it more.

Considering that different people in the same place can run that wide of a gamut, you can't have meaningful knowledge of a particular person solely by knowing that they're from a certain place (New York or anywhere else).
That's the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida