Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 06:30 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I suppose being pushy, rude and aggressive and only interested in money, sorry, "succeeding" can always be painted with in a positive light.

It's like this: "I drove my car with NY state license plates aggressively on the highway down in Florida, flipped the southern slowpokes off 'cause I was in a hurry and well, they were just too slow, but they don't understand (too dumb?) that this is how we do it in NY city and Jersey 'cause whoever gets to their destination first is the most competitive and wins and feeds his family better".

Instead of coming to Florida and adapting to the Florida culture - you choose to find an excuse and tell everyone else to just live with it. Ok.

you said so it must be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 06:51 AM

People who use ethnic slurs are usually under educated people that most people tend to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
I do not agree with everything you wrote, but I absolutely agree with the offense taken to the term "Guido." It is an ethnic slur, considered extremely offensive where I come from, and is used on threads all over the Florida and Miami forums. Although I have reported its use numerous times, the moderators on C-D continually ignore my reports and leave this offensive ethnic slur all over these forums.

I think we should band together and make it clear to C-D moderators that whether or not they choose to personally use such ethnic slurs in their daily lives, the use of any ethnic slur by definition is a violation of C-D terms of use and should not be tolerated. It is offensive to humanity at large, offensive to C-D culture, and most certainly also a personal attack and insult used against other members.

I can list a whole bunch of other ethnic slurs here for every nationality and cultural group which would be complained about by members and removed by moderators without question. I won't list them, because they are offensive and insulting. The "G word" is just the same as these others, and is not part of civil discourse to use, whether you are talking about someone of Italian descent, or referring to 8 million people living inside of NYC limits that speak 800 different languages and clearly all come from different ethnic, racial, and national backgrounds from each other.

Please report other members who insist on using offensive and trolling posts targeted only to insult other posters. Don't feed the trolls.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I have lived in Europe, Canada, Midwest, New York/Jersey, Florida and Texas.

You cannot deny that Florida would be a totally different place had the New Yorkers and Jerseyans left it alone with all the money and migration into the state. Whether this influx/intervention left Florida for the better or worse, well, that's for everyone to decide for themselves. These kinds of discussions seem pointless in today's day and age. It's not like all New Yorkers will collectively leave the state as an experiment anyways.

Your original post sounds like you think you come from a superior culture ("Florida can't touch that"?) and you are just matter of factly explaining to us why New Yorkers are the way they are (in Florida?). At the same time you also tell us that you appreciate Florida and like it. Well, how nice. Thank you for that, it means a lot to everyone, I am sure. "Listen up peasants....".
Its a matter of keeping it straight. Just a statement of fact. For me the migration to FL has always been positive. For others perhaps not. The purpose of my post was to show that the types of people that you and others are a minority among the 1.5 million here You can read whatever you want into it.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:17 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,633,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Its a matter of keeping it straight. Just a statement of fact. For me the migration to FL has always been positive. For others perhaps not. The purpose of my post was to show that the types of people that you and others are a minority among the 1.5 million here You can read whatever you want into it.
Thanks for confirming all the "stereotypes" (can't be a stereotype if it is true?) about the folks from your "neck of the woods". Arrogant, pushy, aggressive and obnoxious, all in one!

Old 12-26-2015, 07:30 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,150,147 times
This has been beaten to death in so many ways.

The US is so culturally and ethnically diverse and a lot of these differences are separated geographically within the states.

I am a New Englander who is living in Northeast Florida.............it's not back home and I do not expect it to be, nor will I try to make this place like where I came from. That's the beauty of the US.

Now we do have those who have relocated here and are retired and spend a lot of time volunteering their time to causes to make their new home much like where they came from.

Florida is what is is, it is culturally different............you can't change what it is. Before mass population migrations due to retirements, jobs, etc. people lived in their own US geographic regions where the generations before them lived.

If you have to try and change the area you moved to make you happy then that's not where you belong. Leave it like it is for the locals.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-26-2015, 07:38 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,525,000 times
My view is this on this subject. As far as NY/NJ and really much of the big Northeast Metro's. Not all but most people are not as easily offended as elsewhere. There is a toughness that has to be developed, simply because it is a very different area. You have to learn to get along with a multitude, of different types of people and cultures. Your exposed to wide varieties of mindsets and lifestyles. It is not Florida or the rest of the southeast, and can't be expected to be. I find there are many more insults thrown in the direction, of people from the Northeast than vice versa. It's just not talked about or admitted. I find I have to walk on egg shells with people in Florida. However I do not live in South Florida with a heavy mixture of people. I live in a an area with a high population, of pretty much what the OP described. It is what it is.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for confirming all the "stereotypes" (can't be a stereotype if it is true?) about the folks from your "neck of the woods". Arrogant, pushy, aggressive and obnoxious, all in one!
Many other ways to describe them as well, but you should just stick with what you know.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:47 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,633,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Many other ways to describe them as well, but you should just stick with what you know.
I am sticking with what you are displaying in this thread.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:45 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,497 times
What is the point of this ignorant thread ?

Old 12-26-2015, 02:58 PM

784 posts, read 1,982,318 times
I have included material from posting on this subject on another thread. I tweaked the post to fit this thread, but here goes: I will agree and disagree with some of the claims in this thread. I have lived all over the country, but did a good part of my growing up both in one of the outer boroughs of NYC and on Long Island. While living in New York at the time, I found that most people were really nice, but not so friendly on the outside and that when people didn't hold the door open for the person behind them or talk to the person passing them in the street, it wasn't intended as an act of rudeness. When they stepped away from the fast paced lifestyle for a second, NYC and Long Island people were some of the nicest and down to earth people anywhere. When I moved away from NY, I found that most had a general disdain for New Yorkers that sometimes bordered on outright hatred, that was prevalent in people from most areas. For some reason, I became curious and decided to learn why New Yorkers were so hated. I heard the usual that they're rude, loud, obnoxious, know it alls. When I asked if someone would automatically dislike anyone because they are a New Yorker, the person would always say no and that "not all New Yorkers are like that."
The disdain is not limited to NYC, but much of the urban coastal Northeast, especially including Philadelphia, Boston, New Jersey, and sometimes Connecticut and sometimes Baltimore. Many from areas near NYC believed they were unfortunatley wrongly lumped in with New Yorkers but unfortunatley, many from the urban region of which I speak share similar mannerisms, accents, and culture that tends to come across as rude and off-putting to most in the rest of the nation. I have seen more than one post where the poster found the actual residents in NYC less ruder than those in surrounding areas and other cities.
In general, if you move from the Northeast to the South, be prepared to hear fairly often negative views of Northeasterners/New Yorkers. That being said, much of the disdain is only toward those Northeasterners who still live up there and are visiting and/or recent transplants as those who have moved down a while ago tend to have blended in enough and do not usually ruffle any feathers. That being said, a New Yorker or anyone else that moves to an area and does not fit the stereotype will find easy acceptance. People actually find New Yorkers interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida