Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:18 PM

317 posts, read 1,229,562 times

Advertisements

I've been posting for awhile about my intentions to move to FL from NJ. I recently had the opportunity to speak to a bunch of different folks who had either OWNED and SOLD their Florida real estate investments (or whatever)...2 families that had just moved back to NJ from FL....and another one who I had been sharing my fact finding experiences with...who was also intent on moving.

Net Net. You guys are in as much trouble as we are here in NJ. It is true. Our taxes our high, but we don't have the insurance $$$ to deal with it on top of it...and your taxes are catching up real fast to right where we are.

So...the "word" in this NJ circle was....FL is a mess, stay away, forget about it. .........tough times everywhere..........

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 06:03 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
Default It's sad but true

We loved being here in Florida but it's time to go home. The taxes are out of control and so is the insurance. We don't want to be caught in a storm and have no insurance. We are heading for N.E. Pa. which is minutes from Jersey.
We miss the family and friends too. That is what is important to us. All the sunshine in the world can not replace the family and friends we miss!

Old 11-16-2006, 09:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Two very smart people, keep spreading the reality of Florida!

Old 11-17-2006, 08:35 AM

320 posts, read 1,130,062 times
I think it is what you make of it. I live in Jersey now and want to move to Florida sometime within the next year. I do not plan on buying a house initially, so the huge property tax and insurance won't affect me. I'm sure my renter's insurance will be higher but I don't see that being too crazy.

I'll take the warm weather, sunny beach days, and hot girls anyday of the week. NJ isn't that great. If you don't like Florida, try another state. We have quite a few of them.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:39 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
Default Watch out for those hot girls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
I think it is what you make of it. I live in Jersey now and want to move to Florida sometime within the next year. I do not plan on buying a house initially, so the huge property tax and insurance won't affect me. I'm sure my renter's insurance will be higher but I don't see that being too crazy.

I'll take the warm weather, sunny beach days, and hot girls anyday of the week. NJ isn't that great. If you don't like Florida, try another state. We have quite a few of them.
Just becareful the girl isn't a loser. Alot of them down here have no values whatsoever! There are so many teen pregnancies, it's ridiculous.

When you start getting too hot, just turn on the A/C and stay inside for
about 7 months! Make sure you don't hit the beach in the summer, you will absolutely die out there. It's way too hot to go and the water isn't even refreshing. Yuk!
I'll take the N.E. over Florida any day!!!! The Jersey shore is a great place to hang out and enjoy the bands!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 09:17 AM

33 posts, read 100,909 times
A place is what you make of it. I love New Jersey and a piece of my heart and soul will always be here, but I too am moving to FL in the summer of '07. I am prepared to make some major adjustments and I'm sure it will be difficult at first. My family is in Florida and thats where I need to be so I'm determined to make it work. I stayed in Jersey to be near my elderly grandparents and now that they have both passed, it is time for me to move on and be near my sister, brother, nieces and nephews. Please welcome me, I promise I will be nice!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 10:38 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post

I've been posting for awhile about my intentions to move to FL from NJ. I recently had the opportunity to speak to a bunch of different folks who had either OWNED and SOLD their Florida real estate investments (or whatever)...2 families that had just moved back to NJ from FL....and another one who I had been sharing my fact finding experiences with...who was also intent on moving.

Net Net. You guys are in as much trouble as we are here in NJ. It is true. Our taxes our high, but we don't have the insurance $$$ to deal with it on top of it...and your taxes are catching up real fast to right where we are.

So...the "word" in this NJ circle was....FL is a mess, stay away, forget about it. .........tough times everywhere..........

thoughts?
There's no comparison to NJ and Fla. None whatsoever and frankly this Floridian who escaped NJ many years ago thinks it's just fine that y'all look and see what you'll get in NC.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:23 AM

33 posts, read 100,909 times
If you escaped NJ to go to FL, why don't you want others to as well?

Old 11-18-2006, 11:36 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlGoinSouth View Post
If you escaped NJ to go to FL, why don't you want others to as well?
Florida has been spending tons of money on advertising for 50 years. Its not that great. there are other areas in the south that have more to offer. but you need to come here to find out. you might like it. I'm just keeping it real. just look and you will find most of the posters that say its so great sell realestate and its real slow right now.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:02 AM

12 posts, read 35,507 times
Default Moving To Florida????? Think Again

I have been in Florida since 2004, I moved from Maryland. Well.. for those of you who plan to move to South Florida like I did, make sure you have a Cuban Visa or a Latin American Visa in your American Passport. Otherwise, it will be a tough journey and you will end up moving back where you came from just like I am planning to do it in three months.

If you have money to start a business, you may be OK. But if you are planning to look for a job, get ready to work for $ 8.00 or $ 9.00/hr( if you are lucky), it does not matter if you have a college degree. I have 2 masters and I am working for $ 9.00/hr to take care of my children. Employers in Florida do not care about your college degree. In South Florida, if you do not speak Spanish, you need to learn it as fast as you can or get ready to wear your security guard uniform. When someone tells you that Florida has a lot of jobs, ask them 3 questions:

1) What kind of jobs?

2) Do employers offer benefits (Health, Paid Vacation) to their employees?

3) Will I have time to see the beauty of South Florida?

You will have to work 2 or 3 jobs to pay your bills, I do not know when and how you will have time to go to the beach or elsewhere. anyway.....

This is like the third world. You have the wealthy people who are really rich and the poor people who are really poor. If you drive by Deerfield Beach area on Martin Luther King Blvd close to Hillsboro, you will see the slums of South Florida and this is sad. I do not think these people are part of the Sunshine State.

Good Luck to those of you who plan to move to South Florida without a Cuban Visa or a Latin American Visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida