Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 02:32 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,322 times

Advertisements

First, you do NOT have to be bilingual to work in Orlando area. I've lived here 25 years and know hundreds of people here. My husband grew up here and all his family live here. They all have good jobs, most of which they have kept for years and none of us speak Spanish. Our children, cousins, nieces, nephews etc. are graduating from colleges/universities and most of them settle here in Orlando. They, too are able to find good jobs and a home - settle down and raise a family.

Certainly we are not a cosmopolitan city and never have claimed to be one. We are a family city and it's a great place to live and raise your family. For instance, this halloween we had over 100 children from our neighborhood come to our door. They were all polite, well-mannered and exquisitely costumed. ALL were accompanied by at least one parent...and I saw representations of all ethnic groups imaginable. It was a great evening and proved to me that our kids can still enjoy some of the old fashioned fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 08:27 AM

208 posts, read 974,688 times
Default Ok let's get one thing straight here

NEW YORK is also an employment at will state. Ok? So it's not like it's a big shock to anyone moving from NY to Florida. I am just amazed at some of the things I've seen posted in here deterring people from moving down there. I have to assume in some cases it's because people are sick of out of staters moving down there in droves, and I can totally understand that. But, let's get real, there isn't one single place in this country, or world most likely, that is perfect for every single person that walks this planet.

So let me tell you what is happening around where I live, on Long Island. Most of my family find it difficult to make ends meet nowadays because housing prices are way too expensive and wages aren't keeping up with cost of living. I have to think the average house on LI is well over 300k now. Wages on LI are not that great. I work in NYC so I can make a decent living, but that comes with it's price. I have a 4 hour plus round trip door-to-door commute. So nothing anybody has said about central florida worries me, scares me or deters me from wanting to move down there. I'm not moving down just because of the weather. I happen to like all the theme parks (and yes I do have a child), I like the close proximity to both coasts, and since I'm moving to Mount Dora, there promises to be plenty of fishing and boating to keep me happy for quite some time. Especially since I'll find myself with more time since I should be able to have a slightly more sane commute!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:22 PM

5 posts, read 13,415 times
Hi!
I know that this post was made in 2006, but I am hoping that you still have this account and that you are still an active member. I am kind of in a predicament, as I am seriously considering relocating from MD to Orlando. Sort of the same reasons as you. I have four children, all school age from elementary to high school so I am very weary about making the wrong decision, don't want to move and then regret. I am mostly worried about the "right area" and schools being good.
I was just wondering if you ended up making the move and if so what area you moved to and what your experience has been and if you have any words of advice, guidance and comments on the schools??

Any help you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

thank you so much,
G.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybabies View Post
Hi!
I know that this post was made in 2006, but I am hoping that you still have this account and that you are still an active member. I am kind of in a predicament, as I am seriously considering relocating from MD to Orlando. Sort of the same reasons as you. I have four children, all school age from elementary to high school so I am very weary about making the wrong decision, don't want to move and then regret. I am mostly worried about the "right area" and schools being good.
I was just wondering if you ended up making the move and if so what area you moved to and what your experience has been and if you have any words of advice, guidance and comments on the schools??

Any help you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

thank you so much,
G.
Central Florida has some of the worst schools in the country, leaving kids no hope just to work in the tourist industry making $7.00/hr and very poor and unethical employees. Please do not move there, you will be making a huge mistake. Orlando is one of the crookedest cities I have lived in because its all based on tourism. If you want to move please consider a different city. Orlando sucks.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times
Orlando does not suck LOL, but I would be careful to do research on both the school your kids will go to and the neighborhood you will be moving too.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 AM

986 posts, read 3,549,490 times
Default hi there

Well, all i can say is that, it all depends on you. You will hear alot of exagerated nonsence about aligators, pay only being $3.00 an hour etc. Even disney pay a minimum of $7.00 and change so i would take that with a grain of salt. Companies like Brighthouse are always recruiting it is true. But what someone posted earlier is true. Florida is a right to work state meaning, they can fire you just like that. But you have to think to yourself, how safe is anyones job unless you work for yourself.

I would come down a couple more times and see if the lifestyle is for you. Dont stay in the touristy areas and do touristy things because when you live here you dont do any of that, and just see how it fits. Ive been here 5 yrs and i was originally from the UK and as my wife will tell you a huge woos. Believe me, snakes, aligators spiders all freak me out. Well im still here...lol

Good luck

Old 04-08-2008, 11:44 AM

10 posts, read 32,527 times
Now would be the time because many homes are up for sale!
Name your price!

Check to news before moving into Orlando, move outside of the city and drive in, I live in central Fl school syster is great.

Last edited by sunrico90; 04-08-2008 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida