Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:54 PM

17,188 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelliedfox View Post
I don't mind living in an retirement town. I'm not a busy person. I want quiet and homey.
Lucie I found a town home for 1500 and that was a 3 bedroom Lol that and all the activity up there is nice.
I don't mind being Two or three hours away from Orlando.
What is paisley like?
Paisley is probably waaaaaaaaaaaay too remote lol.

St-Lucie would be a good choice, then. I wasn't sure you wanted to be in such a big and lively town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 03:13 PM

175 posts, read 180,559 times
Haha thats okay.

All I want is a homey place with outdoor activities for the family to do. I'm not country nor am I crazy city. I'm right down the middle. I don't party or anything but I like theme parks etc. So I was thinking since I didn't like being close to Orlando but I liked the attraxtions that being a few hours away would be convienant for a one or twice a year trip to it. I hope that helps!

St Lucie is def. My favor. Thus far. Nice town home, things to do.. I'm just trying to have second r third options in case they don't work out when I take a vacation there.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:04 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelliedfox View Post
Did you read what I wrote?

I have been to both sanford and Lake Mary. I drove down a street for five minutes and had some guy banging at my window asking me for money and food. I was in Sanford getting gas and a cross the street, someone was getting arrested for possessing some sort of drugs and illegal guns. Im not into that, sorry. If you never saw it, GREAT. But i dont want be to there.

If youre not going to suggest anything and instead say im wrong about the crime rates then please, dont post here. I want suggestions of places to look up, if yours is on the list already for whatever reasons "yes or a no" then dont post or suggest nice areas in those places (of yeses) or tell me more about the yes places.
Please and thank you.
Yep, I did. You drove down a street for five minutes and stopped to get gas...that's usually more than enough time to come up with a comprehensive conclusion for any area. Crime rates are calculated by zip code which cover many square miles in most instances. One bad neighborhood in that zip code can obviously make it seem worse than it is. As an FYI the area you're dissing has A+ rated schools (Top 5 school district in the state) and is highly sought after to live in. But hey, you know better than right? Go check out some place like St Lucie County with it's 60th ranked school district (out of 66 districts)...very desirable no doubt.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:28 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Just a heads-up on crime stats. Measuring crime in occurrence per 100,000 residents isn't an accurate metric for small towns, especially very small towns. A single, isolated incident between two truck drivers at the Waffle House outside of town can jack Mayberry's number up to Johannesburg levels.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Just curious...is your husband in management at Walmart? Is he transferring down to a Walmart here? I would think you would need to transfer where there is a job opening. Also would check to see if he transfers with the same salary or if the money goes down. My cousin is in personel managerfor the local Walmart store and on average she hires about 50 people a week because of the turnover and no shows down here. We had a friend transfer and had to take a pay cut to move to Florida.
Also don't know what you make in NJ for your job but animal control officers here do not make a great amount of money.

Finding an area of Florida that is crime free is going to be as hard as living a day without seeing a tag on a car from another state. Just because figures say a place is high crime does not mean you will be a victim. The town I live in has 94 sq. miles of streets and if you listen to the hype it is a dangerous city to live in. Wrong.....it is a very family oriented town with good schools. Been here 40 years and feel very safe-and this town has even had a mass murder. The thing is if you and your husband don't do drugs. sell drugs, mess with someone else's mate, have family members that are violent,mentally ill, or jealous, leave your doors unlocked, flash money in a store, or walk down a dark street in the wrong side of town at 3AM you will probably be OK in any town in Florida.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:51 AM

17,188 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Just curious...is your husband in management at Walmart? Is he transferring down to a Walmart here? I would think you would need to transfer where there is a job opening. Also would check to see if he transfers with the same salary or if the money goes down. My cousin is in personel managerfor the local Walmart store and on average she hires about 50 people a week because of the turnover and no shows down here. We had a friend transfer and had to take a pay cut to move to Florida.
Also don't know what you make in NJ for your job but animal control officers here do not make a great amount of money.

Finding an area of Florida that is crime free is going to be as hard as living a day without seeing a tag on a car from another state. Just because figures say a place is high crime does not mean you will be a victim. The town I live in has 94 sq. miles of streets and if you listen to the hype it is a dangerous city to live in. Wrong.....it is a very family oriented town with good schools. Been here 40 years and feel very safe-and this town has even had a mass murder. The thing is if you and your husband don't do drugs. sell drugs, mess with someone else's mate, have family members that are violent,mentally ill, or jealous, leave your doors unlocked, flash money in a store, or walk down a dark street in the wrong side of town at 3AM you will probably be OK in any town in Florida.

Precisely. I mean, if you look at my little city of Mount Dora, you'll find a crime rate that is not reflective of the city at all.
It can fluctuate drastically simply by having a bar brawl spill out into a parking lot in the middle of the night and having 5 morons arrested for battery and assault.
If one visits Mount Dora, (and those who have will agree I'm sure) one will not get the image that it's a dangerous place full of bums and thugs.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:10 PM

I'm not replyong to any crime stat info. I will never understand people. I specifically said I don't want any counter arguments and people still want to argue it haha. Idc if I have a, "****ty attitude". When someone or myself asks for a specific thing and everyone ignores it I have every right to be annoyed. Especially since I said it in my first post. I even gave a website with numbers id like to follow and even that was ignored. People came here to argue and I'm not in the mood nor care to fight.

Anywho. My husband is most likely going to try to transfer. He's a manager of Walmart, yes. He loses a dollar so its not that much different than a syarted job here in jersey. Mknimum wage is actually pretty close to that of florida depending ob where you work up here. However, he will be looking into other jobs and careers in whichever area we choose. Even though we have a good savings amount to last us a year, we want him secured into a joB, first. That was the first mistake we made the first time we moved to Florida and he lost his job. It was tough. I on the other hand can't transfer. Animal control laws differ state to state so I have to re certified in the state I moved to by going to school for two months. That's why we have our savings and he has to have a job first ^-^ and from what I've seen, salary for animal control here is 35k and it says 32k in Florida so not that big of a cut either. But we will see appreciate the job advice! It was a big issue last time D:

Old 05-19-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Just a heads-up on crime stats. Measuring crime in occurrence per 100,000 residents isn't an accurate metric for small towns, especially very small towns. A single, isolated incident between two truck drivers at the Waffle House outside of town can jack Mayberry's number up to Johannesburg levels.
Thank you. I didnt think much of that. I will be signing up or come alerts for whatever town I really like. That way I can make a more educated guess. thanks!

Old 05-19-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yep, I did. You drove down a street for five minutes and stopped to get gas...that's usually more than enough time to come up with a comprehensive conclusion for any area. Crime rates are calculated by zip code which cover many square miles in most instances. One bad neighborhood in that zip code can obviously make it seem worse than it is. As an FYI the area you're dissing has A+ rated schools (Top 5 school district in the state) and is highly sought after to live in. But hey, you know better than right? Go check out some place like St Lucie County with it's 60th ranked school district (out of 66 districts)...very desirable no doubt.
I can tell you suck at reading, kyle. I did also mention that grade A schools weren't a big thin for me haha have a nice day Ive seen you in plenty of places and anytime someone says they don't like Sanford you cry so I'm not wasting any more replied to you.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:28 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Come on, man, read her OP, she said she's not interested in a top school - mediocrity is all she's looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida