Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2006, 09:37 AM

65 posts, read 341,121 times

Advertisements

How is public transportation in your area? Is it easy to get around? Do the buses run after midnight? Please also list where you live.

(If it weren't for my family members who drive, I would never be able to go anywhere here in South Florida).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 10:12 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
The virtually one-choice domestic ground transportation system in most of the country is one of the structural weaknesses of the US economy and is in part a cause of some major foreign policy disasters recently.

Once a few years ago I put "serious transportation policy" in a Google search and came up with nothing, zilch, zero, squat, nada, un *****. Apparently the concept does not exist in US public discourse.

Having said that, as you know, living in southern Florida, there is the Tri-Rail system linking Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade Counties:

- first, the quality of the trains communicates the impression that they built the system only begrudgingly;

- second, the system parallels 95 and almost all of the stations are located off 95, meaning that one has to drive a car in order to actually use the system which to a great extent defeats the whole purpose;

- third, except for the peak morning hours, it runs about once an hour, and once about every three hours on the weekend;

- fourth, it is too slow to be useful if you have to travel across two counties.

In short, even Bulgaria has a better regional train system.

Dade county is a bit better off with the Metrorail system, connecting both parts of northern Dade and southern Dade to downtown, while downtown itself is served with the people mover's system (I forget the official name) which is actually free of charge.

With these two systems, Dade is moving in the right direction, and perhaps the county government can extend the Metrorail further south and west to make it more meaningful to a larger portion of the population. As for downtown Miami, there is talk of re-introducing a cable car system: some criticize it, arguing that it overlaps with the people mover's system and some bus routes, but I think redundancy and choice in regional and local transport systems are good things.

I will let others address the bus system: I haven't had the guts to figure out how it works (or doesn't work) in the tri-county southern Florida area.

Finally, worth mentioning is that some senior citizens communities, such as Kings Point in Delray Beach or various Century Village communities, have their own mini-bus shuttle services for residents, both within the community and to local shopping centers. I believe that Palm Beach County, at least, operates a subsidized mini-bus shuttle service for seniors within the county limits.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:29 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
Just on the flip side - not everyone wants public transportation around. I'm one of them. I know that with the exception of NYC, most other major cities only offer public transporation in poorer areas. I don't want to live around that. Why? Take a look at public transporation systems. They are filthy, dangerous, the bus stops are gross, etc. Plus you spend WAY more time sitting and waiting for a bus and riding it than driving your own car. Just my two cents on public transporation... I don't like it! :-)

Old 11-10-2006, 02:15 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnywabbit! View Post
How is public transportation in your area? Is it easy to get around? Do the buses run after midnight? Please also list where you live.

(If it weren't for my family members who drive, I would never be able to go anywhere here in South Florida).
Central Florida has no effective public transportation system. Orlando has the Lynx bus system, but doesn't nearly cover what's needed. I live west of Orlando and we have zilch.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:34 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
In Navarre we don't have public transportation... Fort Walton Beach has a small fairly good system for the area.

Do we want one? I don't because the cost and the schedules will not work for me. Most of my bussiness is in Fort Walton. Navarre is a small town that I Jan 07 will get a new Super Wal-mart. But we car-pool to save money on gas and we adjusted our work schedule to benefit the employees...

I'm used the ones in NYC and England and is superb.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:51 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,973 times
Greator Orlando has a bus system and that's it. And, I for one like it that way. I actually prefer the I-4 and 408 gridlock to ruining the outlying small towns with a mass transit system that will enable people to live even further out. That would destroy places like Geneva, Mt. Dora, Deland, Clearmont, etc. We would just be exporting our sprawl to these towns with more mass transit.

I know, I'm an old stick-in-the-mud, but that's just how I feel.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:33 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,412 times
Orlando here....What public Transportation?

A few weeks ago we had a 15 year old driving a public bus picking up passengers. From what I've read, he drove better than those employeed!

This place needs a mono-rail, a-train or something.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:53 PM

65 posts, read 341,121 times
Default thanks for the responds

It's that bad, huh?

Old 11-12-2006, 03:21 PM

96 posts, read 457,774 times
Default Buses in the greater Tampa Bay Area

Although it doesn't come close to NYC, Tampa, St Pete and Clearwater are doing much better than in previous years. In Tampa there are satellite lots, transfer stations and most buses end up at most malls, eventually. There are many express buses for commuters from outlying areas as well. Tampa provides nummerous route maps for free to anyone who visits a mall (and will mail them upon request). For those of you who are timid about a bus excursion, dedicate a day or two to riding around, getting familiar with the routes and where they connect/intersect. I'll admit, it's a bit scary for a little old lady (at first), but my dear friend (who is now deceased), managed to go anywhere she needed by bus, and that was 20 years ago. It's far better now. We are working towards monorail/light rail to enhanse the current bus system. Quite an undertaking now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida