Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 06:47 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,373 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to south FL next year. Our main income will be from rental property, however we do some lawncare here now and were considering starting a serious business when we move. We will either be moving to sarasota county(or even a little more north below Tampa) or on the east coast by vero beach. Im sure theres tons of both lawn companies and individuals who do lawncare. Wondering if its worth a shot, seems like there would be quite a demand (and competition).

Questions are:
1. Could we work our way in and maybe gain customers and build up over time if we do quality work? Or do you think its to saturated?

2. What would be the going rates for mowing(we would mow, edge, blow ect) what do you pay for mowing/size of yard or how much would you pay? here, its $30-40 for average yard. Also, for mulching we currently charge $70 per yard to lay, is this high/low for the area? Just need some ideas of pricing so we can compare to expenses.

We are just trying to have a plan when we move, like to research ahead of time so we know if we want to focus on just rentals or also lawncare. We both enjoy lawncare, working outside and mowing so would like to do well at it.

Sorry if I posted in wrong forum, but really hoping to just get advice from FL based residents or even companies. Prices vary so much from state to state.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
I pay $40 for 1/4 acre per cut...cuts here always include edging and blowing. The edging and blowing take longer than the mowing. If it were just mowing that was needed, I'd get a riding mower and do it myself, but the edging and blowing look great when done by a 'professional.'

I use a service run by a neighbor; I am constantly getting flyers and approached by other lawn care companies. I might be able to get a cheaper service, but I like my neighbor and he keeps an eye on house when we travel (which is a lot of time).

I do my own mulching as our city gives it away.

I am in Gulfport in the TB area.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:09 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,180,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
My husband and I will be moving to south FL next year. Our main income will be from rental property, however we do some lawncare here now and were considering starting a serious business when we move. We will either be moving to sarasota county(or even a little more north below Tampa) or on the east coast by vero beach. Im sure theres tons of both lawn companies and individuals who do lawncare. Wondering if its worth a shot, seems like there would be quite a demand (and competition).

Questions are:
1. Could we work our way in and maybe gain customers and build up over time if we do quality work? Or do you think its to saturated?

2. What would be the going rates for mowing(we would mow, edge, blow ect) what do you pay for mowing/size of yard or how much would you pay? here, its $30-40 for average yard. Also, for mulching we currently charge $70 per yard to lay, is this high/low for the area? Just need some ideas of pricing so we can compare to expenses.

We are just trying to have a plan when we move, like to research ahead of time so we know if we want to focus on just rentals or also lawncare. We both enjoy lawncare, working outside and mowing so would like to do well at it.

Sorry if I posted in wrong forum, but really hoping to just get advice from FL based residents or even companies. Prices vary so much from state to state.

Thanks everyone!
A lot of companies charge a monthly rate. They mow 4 times a month most of the year and only 1 or 2 times a month-depending on what the lawns need. My cousins company charges $100 a month for a 1/4 acre lot without a lot of gardens and trees for a straight mow. More if it has to be hand mower. They charge extra for trimming bushes etc.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:21 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post

Questions are:

Thanks everyone!
We are south of there, in the unincorporated Charlotte County area. Although there are many lawn services in the whole area, IMO you can make it if you are dependable and do quality work. It will take a while to build up a customer base, so I'd say having other sources of income while you do so would be a must.

The guy who takes care of our lawn has recently gotten back into the lawn/landscaping business after he retired from a state job he had had for many years. He had worked a number of years in the landscaping business before he took the state job, so he is experienced in the business. He charges us $140/month to cut about an acre of lawn, and we have about a 1/4 acre of more or less undeveloped land that he cleared and keeps down to a minimum-he cuts that about once a month in the summer and charges an extra $50 for that when he does it. Tree and bush trimming are extra but reasonable. He's done a great job and comes about every week in the summer and as needed in the winter.

I know he also works a full time job at another landscaping company to make ends meet at this point, and hopes to have enough customers at some point to take care of his lawn service full time. We picked him up around last October or November, I think it was, and he says he has picked up maybe 10-12 customers since then, mostly by word of mouth. We found him by calling a farm equipment/lawn equipment, etc. place near us where he had placed business cards, so that's another way to advertise and let folks know you are out there.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:28 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,062 times
One idea would be to call some of the larger and/or more popular lawn services and see if they have any sub work. That accomplishes a couple of things. If they have some, then you get some work and it indicates the market is not saturated because they have more work than they can handle. If no one has any, that sounds like saturation. It doesn't mean you couldn't make a go of it; people are always switching and new places are being built.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:00 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,373 times
Thanks so far everyone for the advice and info!

travelassie, thanks for the advertising tips. We currently are word of mouth here to and advertise on craigslist some. Maybe would try to do an ad in the paper or if theres coupon mailers down there is another one to try.

we have some great clients right now, but its more of a "side job" with having rental properties. Was hoping to only have a few rentals in FL and maybe focus more on the lawncare business. Lots to consider and research!

Thanks carvedtones for the tip, good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida