Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:17 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,188,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LItransplant View Post
Because sometimes, you have no choice but to relocate (job) and/or you don't just have one kid but several and their well being are all just as important. So you may have a great school for special needs kid but the other kids school is not the greatest. It's about trying to get information and do what's best as a whole family. We are just trying to get information from other Florida parents who have kids in the Florida school system with special needs so we know what questions to ask so we can get the best information.
Are you talking about job transfers or that there's jobs here that don't exist up there?

Because I'm also trying to figure out when Florida became such a mecca for jobs.

BTW, so far, judging from some of responses I've gotten on this thread, I was NOT off the mark on my original perception. No one's saying people with special needs kids don't have a right to move where they want. But why so many from the Northeast/MidAtlantic? What's going on?

I'd appreciate some honest responses here instead of indignant denial. Not that I'll get any.

I mean, after years of hearing from our betters up North how much better the schools and jobs are, this is a bit of a sudden switch. All of a sudden Florida has plentiful jobs and great schools for special needs kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 10:31 AM

264 posts, read 229,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Are you talking about job transfers or that there's jobs here that don't exist up there?

Because I'm also trying to figure out when Florida became such a mecca for jobs.

BTW, so far, judging from some of responses I've gotten on this thread, I was NOT off the mark on my original perception. No one's saying people with special needs kids don't have a right to move where they want. But why so many from the Northeast/MidAtlantic? What's going on?

I'd appreciate some honest responses here instead of indignant denial. Not that I'll get any.

I mean, after years of hearing from our betters up North how much better the schools and jobs are, this is a bit of a sudden switch. All of a sudden Florida has plentiful jobs and great schools for special needs kids.
My family and I are moving for the weather and family reasons. After almost 40 years of shoveling snow and dealing with winter, I have had enough. Also, my sister and her family is down there and I am tired of not being able to see them. I am lucky to have a job that is available in all 50 states and of course, plan on having one before we move...lol

Old 06-29-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpotterfan77 View Post
My family and I are moving for the weather and family reasons. After almost 40 years of shoveling snow and dealing with winter, I have had enough. Also, my sister and her family is down there and I am tired of not being able to see them. I am lucky to have a job that is available in all 50 states and of course, plan on having one before we move...lol
Now we're starting to get somewhere, lol. We got a little more way to go, though. Not necessarily referring to you individually.

It's my general experience, from having been born and raised in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic, that no one seemed to mind the winters quite as much when they were more prosperous. Just sayin'.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Now we're starting to get somewhere, lol. We got a little more way to go, though. Not necessarily referring to you individually.

It's my general experience, from having been born and raised in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic, that no one seemed to mind the winters quite as much when they were more prosperous. Just sayin'.
It's not that we're not prosperous and yes, people definitely complain less...lol I miss my sister, niece and nephew and have just gotten to the point in my life where I need a change of scenery. My husband refuses to live in the "South" so FL is a nice compromise...lol

Old 06-30-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
It's not that we're not prosperous and yes, people definitely complain less...lol I miss my sister, niece and nephew and have just gotten to the point in my life where I need a change of scenery. My husband refuses to live in the "South" so FL is a nice compromise...lol
Over the decades, many people have moved to Florida for the weather, at least, ever since the advent of air conditioning.

However, not to the degree that they are moving here now from up north. What, all of a sudden people discovered it's cold up north during the winter?

Now, I don't know what the actual percentages are, but I'm saying that we're getting a LOT of economic refugees from your neck of the woods who won't admit it. Trouble is, many want services for themselves or their children that I'm not sure the state will be able to sustain financially in the long run, unless they raise taxes and fees, which is exactly what is happening.

And unless we find out WHAT is causing the burgeoning population of special needs children and do something about it, it's gonna be a world of hurt in the future. Heck, we haven't been able to figure out the explosion in dementia in the elderly population. Might as well turn Florida into one giant assisted living facility for people of all ages. Sigh. Maybe that's the idea.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Over the decades, many people have moved to Florida for the weather, at least, ever since the advent of air conditioning.

However, not to the degree that they are moving here now from up north. What, all of a sudden people discovered it's cold up north during the winter?

Now, I don't know what the actual percentages are, but I'm saying that we're getting a LOT of economic refugees from your neck of the woods who won't admit it. Trouble is, many want services for themselves or their children that I'm not sure the state will be able to sustain financially in the long run, unless they raise taxes and fees, which is exactly what is happening.

And unless we find out WHAT is causing the burgeoning population of special needs children and do something about it, it's gonna be a world of hurt in the future. Heck, we haven't been able to figure out the explosion in dementia in the elderly population. Might as well turn Florida into one giant assisted living facility for people of all ages. Sigh. Maybe that's the idea.
Your guess is as good as mine. I have always loved Florida but never considered moving there until the last few years. Also, I don't think FL, or any state for that matter is getting a new influx of special needs children. I think it's the fact that in the last 10 - 15 years, they've done a better job of research and development and identification of issues that maybe were labeled lazy, uninterested, unruly...etc before. Now that we know what is causing "some" of it because there are definitely still lazy, uninterested students out there, we can better treat it and have a better plan for it. My children are both ADHD (runs rampant in the family) though they show in completely different ways. One child has an above average IQ and does very well in school simply because he has a good memory but can't sit still enough to save his life and actually pay attention some days. My other son is normal IQ. He does ok in school (B's and C's) but is more socially immature than his brother who is actually 12 months younger than him and it can have a detrimental effect to his ego. Neither one, if you looked at them, would seem different to you than the average child but living with them and seeing how they struggled in school before they were diagnosed is eye opening. Honestly, as a tax payer, I don't mind paying higher taxes for better schools, roads, etc. I'm sure many on here would call me a whole host of names for that comment but it is what it is.

My kids are middle school age and one will most likely be entering high school once we get down there. I'm hoping by then to have them transitioned out of the special ed programs as they've made tremendous progress but all states, FL included have to be prepared for it.

End word-vomit...lol

Old 07-01-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Your guess is as good as mine. I have always loved Florida but never considered moving there until the last few years. Also, I don't think FL, or any state for that matter is getting a new influx of special needs children. I think it's the fact that in the last 10 - 15 years, they've done a better job of research and development and identification of issues that maybe were labeled lazy, uninterested, unruly...etc before. Now that we know what is causing "some" of it because there are definitely still lazy, uninterested students out there, we can better treat it and have a better plan for it. My children are both ADHD (runs rampant in the family) though they show in completely different ways. One child has an above average IQ and does very well in school simply because he has a good memory but can't sit still enough to save his life and actually pay attention some days. My other son is normal IQ. He does ok in school (B's and C's) but is more socially immature than his brother who is actually 12 months younger than him and it can have a detrimental effect to his ego. Neither one, if you looked at them, would seem different to you than the average child but living with them and seeing how they struggled in school before they were diagnosed is eye opening. Honestly, as a tax payer, I don't mind paying higher taxes for better schools, roads, etc. I'm sure many on here would call me a whole host of names for that comment but it is what it is.

My kids are middle school age and one will most likely be entering high school once we get down there. I'm hoping by then to have them transitioned out of the special ed programs as they've made tremendous progress but all states, FL included have to be prepared for it.

End word-vomit...lol

I just want to say that I appreciate your responses and your communication on what is a touchy subject for many. You seem to be a very decent person with your children's best interests at heart and very engaged.

I may have some basic misunderstanding on what "special needs" covers. Anyone know if there is a list out there that I can access?

The reason I'm asking is because as an older person, I and those in my age group need to be more clued in on what's going on. Many of us live here because taxes are low and the living is easy, or it used to be.

Now, you said "Honestly, as a tax payer, I don't mind paying higher taxes for better schools, roads, etc. I'm sure many on here would call me a whole host of names for that comment but it is what it is."

Yes, there are many people who wouldn't appreciate that, especially retired people who already went through raising families and paying high taxes and commuting to jobs, etc. They're living on savings, social security, and pensions that could disappear any minute, the way things are going out there. They're not going to want those higher taxes, that's for sure. OTOH, the social security they're living on comes out of the hides of younger people and they need to be reminded of this. I'm still working and paying myself, but my day is coming, lol.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I just want to say that I appreciate your responses and your communication on what is a touchy subject for many. You seem to be a very decent person with your children's best interests at heart and very engaged.

I may have some basic misunderstanding on what "special needs" covers. Anyone know if there is a list out there that I can access?

The reason I'm asking is because as an older person, I and those in my age group need to be more clued in on what's going on. Many of us live here because taxes are low and the living is easy, or it used to be.

Now, you said "Honestly, as a tax payer, I don't mind paying higher taxes for better schools, roads, etc. I'm sure many on here would call me a whole host of names for that comment but it is what it is."

Yes, there are many people who wouldn't appreciate that, especially retired people who already went through raising families and paying high taxes and commuting to jobs, etc. They're living on savings, social security, and pensions that could disappear any minute, the way things are going out there. They're not going to want those higher taxes, that's for sure. OTOH, the social security they're living on comes out of the hides of younger people and they need to be reminded of this. I'm still working and paying myself, but my day is coming, lol.
That's very nice to say. Thank you.

When someone refers to kids/adults as "Special needs", this can encompass a range of things from ADHD/ADD to severe Autism or physical disability. Using my own personal definition, I would say it just means someone who needs help, whether minor or major. I am thankful that my definition means that my kids get a little extra time to complete tests and a few extra minutes of the day of addition curriculum support (math and reading/language) to make sure they grasp the concepts. I also deal with delay in maturity to a point (my almost 12 year old acts a lot more like a 10 - 10 1/2 year old). Other than that I consider myself VERY lucky that that is ALL I have to deal with. And yes, the older generation is receiving social security based on what someone of my age (38) is paying into now. I don't begrudge anyone for not wanting to pay higher taxes but I'm also of the belief that everyone, old and young, have a responsibility to help each other. It's just the right and moral thing to do as far as I'm concerned and I try to raise my kids to do likewise.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:22 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
hpotterfan77,

i hope you find great schools for your kids. just like anywhere, there are good ones and bad ones.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
hpotterfan77,

i hope you find great schools for your kids. just like anywhere, there are good ones and bad ones.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: