Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:02 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Have you BEEN to Orlando? They are ALL here.
Metro Orlando has a 33% Hispanic population, which includes Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, etc. Hardly what I'd call "ALL here."
Fact check before posting.
Also, why would you set up refugee camps for American citizens? And in Lake County???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
A lot of opportunity in Austin, and there is certainly enough room for the US to take as many people from PR as want to come. However, when they collect in a concentrated area it does become a strain on existing services.
It also becomes a grand opportunity if that human capital can be utilized. Orlando is used to very high growth rates and it can handle more people moving here for a better life.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:39 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Also, why would you set up refugee camps for American citizens? And in Lake County???
Well, no skills, no money, no plan for when they get here, no English. That's refugee. And in Lake County because Orange is full. We can't take anymore.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Well, no skills, no money, no plan for when they get here, no English. That's refugee. And in Lake County because Orange is full. We can't take anymore.
Search Results

ref·u·gee
ˌrefyo͝oˈjē/
noun
noun: refugee; plural noun: refugees
a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

I'm not getting the part where they're leaving their country.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,966,446 times
I feel so bad for those people who moved from Miami to Orlando trying to get away from immigrants. Now they have to move to Ocala until the next immigrant wave takes over that town also.

I have a feeling Joey Falcon is the one that is gonna have to relocate to Lake County. I heard they speak English there. I'm not sure though how educated people are there. Maybe they know a lot of stuff about the Bible.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Search Results

ref·u·gee
ˌrefyo͝oˈjē/
noun
noun: refugee; plural noun: refugees
a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

I'm not getting the part where they're leaving their country.
I've heard them themselves on WESH 2 refer to it as "their country" (PR). And how hard it is to leave their country to move to Orlando.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
This is not the issue. The issue is a large shift in population to specific areas, which can be overwhelming. We're talking about 3 million+ people, many of whom want to re-locate because of economic conditions, to two areas of the country, one of which is the Orlando area. A large, at-risk and needy population. Anyone who was in Miami during the time of the Mariel boatlift knows what the impact can be.

It would be wise for Tallahassee to prepare to accommodate this in as orderly a fashion as possible, but I doubt that will happen. These are people who will need housing, jobs, assistance, etc.
When Haiti had its earthquake everybody freaked out here in Miami that we were gonna get flooded with Haitians. We didn't. Mariel was a very different thing because the Cuban government was sending criminals on purpose. Most criminals are not smart enough to relocate by themselves.

I don't think not gonna get worse than what it already is, economically speaking. You will get a good amount of hardworking people and then those who don't want to work most likely will go back to the island when they figure out that they can't milk the system.

Of course socially this could have an impact. Those who don't like hearing Spanish might be annoyed like many non-hispanic whites are when they visit Miami. If those immigrants grew up speaking Spanish they will probably not speak English in public. I don't. I speak Spanish all day long in Miami, Orlando, Ocala, Brooksville and I'm not gonna stop because it's just not natural for me to speak English among friends and family. In that case those people who don't agree with those cultural changes they might wanna move further North if you cannot afford the English speaking areas of Orlando.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I've heard them themselves on WESH 2 refer to it as "their country" (PR). And how hard it is to leave their country to move to Orlando.
Here read this, they are not refugees:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common...._insular_area)

I thought you said the Puerto Ricans were the ignorant ones without education but it seems that maybe our education needs some reforms too, perhaps maps for everyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

Old 08-04-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

I thought you said the Puerto Ricans were the ignorant ones without education but it seems that maybe our education needs some reforms too, perhaps maps for everyone?

Well it's basically a third world country inside the US. We all know that.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:36 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

That was brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida