Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 13,053 times

Advertisements

Hi, originally from New England, which is called the ocean state, I have been here in Sarasota for 23 years, would never consider the East Coast, very high crime rate. And the beaches here a much cleaner. siesta key is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. beautiful white powdered sand. The only thing I dislike here in Sarasota. Are all the Midwest people. Not friendly. Very rude. And can't drive to save their lives. That's my observation of a working person that drives on service calls all day. The Midwest and people believe. It's OK to drive in all three Lanes. Ignorance that's all it is, they're just used to farm roads. Majority that live here are. illionis, Ohio, Indiana, so if you are from the East Coast north or south. You won't make friends here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysrajs View Post
Hi, originally from New England, which is called the ocean state, I have been here in Sarasota for 23 years, would never consider the East Coast, very high crime rate. And the beaches here a much cleaner. siesta key is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. beautiful white powdered sand. The only thing I dislike here in Sarasota. Are all the Midwest people. Not friendly. Very rude. And can't drive to save their lives. That's my observation of a working person that drives on service calls all day. The Midwest and people believe. It's OK to drive in all three Lanes. Ignorance that's all it is, they're just used to farm roads. Majority that live here are. illionis, Ohio, Indiana, so if you are from the East Coast north or south. You won't make friends here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beware.
To imply that the entire East Coast of Florida has a high crime rate is absurd. And the bad driving comment is probably the biggest cliché in the Florida forum.

I like the fact that a Northeastern transplant is ripping on Midwesterners' driving and social skills.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 AM

66 posts, read 207,413 times
East Coast = gritty dark sand (most beaches), murky waters, sharks, rocks, many dilapidated small towns, I HATE IT!

West Coast = powdery white sand, clear water, sting rays, amazing sand bars, gulf breeze, some beautiful towns and cities, I LOVE IT!

I'm a gulf streamer at heart, so my opinion is clearly biased. (Yes I understand the Gulf Stream is in the Atlantic, its just a saying)

Old 02-12-2011, 10:39 AM

75 posts, read 248,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhernandez48 View Post
East Coast = gritty dark sand (most beaches), murky waters, sharks, rocks, many dilapidated small towns, I HATE IT!

West Coast = powdery white sand, clear water, sting rays, amazing sand bars, gulf breeze, some beautiful towns and cities, I LOVE IT
If there is murky water and rocks anywhere it is on the gulf coast. Clearwater Beach water is murky and disgusting. Lot's of rocks and debris. It is a nice town though. I like to visit but I wouldn't live there.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 31,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Vineyards View Post
I have relatives on the west coast but lived on the east coast. I guess a lot depends on your concept of Florida. I like Vero Beach as it was right at the tropic line, less Palm trees and more Live Oaks, Spanish mosss Pine tree but a good deal of the "exoctic" southern Florida touch. Other then certain communities on both sides that are labeled senior havens, east has the ocean and Indian River which is a big boat paradise and the West has the bay which gives up some nice beaches and recreation for smaller boats. The difining differance to me is the West Coast is more Midwest and the East Coast is East Coast top to bottom and if you are New York mentality than you may find the west coast a little dissapointing. I realize I will recieve some flack on that issue but it is kinda like"Everyone" has heard of "Sex in the City", how many of us have heard of "Sex in the Country"??
I think this is the best post on this board topic. You summed it up acurate and precise.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 31,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysrajs View Post
I've lived in the midwest (Cleveland, Ohio) my entire life and totally disagree with your take on people from midwest. I have no idea where your concept of widwestern people came from but you can't judge a broad population of 3 or more states based on your encounter of a few that relocated to Sarasota. You sound like you may be a negative, judgemental and ignorant person yourself buddy!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 AM

378 posts, read 829,964 times
The water: east coast is colder, less clear, larger "waves. It's the Atlantic Ocean, similar to the Jersey shore water but a little warmer.
West coast gulf of Mexico, warmer often getting up to 90 degrees in the summer, much clearer, even translucent blue. Generally smaller waves except when large storms are near.

East Coast in general: If you're from a big city or its suburbs you may like the east coast of FL better. It's more developed, busier, stays open later than the west coast. If you're more into hustle bustle and nightlife than eating early bird dinner specials, a place along the east coast may suit you better.

West Coast: If you've lived in the country all your life and like a slower friendlier place, the west coast is probably a better bet. 2 counties with the highest average age are there. To live here it's best if you have a secure retirement income, are independently wealthy or earn income with a business that can be operated from anywhere because high paying jobs are scarce. If you eat dinner at 3pm and are sleeping by 8pm the west coast is for you.

Example: I traveled throughout Florida for over a decade. I run/jog almost everyday. Almost everybody on the bike paths or trails I passed while on the west coast will wave or greet you as you pass. I stopped saying hello when on the east coast because most people either ignored me, looked at me and said nothing or looked at me like I must be serial killer for saying "hi".

These are generalizations are there are always exceptions.

Last edited by alfbroker; 09-20-2011 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: word revisions

Old 02-15-2015, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 6,347 times
My husband and are are in our mid 50 early 60. Moving to florida from jersey in a few years. Been in Jersey all of my life. Leaning towards the west coast. Want an area with restaurants and bars, quaint and close to the beach . Any coments

Old 02-15-2015, 12:12 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
The water: east coast is colder, less clear, larger "waves. It's the Atlantic Ocean, similar to the Jersey shore water but a little warmer.
West coast gulf of Mexico, warmer often getting up to 90 degrees in the summer, much clearer, even translucent blue. Generally smaller waves except when large storms are near.

East Coast in general: If you're from a big city or its suburbs you may like the east coast of FL better. It's more developed, busier, stays open later than the west coast. If you're more into hustle bustle and nightlife than eating early bird dinner specials, a place along the east coast may suit you better.

West Coast: If you've lived in the country all your life and like a slower friendlier place, the west coast is probably a better bet. 2 counties with the highest average age are there. To live here it's best if you have a secure retirement income, are independently wealthy or earn income with a business that can be operated from anywhere because high paying jobs are scarce. If you eat dinner at 3pm and are sleeping by 8pm the west coast is for you.

Example: I traveled throughout Florida for over a decade. I run/jog almost everyday. Almost everybody on the bike paths or trails I passed while on the west coast will wave or greet you as you pass. I stopped saying hello when on the east coast because most people either ignored me, looked at me and said nothing or looked at me like I must be serial killer for saying "hi".

These are generalizations are there are always exceptions.
Broad generalizations,bordering on nonsense...

Old 02-15-2015, 01:47 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I think the parameters of the original question are too broad. The coastlines are too long and too many people come from too many places to make sweeping generalizations. For every assertion one poster makes, another can introduce an exception to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida