Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times

Advertisements

I am looking to check out the towns of Wauchula and Bowling Green FL. Does anyone have any info? Crime? All I know is they are very rural which is fine but are they safe? What are things to do there? Stores, entertainment? Closest movie theater, bowling alley, roller rink etc?

Thanks for the info,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,433 times
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Hi Lisa,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] I am a fairly recent resident of Wauchula, moved here in June of '07. In answer to your questions, I think you can find the crime statistics online, but it seems like a relatively safe place. There is not a whole lot to do here. I have kids and we are involved at church, at the YMCA (soccer and karate), my daughter takes piano lessons, etc. There are other sports leagues, such as baseball, softball, football and cheerleading. For adults, there really isn't a ton going on. We do have a bowling alley in town. The closest movie theater is in Sebring, about a half hour away, but I prefer to drive to Lakeland which is under an hour and has nicer theaters. We don't have a lot of restaurants, although we have the full fast-food smorgasbord. We have a Super Wal-Mart, several food stores, hardware stores, dollar stores and a new Sears that just opened. Again, we drive to Sebring or Lakeland to go to a mall or to find a wider variety of stores. There are some small town events that everyone seems to go to such as the Homecoming parade, Christmas parade, and a downtown Barbecue contest. I think lots of people go to the high school athletic events, but we haven’t tried them. Hope that is helpful.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]-Tom[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 03-02-2008, 05:29 PM

8 posts, read 53,054 times
We live in Sebring and go to Wauchula quite a bit. It is a nice town, small with not alot of modern big box type places which is what we like. The pioneer park is closeby and they hold events alot, one there now is the big Passion Play which we hope to go to.

The wal-mart is nice, has different stuff than ours and just the town is more laid back and sweeter. I am not sure aobut the job situation there because everyone I have known from there worked in Sebring or Avon Park... but do a google and something should show for you.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,236 times
Default wauchula

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am looking to check out the towns of Wauchula and Bowling Green FL. Does anyone have any info? Crime? All I know is they are very rural which is fine but are they safe? What are things to do there? Stores, entertainment? Closest movie theater, bowling alley, roller rink etc?

Thanks for the info,
Lisa

lisa,

there is nothing to do there in wauchula except eat out. in order to go to movies or malls you would have to go to lakeland or sebring. the bad thing about wauchula is that it is loaded with foreigners because of orange picking and other things. i lived there for a while but wouldnt go back, in other wards it is run over by [MOD CUT].

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 08-08-2008 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: racist remark not allowed

Old 08-05-2008, 02:15 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
Well now for another point of view. I am a native of Wauchula. Now before you begin to wonder I was born before the babies were mixed up. Now Wauchula at one time was claimed to be the Cucumber Capitol of the world. My grandfarther grew them for a living during the great depression. Yes there are a lot of migrant workers in season. There are out lying areas of farm land that is mostly now in tomatoes, eggplant, and squash in addition to citrus. Now those crops are not mechanically harvested. If we are going to have them in the market someone has to bend over and to the work. I pass through Wauchula every once in a while and I feel a lot safer there than in anyone's large city. I'm very near to Bowling Green which is just a long walk north of Wauchula. Neither place is big city life. If you want a place to smell the roses you found it. Not far from beautiful beaches when you have the urges to smell the salt air and maybe wet a hook for a tasty dinner. IMHO the glass is way over half full if you like simple living without the traffic jams of the big city. Some scenic photos of the beaches and inland area can be found on this CD thread. Enjoy. I love your TN thread BTW.

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ml#post4706482

Old 08-05-2008, 02:56 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
Wachuala...lol

I had to go to a wedding there a couple of months ago. My wife lived there for 2-3 years. Entering Wachuala was like entering the twilight zone. [MOD CUT] lot's of run down places. Typical old Florida. There are no restaurants to go to at night...only fast food is open and their fast food is not fast..I had to wait 35 minutes in line with 4 cars in front of me at this Subway that had a drive thru at 11pm at night.

When we went to get gas during the day, I guess we hit a gas station that was right on the edge of a black ghetto and we were harassed by some black kids piled in the back of a pick up truck.

Bowling green is a little nice and more safe from what I have seen and heard....the wedding reception was at this nice country club in Bowling Green...forgot the name of it.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 08-07-2008 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: racist remark

Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,920 times
Went to college with a guy from Wauchula. He used to crack me up. When people asked where he was from, he'd say "Wauchula, by God!" but it came out like "Wauchulabaagawd." I always figured he was proud of his town & dared anybody to make fun of him or it. His family had been there forever, just good old southern folk.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:31 AM

93 posts, read 370,928 times
Default Going Off Grid in East Tennessee

For those of you not familiar with YoungLisa7...She and her husband are building a berm home in Johnson City, TN. Her thread title is mentioned above in the Tennessee forum.

She has totally enthalled everyone with her and hubby Mike's adventures along with pictures of all they have accomplished. Absolutely awesome thread.

If you can take the time to read through, her writings totally captivates you with all their hard work. Way to go Lisa!!! Your view is just out of this world!

Sorry this isn't about Wauchula and I know nothing about the town but I had to share the info. once I saw who posted.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,656 times
well I've been thinking about investing in Wauchula housing market. I know its a rural area with old floridian natives. No matter where you go you will find yucky people of all colors. If anyone knows about multifamily properties for sale in Wauchula FL please let me know. I plan to visit the little city soon

Old 04-16-2011, 10:30 PM

210 posts, read 664,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Went to college with a guy from Wauchula. He used to crack me up. When people asked where he was from, he'd say "Wauchula, by God!" but it came out like "Wauchulabaagawd." I always figured he was proud of his town & dared anybody to make fun of him or it. His family had been there forever, just good old southern folk.
haha great story sounds like a guy i'd get along with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida