Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 2,923 times

Advertisements

I am graduating from USF and I got a job offer at winter haven. I noticed winter haven was nice, but it had a older population. I am currently a single guy in my late twenties and would like to be somewhere where there is a younger population. I am not much of a club guy, but i do like to have a decent night life and things to do on the weekend. Would a commute from the southern end of orlando be difficult or is there somewhere else i can look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:37 PM

299 posts, read 378,111 times
You can certainly commute from Orlando. If on the southern side by the airport, make sure you can traverse on non toll roads daily. You could certainly live in Lakeland and you are close enough to Tampa for entertainment, or even stay in Lakeland, there are things to do...

Old 12-04-2015, 08:39 PM

301 posts, read 368,721 times
Winter Haven is a great place to live. Everywhere has drawbacks. Good and bad. Stay in WH as the only drawback is the older folks. If you move to O-Town or Tmpa then you got big city issues. Look for the balance in life. You can't have it all besides older people are giving and they offer wise advice. Learn to appreciate them. "Respect your elders" as my father always said.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:46 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,525,681 times
I'd consider Lakeland. There's plenty to do there and close to your work. I moved to Lakeland from Tampa last year and glad I did.

Are you from AL. ?

Old 12-05-2015, 06:59 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I think Lakeland is a good compromise. Easy drive into WH for work, and not too bad to go to Tampa or Orlando for weekend entertainment. Lakeland has a lot going on in itself, way more than WH. Don't live too far from work, it is easier to commute to entertainment.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:02 PM

i definitely will check out lakeland. I like to be outdoors and what i mean by nightlife is nice low key places to get a beer and food and listen to live music. I am not looking for an ybor city nightlife or miami, just some cool places to hang on a friday night. Speaking of Lakeland, where are some of the nicer areas to live?

Old 12-06-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I'd consider Lakeland. There's plenty to do there and close to your work. I moved to Lakeland from Tampa last year and glad I did.

Are you from AL. ?
I am originally from Birmingham. I wanted a change of ceremony, so i went to usf for grad. What do you like most about lakeland?

Old 12-06-2015, 06:12 PM

301 posts, read 368,721 times
Lakeland is far from WH.... The two cities are very different -- I'd choose WH any day over Lakeland.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:37 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,525,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Marv View Post
I am originally from Birmingham. I wanted a change of ceremony, so i went to usf for grad. What do you like most about lakeland?
I grew up in Tampa, it got too congested for me. Moved to Lakeland (lake Gibson) last year. I like it because its a little slower paced, less traffic. I still go to Tampa almost every weekend to hang out w/ friends, its about a 35 min ride.

Winterhaven is nice but I think someone your age might like Lakeland better. You just need to check the areas out yourself.

(I asked if you were from AL because my moms side is from Laceys Spring across the river from Huntsville. I use to spend the summers there when I was young. Grandparents had land/farm up there. My mom and her sisters inherited and have the farm now. Always thought about moving there).

Good luck to you!

Old 12-06-2015, 08:31 PM

299 posts, read 378,111 times
I live on the south side of Lakeland. Easy commute to Winter Haven. There is more for you to do in Lakeland as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida