Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 6,089 times

Advertisements

Sorry this is kind of long and some things are out of place, things kept popping into my head and I was writing this.

I'm 28 and live on the Outer Banks of NC, I've lived here my entire life. I've been trying to decide if I should stay here in NC or move to FL and see what I can make happen, but I can not decide what to do. I've thought about moving to FL for years and now the idea has come back. The area in FL I would move to is Inverness. I know a guy that has a few rentals there and I could take one for $400 plus electric. If I go a friend will likely come with me so rent would only be $200.

If I go and accomplish my goals I would eventually move to a different area, I've always been interested in Tampa, Fort Myers and Cape Coral. I'm constantly researching all of Florida, the taxes, jobs, crime, everything I can think of.

I've been working the same retail job for a long time and will be getting laid off in about a month. It's pretty hard to find good, year round work here because nearly every job is seasonal and based on tourism. From November/December to March/April there are a lot of people being laid off. Since I'll be getting laid off soon and haven't found winter work yet I'm thinking about moving to Florida and giving it a shot.

The reasons for considering Florida are; it seems there are more opportunities for work than here, it's hot outside all year so I can be outside and fish(I hate when it gets cold like it already is), there's more to do, more schools, no state income tax(though I've been reading other taxes are high), and I've been wanting to move somewhere and start new.
The reason I'm not 100% on Florida is mostly because some of my family is here(mom, dad, sisters, grandma, few others). Also because I'm familiar with the area and have friends here. I'm also somewhat worried about finding work in FL since I don't have anything lined up. The landlord down there has told me about some jobs in the area though. I would have enough money for a few months if I don't find work right away. If things don't work out I can move back here.

If I move to Florida I would go to a part time EMT/Fire school and try to find work as either an EMT or Firefighter, this would take about 2 years depending on the program. I've been looking a lot at different schools that offer these classes there. If that doesn't work out I will go to school for a different degree or certificate. If I stay here I will do the same Fire school, it would take 1 year here, but the amount of departments and opportunity is much lower than Florida because it's such a small area.

I'd like to get some input from anyone I can. Let me know pros/cons of Florida. If this sounds like a terrible idea, etc. The few people I've talked to about it have told me to go for it. I talked to a couple people I know from Sanibel Island and they said "don't think about it, just go, it's great". They love fishing as much as I do so that's part of their reasoning, and they said how cheap some things are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 03:05 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
The waiting list to get on as an EMT is ridiculously long. So do your homework on that.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:22 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I hope you can handle the humidity. I moved from FL to NC a few months ago, but I'd never do that move in reverse.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:43 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
You're probably living in the worst possible part of NC in terms of employment opportunities and you would be moving to a similar area in Florida. Not the best route to getting ahead...

Have you considered staying in NC and instead moving to an area where the economy/job opportunities are much better such as Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte or even Greensboro-Winston Salem?

Old 11-26-2015, 06:56 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Fla has so many fire schools and they charge away too much bc they know ppl keep signing up. Look at tuition costs for fire school in NC vs FL. They charge a lot more in FL. Good career for sure but FL has a ton of hopefuls coming thru these schools and it can take yrs to get hired on. try Asheville nc. They train you and put you thru school. Much better place to live than FL.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:15 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Fla has so many fire schools and they charge away too much bc they know ppl keep signing up. Look at tuition costs for fire school in NC vs FL. They charge a lot more in FL. Good career for sure but FL has a ton of hopefuls coming thru these schools and it can take yrs to get hired on. try Asheville nc. They train you and put you thru school. Much better place to live than FL.
Remember he hates the COLD. Asheville is very cold, and an expensive place to live. I do not recommend it for the OP.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You're probably living in the worst possible part of NC in terms of employment opportunities and you would be moving to a similar area in Florida. Not the best route to getting ahead...

Have you considered staying in NC and instead moving to an area where the economy/job opportunities are much better such as Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte or even Greensboro-Winston Salem?
I've thought about other areas on the coast here, but not inland. I live in Greenville for a bit and in CT, I can't live inland, I'll go insane. It gets colder and for longer, and there is no ocean. Where ever I live I need to be close to the ocean, I've always told myself I will never live far from it since I grew up by it and that's where I spend my outdoors time. And going to Greenville and CT made me realize I really can't. I'm always outside during the summer and love to be on the ocean and fishing, that's part of why Florida interests me, since I can be outside year round.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Your idea of living by the ocean wont happen in Inverness, while the Gulf may look close on a map its basically inaccessible in that neck of the woods,
Your best bet for fishing in the area is the many freshwater lakes.
Not a big place (pop 7000) so not much in the way of jobs.
Also forget Tampa if Oceanside is important and instead focus on St Petersburg.

Last edited by jambo101; 11-26-2015 at 09:30 AM..

Old 11-26-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Your idea of living by the ocean wont happen in Inverness, while the Gulf may look close on a map its basically inaccessible in that neck of the woods,

I know inverness isn't near the water. I would be staying in inverness because of the cheap rental, then after school and I would look for work in a different area and move.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:16 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just get on SR 44 west bound. 30 miles and you're at Ft. Island. Nice sandy beach. Totally accessible from Inverness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida