Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 11:35 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Florida is Florida... For better or for worse. I certainly don't think many parts of it are "socially liberal." That seems pretty far fetched, especially given the demographics of the state.

Geographically, Florida is in the south, just as is Nola, Atlanta, Nashville, Charleston, Charlotte, etc etc. The south is a different animal today. Economics have caused rapid diversity of many southern cities. For instance, Atlanta has a huge Asian population, particularly Korean. Does that make it less southern? Maybe, or maybe the south is just evolving like literally every other place on earth ... Outside of maybe North Korea
Evolving. That is a fact. Nothing remains the same. Outside maybe N. Korea.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:36 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Then u should up date your profile.........

8,628 posts, read 2,473,272 times
I was kidding.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
It's both good and bad. The good is you're not harassed by annoying police. The bad, neither are the criminals, homeless, and drunkards who then proceed to make life annoying for everyone else.
Oh, believe me, we have plenty of criminals, homeless, and drunkards here in California. I can't speak to Santa Monica, specifically, but the Los Angeles metro area has a huge problem with homeless people setting up their tents on the sidewalk. We have the same problem up in San Jose where I live. Perhaps the reason why cops in Santa Monica hand out tickets for every little thing is precisely because those tickets send a message to those types of people that they're not welcome. Everyone else tolerates it because it's better than having hordes of homeless camping out on your sidewalks.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Oh, believe me, we have plenty of criminals, homeless, and drunkards here in California. I can't speak to Santa Monica, specifically, but the Los Angeles metro area has a huge problem with homeless people setting up their tents on the sidewalk. We have the same problem up in San Jose where I live. Perhaps the reason why cops in Santa Monica hand out tickets for every little thing is precisely because those tickets send a message to those types of people that they're not welcome. Everyone else tolerates it because it's better than having hordes of homeless camping out on your sidewalks.
Well, Ive never seen a homeless person (or anyone) putting up a tent on a sidewalk here in FL.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I was kidding.

I thought you were.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:44 AM

122 posts, read 113,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
O Great Arbitor of all that is Southern... please enlighten us on what is "Southern."

Would a Jew from Charleston be non-Southern because he is not British descended or African descended protestant?

Would an Italian (really Sicilian) descended guy who grew up in rural North Florida on a collard green farm be Southern? He does have a real heavy Southern accent and is very Country but his Great Grandparents were Catholics, but his parents were Southern Baptist; He also looks swarthy, so maybe honorary Southerner?

Please clarify

They should read about ol' New Orleans!! Creoles are the epitome of the south, and they were not squatters from the north!

Old 05-15-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Florida culturally is NOT the South, Regionally it is. Florida is more like California-Oregon in culture that it is like Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi. Florida is nothing like the rest of the south.

And really..I would invite those "native Floridians" to read history, they would discover they are very recent transplants.

The only real Floridians are Seminole, they are from Northern Florida. Second come Spanish and Minorcan descendants, then English settlers that left because they hated "colonials". Not southern, never was.

Read about Seminole wars, Pensacola, San Agustin, Jackson and don't "create history".

Old Florida? Incredible!!

Old 05-15-2016, 08:05 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Fla culturally like CA and Oregon?????? Wth. Ummmmm..no, certainly not Oregon!

Old 05-15-2016, 10:42 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Florida is Florida... For better or for worse. I certainly don't think many parts of it are "socially liberal." That seems pretty far fetched, especially given the demographics of the state.

Geographically, Florida is in the south, just as is Nola, Atlanta, Nashville, Charleston, Charlotte, etc etc. The south is a different animal today. Economics have caused rapid diversity of many southern cities. For instance, Atlanta has a huge Asian population, particularly Korean. Does that make it less southern? Maybe, or maybe the south is just evolving like literally every other place on earth ... Outside of maybe North Korea
All those cities you mention are still mostly southern. Atlanta in particular gets the bulk of its transplants from other southern states. And those cities you mentioned are all surrounded by a sea of Southern.

Most of floridas transplants are from the north and Latin America, very few are from the American south. Those Koreans in Atlanta will probably be southernized over time. Florida is moving in a much different direction and has been for nearly 100 years.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:07 AM

Southern transplants are transplants that came recently, no more than 120 years ago at the most, maybe less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida