Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 07:53 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times

Advertisements

A 93 yo relative finally agreed last year to let us sell his place, furnished, in a 55+ mobile home park in Daytona Beach. Of course the place is 50 years old. It's been listed with the park, cheap ($7000 and willing to go much lower) and still no takers. I'm not totally surprised. While this is happening he is still paying the land rent monthly for a place that hasn't been used in over two years. So what to do? There's a fee to the park to basically abandon it and have them tear it out. At first it sounded high but when balanced against 4-5 months worth of land rent, maybe it isn't such a bad idea for walking away. If we do that, then what's the best way to get rid of the contents? One huge yard sale? Or are there places that will basically come and take it all away, without charging another arm and leg for that? Of course all us relatives live in the northeast although we are down here in southwest Florida right now and can stop over there on our way home.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this that we haven't thought of or some of thoughts on just paying up to tear down and walk away are appreciated.

I feel this is a good example of why an "endgame" planning needs to be in place when someone is snow birding. It is something I know we are keeping in mind for ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 05:54 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
A 93 yo relative finally agreed last year to let us sell his place, furnished, in a 55+ mobile home park in Daytona Beach. Of course the place is 50 years old. It's been listed with the park, cheap ($7000 and willing to go much lower) and still no takers. I'm not totally surprised. While this is happening he is still paying the land rent monthly for a place that hasn't been used in over two years. So what to do? There's a fee to the park to basically abandon it and have them tear it out. At first it sounded high but when balanced against 4-5 months worth of land rent, maybe it isn't such a bad idea for walking away. If we do that, then what's the best way to get rid of the contents? One huge yard sale? Or are there places that will basically come and take it all away, without charging another arm and leg for that? Of course all us relatives live in the northeast although we are down here in southwest Florida right now and can stop over there on our way home.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this that we haven't thought of or some of thoughts on just paying up to tear down and walk away are appreciated.

I feel this is a good example of why an "endgame" planning needs to be in place when someone is snow birding. It is something I know we are keeping in mind for ourselves.
When my father in law died in FT Meyers we sold the trailer to the park and they used it as a rental. Check with them.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:21 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
You may have restrictions as to garage sales in the park (1 park-wide sale every 6 months, etc). There are companies that do estate sales, come in and mark the stuff, but charge 25-50% of proceeds. Ask the park.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:51 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,525,681 times
You could call some thrift stores to come buy the stuff.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
When my father in law died in FT Meyers we sold the trailer to the park and they used it as a rental. Check with them.
We already asked and they aren't doing that, but for a fee, they will tear it out and relieve you of any more rent fees. We need to start making more phone calls, but the first ones will be back to the park and asking them more questions. Maybe with the end of the contract of their selling it coming up, and the possibility that we will pay to walk away, they may have more incentive to try to unload, I mean sell, it for us so they will continue to get rent for the lot.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:10 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
If the home doesn't have leaks and is still livable post it on Craigslist for $1000 and maybe someone will be desperate for a place and will buy it

Old 01-28-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If the home doesn't have leaks and is still livable post it on Craigslist for $1000 and maybe someone will be desperate for a place and will buy it
Does that actually work or does it bring out the scams? I've used CL a lot for both buying and selling furniture with good luck in another part of the country. I just wasn't sure for something like this. It may be worth trying as while it is old and does need work done on it, it is also very livable right now.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Does that actually work or does it bring out the scams? I've used CL a lot for both buying and selling furniture with good luck in another part of the country. I just wasn't sure for something like this. It may be worth trying as while it is old and does need work done on it, it is also very livable right now.
It works, they have to qualify with the park first, and the park should check them out to see that they can pay the lot rent, make sure the park will let you sell it to another person. I don't see why not because it will give them extra lot rent to collect. When you sell it go with the people to the DMV to have the title switched to their name, and then get the electric and other bills out of your father's name.

Try selling if for $3K and then you have room to negotiate down. It depends how much the lot rent is and if it's a trailer park on a dirt road or a mobile home community. There should not be any scams, just post it and have people call you to see the place or have them email you and you will give them your number to call you.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:17 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Exclamation Bygone Era...

I'm not aware of hardly ANY more trailer parks left in Daytona Beach city limits! The State signed off on insurance companies no longer having to cover them as a "residence" for homeowners policies about 20 years ago. Most local codes consider them "dangerous" to inhabit -- esp. from hurricane disasters in the past.

I'd say WALK AWAY as most people don't want them in urban areas any more -- esp. when they can't get insurance coverage or resell them!

Some cities also won't allow new owners either as existing owners are "grandfathered" in to stay after they were outlawed -- but NOT to resell. You need to check too if it's allowed.

Also, some trailer parks are being cited additional service fees from governments based on number of residents for local services like fire, police, etc. -- in addition to "park" fees -- making them less attractive when compared to other rental or owner options.

Most trailers/manufactured homes in Florida are now only found on large parcels in rural areas (or in grandfathered parks) where zoning codes will allow them and are now mostly self-insured.

This also makes it more interesting if you're offered a trailer/manufactured home that's seller financed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: