Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 10:11 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Why so catty? Rumor has it the CDC is going to declare the e-coli outbreak miraculously solved, which ought to send Chipotle stock to the moon!
It just annoys me when people think companies are in the business of providing charity and not in the business of making money.
You get annoyed because Disney was going to lay off people and replace them with other people who could do the same thing for a lot less money.
Granted, I get annoyed when I call a tech support number and I speak to "Bob" in India and there's a language barrier, but that's beside the point.
The only way Disney is going to suffer from bad pub is if they somehow get tied to supporting isis or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 11:43 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
It just annoys me when people think companies are in the business of providing charity and not in the business of making money.
You get annoyed because Disney was going to lay off people and replace them with other people who could do the same thing for a lot less money.
Granted, I get annoyed when I call a tech support number and I speak to "Bob" in India and there's a language barrier, but that's beside the point.
The only way Disney is going to suffer from bad pub is if they somehow get tied to supporting isis or something like that.
First of all, I don't think companies are in the business of charity, and I certainly don't consider paying people well for a job well done is charity. As to whether these "other people" can do the same thing for a lot less money, I'm not so sure that's true. We'll have to see. I don't consider language barriers to be beside the point. Communication matters, in fact it is the lifeblood of business. And I also consider that how employees are treated is a good measure of how customers are treated. I know a guy who is an airplane mechanic. Much of that is "outsourced" to people who don't understand English, yet must deal with manuals written in English. Of course, the "captains of industry" don't use them for their private planes, the Gulfstreams and such. That should tell you something.

I also don't think government should be in the business of picking winners and losers. H1-B visa program is one way this is done, although I grant you that Disney pays a LOT in taxes to Florida.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:48 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
First of all, I don't think companies are in the business of charity, and I certainly don't consider paying people well for a job well done is charity. As to whether these "other people" can do the same thing for a lot less money, I'm not so sure that's true. We'll have to see. I don't consider language barriers to be beside the point. Communication matters, in fact it is the lifeblood of business. And I also consider that how employees are treated is a good measure of how customers are treated. I know a guy who is an airplane mechanic. Much of that is "outsourced" to people who don't understand English, yet must deal with manuals written in English. Of course, the "captains of industry" don't use them for their private planes, the Gulfstreams and such. That should tell you something.

I also don't think government should be in the business of picking winners and losers. H1-B visa program is one way this is done, although I grant you that Disney pays a LOT in taxes to Florida.
It is happening in Universities all aver the Country as well. The American professors are being fired, etc and professors from other Countries are being hired at way less money. One major and well known University has just a handful of American Professor working for them. Oh, the leadership is still all American as their pay goes up because of this. It is happening everywhere.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:20 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
I know a guy who is an airplane mechanic. Much of that is "outsourced" to people who don't understand English, yet must deal with manuals written in English. Of course, the "captains of industry" don't use them for their private planes, the Gulfstreams and such. That should tell you something.

I am a computer scientist that writes tech manuals for the DoD and other aviation-specific prime contractors, and I can assure you that none of the companies like Boeing, Lockheed, Gulfstream, etc., do any outsourcing. They source to American subcontractors, who sometimes sub out, but it's frowned upon.

I myself worked for Gulfstream, and those planes are American-made right here in the U.S., and we worked alongside the mechanics making sure their tech manuals were the way they wanted them.

If your friend has an issue with his tech manuals being written by someone from India (for example), perhaps he should consider moving up to a better aircraft made by an American company on American soil.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I am a computer scientist that writes tech manuals for the DoD and other aviation-specific prime contractors, and I can assure you that none of the companies like Boeing, Lockheed, Gulfstream, etc., do any outsourcing. They source to American subcontractors, who sometimes sub out, but it's frowned upon.

I myself worked for Gulfstream, and those planes are American-made right here in the U.S., and we worked alongside the mechanics making sure their tech manuals were the way they wanted them.

If your friend has an issue with his tech manuals being written by someone from India (for example), perhaps he should consider moving up to a better aircraft made by an American company on American soil.
I'm not talking about tech manuals being written in India, I'm talking about non-English speakers, supposedly "mechanics", working with manuals written in English. He himself is in demand and has a lot of work, because he's an English speaking American with years of experience. And what you said about American subs who "sub out" is exactly what he told me.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is happening in Universities all aver the Country as well. The American professors are being fired, etc and professors from other Countries are being hired at way less money. One major and well known University has just a handful of American Professor working for them. Oh, the leadership is still all American as their pay goes up because of this. It is happening everywhere.
It's a race to the bottom except for those at the top. However, their little pop stand can crumble, too.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:31 PM

Anyway, I think it's important to remember the old adage, "You get what you pay for". I have often found this to be true.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:37 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
This is why corporations need regulation - to protect the interests of the working class American citizen, not CEOs and a shareholders' board. And corporations flock to Florida because we have virtually no regulation at all.
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs?

Old 02-01-2016, 12:40 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Or if the IT workers who are now running the show do such a poor job that it impacts park operations.

It's one thing to outsource/offshore work, it's another to do it and get the same level of quality you were getting before.

Having said that, and having benefited from the H1B visa in the past, it IS abused in many cases. This is probably one of them as stock standard run-of-the-mill IT operations doesn't require special knowledge not available in Orlando.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Why? At a time when Americans and many Floridians are under financial stress, Disney fires 250 workers in Florida and if that wasn't enough, forces them to train their replacements from India if they want to get their severance pay. I find this beyond disgusting, and bad for the state, especially the Orlando area.

Heres a few more companies/corporations you can add to your boycott.
http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou....a/content.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida