Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 05:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...561128,00.html

Read This!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 07:04 PM

Default And of course the ever popular

http://www.pkblogs.com/florida-paradiselost/ (broken link)

Welcome to "paradise" and buy the POS of the week!!

Old 11-20-2006, 08:34 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I don't see how people making $33k a year are buying $373k homes! And only a 45 percent graduation rate? Wow! I'm glad moving to Miami was never a thought for me...

Old 11-21-2006, 08:21 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
My reaction to the Miami article was "Ho-hum"; nothing new there, except maybe the acknowledgement that crime is down (so much for all the posters on this forum who love to scream, "Crime is up horrendously...").

The article said that more people are leaving Miami than are arriving from other parts of the U.S. Because of the number of people arriving from the Caribbean, Central and South America, the population is still growing. There is nothing new about that. Thirty years ago, the joke was, "Will the last American leaving Miami bring the flag with them?"

Miami has a well-deserved reputation for folks moving in from countries to the South, working extremely hard under nearly impossible circumstances, and becoming very successful. Some of those rich folks taking their breakfast cruises on their yachts, as mentioned in the article, are first-generation descendants of Cuban immigrants, for example.

Is the city perfect? Of course not. Is any city in the U.S. perfect? Do none of the others have low income residents? Are all of the others better at planning?

Ho-hum.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:19 AM

Yes and as we know most big money comming into Miami is under the table. Drugs, bribes, medical schemes, it's the way things work. As for me I am thinking of moving more than ever as the cooler weather has cleared my mind and I am working at close to 100% without the usual heat and humidity that brings one down. I refuse to become a drug dealer, lawyer or doctor just to stay in this h e l l hole.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:03 PM

29 posts, read 154,579 times
tallrick, after reading the site you had posted, and due to the seriousness of us putting our house on the market for more than 2.5 times what we paid for it, and deciding whether to move to north Florida or TN, this site has me a little intimidated. Why should we upgrade from our current living conditions only to pay more to the government? Is it because our new neighbor from Ft. Lauderdale brought all of his drugs and weapons when he moved here and we no longer feel safe in our own home? Because we think we can be much happier in the long run? I am more concerned now about realestate, ins. and taxes than ever. We have 3 horses, so that means 1) we need ag property 2) we are going to pay through the nose for it if we stay here 3) it would be essentially beyond affordability to keep them. We have been doing a lot of research on moving to TN, where the housing and property are affordable and the taxes and insurance appears to be cheap. Even the medical ins. appears to be a whole lot less. If this is a general consensus of why people are leaving, why are people still flocking here?

Old 11-21-2006, 12:16 PM

68 posts, read 226,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost one View Post
tallrick, after reading the site you had posted, and due to the seriousness of us putting our house on the market for more than 2.5 times what we paid for it, and deciding whether to move to north Florida or TN, this site has me a little intimidated. Why should we upgrade from our current living conditions only to pay more to the government? Is it because our new neighbor from Ft. Lauderdale brought all of his drugs and weapons when he moved here and we no longer feel safe in our own home? Because we think we can be much happier in the long run? I am more concerned now about realestate, ins. and taxes than ever. We have 3 horses, so that means 1) we need ag property 2) we are going to pay through the nose for it if we stay here 3) it would be essentially beyond affordability to keep them. We have been doing a lot of research on moving to TN, where the housing and property are affordable and the taxes and insurance appears to be cheap. Even the medical ins. appears to be a whole lot less. If this is a general consensus of why people are leaving, why are people still flocking here?

why are people still flocking here? If your from the north all you know is Florida. post cards, beach front, babes, sun all the time, it took years to build the market. Remember the joke I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you. Today it still works. and in 2-5 years the new is gone and they move away. I have been here all my life and see it all the time. Its all about sales.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:22 PM

243 posts, read 1,096,814 times
The unemployment rate in Broward hit 2.8%, 4.2% in Dade. The state average is now around 3%, itself far below the national average. Believe it or not, the #1 reason for relocation is jobs, and believe it or not there's lots of jobs here. The great weather and beaches are just gravy. But of course smiling faces and the MTV Cribs lifestyle awaits you elsewhere so you'd all better get the heck outta here. Before the illegals and sexual predators get ahold of you. Run!

Old 11-21-2006, 12:29 PM

68 posts, read 226,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
The unemployment rate in Broward hit 2.8%, 4.2% in Dade. The state average is now around 3%, itself far below the national average. Believe it or not, the #1 reason for relocation is jobs, and believe it or not there's lots of jobs here. The great weather and beaches are just gravy. But of course smiling faces and the MTV Cribs lifestyle awaits you elsewhere so you'd all better get the heck outta here. Before the illegals and sexual predators get ahold of you. Run!
Like I said its about Sales.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:35 PM

29 posts, read 154,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
The unemployment rate in Broward hit 2.8%, 4.2% in Dade. The state average is now around 3%, itself far below the national average. Believe it or not, the #1 reason for relocation is jobs, and believe it or not there's lots of jobs here.
I have a great job with a great company, and security. If we try upgrading our home to more property and/or a better house, then it won't matter how good the job or security is, the taxes and insurance will ruin us; not the mortgage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida