Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 11:50 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If he's chill and likes The Keys, why not Key Largo? He can zip up to MIA when needed for travel and live a pretty chill life surrounded by water. Car trips to other islands in The Keys, all the way to Key West, are pretty easy. If he likes to bike ride, he can even do that from Key to Key.
Please, God, no.

Note the requirements:

*2) 2 Car Garage
*3) Near / Or on the Beach
*4) Quiet / Mannered / Professional Adults
His budget is $600k -- $900k.

There is no such thing as a legal 2-car garage anywhere in the Keys, near or on a beach, in that price range. Garages are generally illegal because the vast majority of the Keys are below flood, so you can't legally enclose ground-level space unless you are living in one of the less desirable dry lot locations near the highway. And there is no such thing as quiet, professional adults anywhere in the Keys at any price range. This is a party county, and for someone looking to date, it is terrible. He will be one of a majority of 50+ single white men here - so if he's looking to date women, and if he wants them classy or stable, he's generally going to be out of luck. Also, apparently the father is not liberal, and might be on the racist side (possible from the comments but not confirmed), and thus anywhere in the Keys would be a terrible idea. This same poster had a problem with Cuban culture on another thread, and there are plenty of Cubans throughout Monroe County, not to mention gay people, Black Caribbean and African-America folks, and a TON of very liberal people. New Cubans are landing here in the Keys by the dozens in boats every week. And we have very few beaches in the entire island chain. So I don't see how really any of Monroe County would be a good fit for what OP is looking for.

Palm Beach County sounds like it might be much a better fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
Went to Vero twice for a couple days and it seemed like its a much older town than 50. Maybe I wasn't in the right place. Would this be a place to meet a single person in their 40's or young 50's, not 65 and up? Thank you!

Old 04-03-2016, 05:29 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Fort Lauderdale, where the boys are, that song is old enough that the men are in their 70's and 80's or they are dead. Your dad will love it there.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:09 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
What the hell are you even talking about? Your "dad" is a middle aged man. NEITHER Of us are 20 something OR married. So I guess you needed to state "ONLY SINGLE MALES NEED RESPOND".

You think you've got it all figured out. With your 3 post history on City Data. Why don't you focus on the goal you claim you have instead of making rude personal comments. Not to mention the RUDE unappreciative response after someone takes the time to write you a War and Peace reply.

Someone who targets fishing, golf, boating and owning/piloting their own plane with the highest percentage of CEOs is DEFINITELY targeting middle aged married female interests? Albeit I know PLENTY of females with those interests but you wouldn't have a clue.

I hit every point on your questionable weak vague wishlist. I even gave you an equidistant point from the ONLY TWO "major" airports in the area you mentioned. PROTIP: We people who TRAVEL actually KNOW to say INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT not "major airport".

I'll note that you didn't name a single INTEREST of your "dad". Or any criteria different than any other new random Florida "move to Florida" member. Of any gender.

If you have SOMETHING SPECIFIC, you need to SAY IT. ie "young chick booty call like you find in the CLASSY Quiet / Mannered / Professional Adults DAYTONA BEACH SHORES" - a 5 mile stretch of stacked high rises.

Of course "dad" seems to LIKE the wall to wall stacked highrises since he lives in FLL and LIKES Daytona Beach Shores. We PROHIBIT THEM here, in Vero Beach for a reason.

Daytona Beach Shores is 50% age 65 or older.

BTW, apparently your "dad", a RENTER, DOES have some issues if he lives in Florida but needs a bunch of strangers to talk him into "where to move".

Yes I'm a female. UNMARRIED FOR MANY DECADES. In YOUR DAD'S age group. LIBERALS? LMFAO, yeah ok. It's YOUR "dad" who doesn't mind living in Liberal central not me. But HE'S a RENTER so he doesn't care about all of we taxpayers who have to pay for Debbie Wasserman-Schultz having local law enforcement carrying her bags through the airport.

And the CORRUPT SUPERLIB Alcee Hastings as HIS representative. Does he even VOTE?

I'm a life-long corporate exec. - once responsible for a $5 Billion P&L, owned two businesses ALONE, and now own a dog walking/pet sitting business. I'm sure you know what a P&L is, right?

A business where male idiots can't even walk their own macho powerful breed dogs properly without falling on the ground so they have to hire me.

MY $600K - $900K housing budget is worth just as much as your "dad"s". And I've been MORE THAN EASILY capable of spending it and deciding where to live since I was 21 years old.

I call BS on your story, anyway LOL. This is not our first time at this rodeo. It's generally accepted etiquette that you don't walk into someone's home and spit on their floor.
Clean up in aisle 6...

Old 04-04-2016, 12:21 PM

892 posts, read 859,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Please, God, no.

Note the requirements:

*2) 2 Car Garage
*3) Near / Or on the Beach
*4) Quiet / Mannered / Professional Adults
His budget is $600k -- $900k.
From Zillow: 3108 Riviera Dr, Key West, FL 33040 | MLS #123113 | Zillow

Lots of results very similar. It's in his budget, in fact it's near the bottom of his budget. It has a 2 car covered garage. I'd say anywhere in Key West is near the beach.

Can't speak for number 4 though, if I were 50+ Key West would be the place for me. Lots of people my age, beautiful climate and location. Daytona, not to be mean, is full of "country folk" as nicely as I will put it.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:36 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
From Zillow: 3108 Riviera Dr, Key West, FL 33040 | MLS #123113 | Zillow

Lots of results very similar. It's in his budget, in fact it's near the bottom of his budget. It has a 2 car covered garage. I'd say anywhere in Key West is near the beach.

Can't speak for number 4 though, if I were 50+ Key West would be the place for me. Lots of people my age, beautiful climate and location. Daytona, not to be mean, is full of "country folk" as nicely as I will put it.
????

I am lost. Are you for real? First of all, who in the world moves to Key West for Quiet/Mannered/Professional Adults???!! I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry...

Secondly, you can take my advice or not, but if your dad is looking to date, men like him far outnumber women, and the women there are probably not the type he's looking for. Unless he's gay, but you didn't mention that. Key West has a lot of older gay and bi men - which will be great for him if that's what he wants, or is another reason for him to hate it there if he sees that as a problem.

And third, you have written about 6 times on other threads that you dad refers to the Keys as "the Fleas" and says he "would not come back if someone paid him."

So is this whole thread a joke, or ? Why would you even include the Keys in the list if that is all true??

And again, you don't need to take my advice, but I think your dad is out of his depth. I already wrote in detail to another thread that I believe you were on regarding the hazards of Key West real estate. That house you cite does not mention "X zone" in its ad, and was built in the 1960s. That likely means it is below flood but pre-FIRM, which is going to cost an arm and a leg in flood insurance if he's not paying cash, not to mention probably has terrible mold, and is in serious danger of flooding with the next storm. Additionally, pre-FIRM structures cannot have repairs or additions that cost past a certain percentage of the house, which is a whole complicated set of worms which boils down basically to - if there is ever damage from the next storm, he will probably not legally be able to repair it but would instead be required to scrap it and build a stilt from the ground up, or walk away.

Now I can't say that for certain, because I don't have a flood map of that particular street and I don't know the last time it got an elevation certificate, or a FEMA inspection. But again, considering all the other factors that point to your father apparently not wanting to live in the Keys at all (nor living around Cubans), it makes no sense at all to move to Key West. I fail to see what at all about the loud, very liberal, diverse, bum-filled, party lifestyle that is heavy on 55+ men and light on sane "quiet/mannered/professional" women would be remotely appealing.

You do know Key West is in the archipelago your father so affectionately refers to as "the Fleas," right?

So are you just wasting everybody's time with this thread, or are you just forgetful about what your old man really wants?

***EDIT - did not realize Majami posted a reply to Madruga's thread. I got the 2 user names confused. Nonetheless, I'll leave what I wrote up, because if the OP is still considering the Keys seriously, then everything I said still stands. I don't get why he would have said he was open to Monroe County when he simultaneously says he hates it and would not move back if someone paid him.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:37 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
????

I am lost. Are you for real? First of all, who in the world moves to Key West for Quiet/Mannered/Professional Adults???!! I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry...

Secondly, you can take my advice or not, but if your dad is looking to date, men like him far outnumber women, and the women there are probably not the type he's looking for. Unless he's gay, but you didn't mention that. Key West has a lot of older gay and bi men - which will be great for him if that's what he wants, or is another reason for him to hate it there if he sees that as a problem.

And third, you have written about 6 times on other threads that you dad refers to the Keys as "the Fleas" and says he "would not come back if someone paid him."

So is this whole thread a joke, or ? Why would you even include the Keys in the list if that is all true??

And again, you don't need to take my advice, but I think your dad is out of his depth. I already wrote in detail to another thread that I believe you were on regarding the hazards of Key West real estate. That house you cite does not mention "X zone" in its ad, and was built in the 1960s. That likely means it is below flood but pre-FIRM, which is going to cost an arm and a leg in flood insurance if he's not paying cash, not to mention probably has terrible mold, and is in serious danger of flooding with the next storm. Additionally, pre-FIRM structures cannot have repairs or additions that cost past a certain percentage of the house, which is a whole complicated set of worms which boils down basically to - if there is ever damage from the next storm, he will probably not legally be able to repair it but would instead be required to scrap it and build a stilt from the ground up, or walk away.

Now I can't say that for certain, because I don't have a flood map of that particular street and I don't know the last time it got an elevation certificate, or a FEMA inspection. But again, considering all the other factors that point to your father apparently not wanting to live in the Keys at all (nor living around Cubans), it makes no sense at all to move to Key West. I fail to see what at all about the loud, very liberal, diverse, bum-filled, party lifestyle that is heavy on 55+ men and light on sane "quiet/mannered/professional" women would be remotely appealing.

You do know Key West is in the archipelago your father so affectionately refers to as "the Fleas," right?

So are you just wasting everybody's time with this thread, or are you just forgetful about what your old man really wants?

***EDIT - did not realize Majami posted a reply to Madruga's thread. I got the 2 user names confused. Nonetheless, I'll leave what I wrote up, because if the OP is still considering the Keys seriously, then everything I said still stands. I don't get why he would have said he was open to Monroe County when he simultaneously says he hates it and would not move back if someone paid him.

You are talking to the wrong person as you must have the names mixed up, Madruga is the one who is looking for information for his dad not Majami

Old 04-06-2016, 12:51 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times
Madruga & his dad are no longer members.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,476 times
I wouldn't go to the Boca area..the whole area south of palm beach is so congested. We are looking in Jacksonville to get away from the south. I have lived in south Florida since 1967. The up and coming area is Stuart. That would be where I would suggest for someone in their 50's. Naples is old...it's an old money city.palm

Old 11-26-2016, 01:14 PM

814 posts, read 2,042,667 times
my next door neighbor in big pine key lives in a house built in 1997 with a nice two car garage enclosed and street level. its on a boating canal and is worth approximately 500k. he keeps his old school 1940's hot rod in the garage year round. most new homes are stilt houses so you park under the house and in the shade too. code has raised the 1st floor elevation so high that you can just park under the house and add breakaway wall to let flood waters flow through under the home.. lots of 1980's and 1990's homes in my development have enclosed garages with doors. at least 3 homes on just my street have enclosed garages with doors. one thing about the lower keys is not too many waves and you are far from a major airport. lots of deer though. now they are building a concrete home with the entire first floor a garage you drive up a ramp to park the vehicles inside to keep them safe in a storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida