Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:29 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famalam View Post
On average since the year 2000, we have, at least if you count tropical storms...
why would you include a TS when talking about full blown hurricanes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 02:48 PM

809 posts, read 747,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Yup, a TS would probably just be a nuisance, but Tampa is particularly vulnerable to hurricane damage.

Read 'Gray swan' hurricanes could hit this century - Tech Insider

Specifically:

"One of the places most as risk for a gray swan is Tampa, Florida, which hasn't experienced a major hurricane since 1921, according to the researchers....Tampa is at an extremely low elevation and surrounded by shallow water perfect for churning up powerful waves. A 19-foot surge would put much of the area underwater".

I'm really glad I no longer live in South Tampa.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:27 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,181,039 times
Hurricanes is a big concern so Southern FL is most likely not a good choice. Tampa area has fresh water and sink hole problems so forget that. Jacksonville has less of a problem with hurricanes in the past. Even if you don't get hit, the entire state pays a price for massive hurricanes with respect to home insurance. The state still has Citizens Insurance but it's not cheap and they want to do away with it. The rule is stay at least 1 mile away from the water for insurance purposes. Also, I would worry about water. South Florida has a problem with salt water intrusion, Tampa not enough, Jacksonville has started to have salt water intrusion problems. I talked the a state engineer before moving from South Florida and he told me to try Orlando if I wanted to stay in Florida. That city got more aggressive in dealing with water.

If I had to move again I would leave the state and go where the chances of natural disasters is less. Eventually, FL will get slammed with a hurricane and or tornadoes.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:36 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Hurricanes is a big concern so Southern FL is most likely not a good choice. Tampa area has fresh water and sink hole problems so forget that. Jacksonville has less of a problem with hurricanes in the past. Even if you don't get hit, the entire state pays a price for massive hurricanes with respect to home insurance. The state still has Citizens Insurance but it's not cheap and they want to do away with it. The rule is stay at least 1 mile away from the water for insurance purposes. Also, I would worry about water. South Florida has a problem with salt water intrusion, Tampa not enough, Jacksonville has started to have salt water intrusion problems. I talked the a state engineer before moving from South Florida and he told me to try Orlando if I wanted to stay in Florida. That city got more aggressive in dealing with water.

If I had to move again I would leave the state and go where the chances of natural disasters is less. Eventually, FL will get slammed with a hurricane and or tornadoes.
Yes it will. Maybe this year or 50 years from now.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:53 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Yes it will. Maybe this year or 50 years from now.
Won't happen in Tampa in our lifetimes.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:01 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You guaranteeing that or is it just wishful thinking?

Old 04-08-2016, 04:04 AM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Seems that way. But our number is coming up and i say it will go down bad within the next 50 years.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:04 AM

809 posts, read 747,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Seems that way. But our number is coming up and i say it will go down bad within the next 50 years.
I'm guessing a fair percentage of people here agree with:

Gov. Rick Scott

But I remember my fear in '04 and '05 (Charlie). We were nature's pins at the wrong end of the bowling alley.

I agree with this article:

(9/23/2004) Blame Global Warming For Florida's Hurricane Conga Line

Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 AM

167 posts, read 165,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Implying south tampa wouldnt flood immensly during a tropical storm.

Quote:
And I think MOST people in the area has that mindset, so when it does happen its gonna be UGLY.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:44 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,144,659 times
Tallahassee has a nicer climate in the Winter/Fall/Spring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida