Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:43 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABC View Post
Daytona has a small town feel. Volusia County is one of the most treed counties in all Florida. The subject of traffic plays a part in any discussion today, especially heavily populated states like Florida. You did say you were about 50, and retired? So I'm guessing you don't want to live near major traffic jams? West Palm Beach has a big city feel, and your big love of Delray, you are smack in the middle of the South Florida concrete jungle. Both in Stuart and Delray decent 2 bedrooms homes start at around $250k. You say you want to visit high paced, expensive Delray but you passed over easy going, inexpensive, traffic-free, tree canopied Daytona? Delray is 100x more expensive than Cocoa, Daytona or St. Augustine. truthfully, it sounds like we don't know the true story where nor why you want to re-locate. I guess it all boils down to your budget and what you can afford. Have a good one hombre!
I'm not sure why a new poster wants to be argumentative but I'm open to all suggestions. How much traffic one is willing to bear is quite subjective, as is the volume of tourists as opposed to full-timers or snowbirds. It certainly is possible I've missed pockets of suitable locations but it would be impossible to see every square mile within twenty or thirty miles of the coast in a two week trip.

250 thousand for the right house would be a lot less than what I'm used to but don't want to get into the range of double that. Rather than complain about what I've seen and commented about why not suggest a specific area, even link an example or two of what you believe would work as someone has done with the blue house above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 11:00 AM

74 posts, read 77,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
There are a lot of different housing choices in those areas - I'd be looking for a smaller house near a "downtown" kind of area. On advice of people familiar with the area I checked out Merritt Island south of 520 and found nice houses, largely concentrated near the rivers but none of the downtown type areas I saw elsewhere; it's possible I missed something.

I liked the Cocoa Village area of Cocoa but saw little housing close by. Cocoa Beach, also south of 520, had some nice areas west of A1A and does have a little downtown in the area where A1A splits apart with a couple of blocks separating the northbound and southbound traffic. Melbourne has a very nice downtown but is older and doesn't have much of the type housing I was looking for.

Melbourne Beach and Indialantic also have small downtowns very close to the beach and have a range of housing options which may work for me - if they're what you want may be another story, just as there is historic Charleston and developer created Charleston.

There are certainly lots of choices but everyone has a different idea of what is the ideal place for them.
Thanks for your response! We really have no preference on the type of housing to tell you the truth since this is going to only be a short term stay. Something close to stuff and in a safe area and somewhat modern. I was just curious on your take on it while passing through.

Good luck with the rest of your scouting mission! On your way back up, if you're not fixated on Florida, check out Beaufort in SC. I like Tybee in GA as well, but I don't think that will fit your downtown criteria.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babu617 View Post
Thanks for your response! We really have no preference on the type of housing to tell you the truth since this is going to only be a short term stay. Something close to stuff and in a safe area and somewhat modern. I was just curious on your take on it while passing through.

Good luck with the rest of your scouting mission! On your way back up, if you're not fixated on Florida, check out Beaufort in SC. I like Tybee in GA as well, but I don't think that will fit your downtown criteria.
Saw Charleston, Beaufort, Savannah and Tybee on the way down; Beaufort has been in my sights for a few years. I was only there for one night so didn't get much of a feel for the people but liked the place, especially the historic district and the area just west of downtown. Tybee is another one of those places that seems in search of a soul with its artificially created communities. Very nice housing, just not for me.

I'm in Stuart until Friday with a side trip or two a little farther south and it seems like a nice little town, lots of restaurants and shops. The problem here though is between the river and the railroad tracks the downtown seems kind of isolated. I'll be checking out some housing areas tomorrow.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Comparing Beaufort to Stuart? Lol

You really have nothing better to do with your life? I'd hate to be you.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:54 AM

74 posts, read 77,223 times
Quote:
I, like a few other helpful folks are trying to advise you but you're biting the hand that feeds you. I am NF, lived all over the state of Florida. Myself, and few other NFers are giving people but honestly with your sorry attitude (not to mention you are lying because your story is contradictory), not to mention you are comparing a small country bumpkin town in South Carolina to Delray Beach and Stuart is about has strange as Lassie on Mars. Best of luck hombre. Lol
Kokonutty only brought it up because I mentioned it to him as a place he might like and potentially fit his criteria. I currently live in the SC area and happen to think it's really beautiful in a lot of areas, Beaufort being one. I realize this is a Florida forum, and it was off topic, so I apologize. Just trying to do one another a solid.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:48 PM

Spent some time in Stuart looking around a bit more and find the area near downtown has more housing available than first appearances showed. Stuart could work being just over the bridge to the beach and reasonable houses close to restaurants, etc.

Delray also has a great downtown with more places to eat than anyone could need and has reasonable houses walkable to Atlantic Blvd or Avenue north on both sides of Swinton with just a short ride to the beach. Both Stuart and Delray are worth looking into more in the future for me.

I have now moved over to the Gulf coast to see some friends so this scouting job is over for now. Thanks to all who offered helpful suggestions. Let me know if anyone is looking for anything similar.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:10 AM

23 posts, read 33,961 times
Did you get a chance to go thru Sebastian and if you did what were your thoughts? Been reading some good things about living in Sebastian.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modre View Post
Did you get a chance to go thru Sebastian and if you did what were your thoughts? Been reading some good things about living in Sebastian.
I did but, unless I missed it, there was no "there" there. Near the river was a small area composed more of a couple of small strip malls than what I would call a downtown area. The area was neat and well-maintained and was adjacent to a park that was being prepped for an Earth Day celebration, so there must be things going on there. There were a handful of restaurants, including a fairly large one on the river. I traveled up and down Main Street but it led me only to nondescript housing.

Of note was a bait and tackle shop with a vehicle (apparently the owner's) with a sign on it outside. What's surprising is that it was not a beat up pickup, or a pickup at all, but a pretty new, shiny, clean Mercedes sedan. I did not see any areas of houses with any particular character and trees were fairly scarce in most of the town.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:27 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,613 times
I grew up in Jupiter/Stuart area. You should find what you are looking for around there. Port Salerno, Jensen Beach, Hobe Sound are still pretty decent.
Though, from what I hear, the river is a mess from the Okeechobee water release a couple of months ago.
Might not be the best time to visit.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
I grew up in Jupiter/Stuart area. You should find what you are looking for around there. Port Salerno, Jensen Beach, Hobe Sound are still pretty decent.
Though, from what I hear, the river is a mess from the Okeechobee water release a couple of months ago.
Might not be the best time to visit.

I was there from Wednesday to Friday, found Stuart to be pretty close to what I'd be looking for. Not a chemist, but the river looked fine to me; it looks like there will be long term political and economic issues between government, fishing, and sugar interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida